Apple planning third campus after 'spaceship' is finished in 2015

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Rapid growth at Apple has the company already planning for a third corporate campus after it finishes work on its second, circular "spaceship" facility in Cupertino, Calif., by 2015.

Cupertino Mayor Gilbert Wong said an interview with the Mercury News that Apple executives told him the company is expanding so fast, they expect to begin working on a third campus after work is completed on their second in 2015. The new campus would reportedly be at a currently unknown location.

The details come as Apple is going through the approval process for its second campus with the City of Cupertino. Wong has said that he's certain the project will be approved.

As part of that process, the city will host a public meeting tonight, at 6:30 a.m. Pacific, to receive input on the scope of the Environmental Impact Report for what has been called "Apple Campus 2 Project." Due to limited seating, the city will provide a live webcast of the meeting.

Apple's second campus is planned for a 150-acre property the company already owns in Cupertino. The land was partially acquired from rival device maker Hewlett-Packard, who vacated its 98-acre campus in the summer of 2010.

The plans were first revealed by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs himself in June, when he made an appearance at a Cupertino City Council meeting to pitch the project. He described the main office building as looking "a little like a spaceship landed."

Since Jobs personally introduced the project at a Cupertino City Council meeting, Apple's plans for the mega-campus have already expanded. Jobs initially said the facility would host 12,000 employees, but Apple's own planning documents show it is now expected to have 13,000.

The Mercury News also revealed that the new campus may come with a statue of Jobs himself, as suggested by some city officials, to honor his contributions to the city of Cupertino.

Apple hopes to gain approval for its second campus by the end of 2012 to begin construction in 2013. A total of 13 different approvals must be granted.

The new office would comprise about 2.8 million square feet, and would include an auditorium that would hold 1,000 people, and new research facilities including 300,000 square feet. Until the new facility opens in 2015, Apple has leased 373,000 square feet of office space in Cupertino to house 13,000 workers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I am really considering getting back into the job market so I can work in that spaceship.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    Campus? How about taking some of that money you're sitting on and build manufacturing plants and facilities here in the US?

They're having problems building enough phones and pads and airs anyway. Why not make them here in modern, highly automated facilities? Why is it Apple can make a billion dollar commitment to Sharp to build a plant, but does nothing here?

If Hyundai and Honda and Toyota can build cars here in the US -- and make a profit doing so -- then Apple could build computers here and do the same.

Such plants, being heavily automated, might not create that many jobs. But I'd think that the spillover effects to the surrounding areas and local economies could be enormous. And SOME is much, much better than none.

So there it is. Invest in the US, and maybe the government will even give you your tax "holiday."
  • Reply 3 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am really considering getting back into the job market so I can work in that spaceship.

I just wanna be onboard when it goes geosynchronos over Cupertino.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Campus? How about taking some of that money you're sitting on and build manufacturing plants and facilities here in the US?

They're having problems building enough phones and pads and airs anyway. Why not make them here in modern, highly automated facilities? Why is it Apple can make a billion dollar commitment to Sharp to build a plant, but does nothing here?

If Hyundai and Honda and Toyota can build cars here in the US -- and make a profit doing so -- then Apple could build computers here and do the same.

Such plants, being heavily automated, might not create that many jobs. But I'd think that the spillover effects to the surrounding areas and local economies could be enormous. And SOME is much, much better than none.

So there it is. Invest in the US, and maybe the government will even give you your tax "holiday."

Exactly what sort of spillover be expected from a practically lights out automated factory that you envisage? It's not as though they will start to source parts locally... I'm sure they know the figures far better than you or I do, and frankly a Campus the size of the pentagon (with the people required to plan build and fit) and 13,000 salaried Americans has to be worthwhile.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    April 2nd 2020 - The largest corporation in the world today with a cash hoard of $523 Billion today announced record profits of $500 per share. Apple is now the 4th largest country in the world ahead now of California. Another 9th spaceships building is scheduled to complete in 2023 to house anther 25000 employees, another 5 are planned .

The 9 spaceships can now be seen from space. The Cool Aid zone is now encompassing the entire west coast. Jobs is planning to build 100 more spaceships from LA to Washington by 2030 to fulfill expansion needs. The SF Bay Area Transport agency is ordering another 50M iHover cars and the last remnant of the Bay Area Freeway system is due for demolition in 2025.

The new line of Apple hover cars is predicted to sell in excess of 580M next calendar year. Representing another 38% increase year over year. GM recently filed for bankruptcy after years of mismangement and lack of innovative new cars. Their line of chevy trucks is still selling well in Turkey! Appl meanwhile rumors say is about to relase a new telepathic interface which will revolutionize the touch interface in iOS 12. Microsoft still langishing at $24 is being sued by Apple for copying their iHover designs patents. Steve jobs is rumored to be on life support at Stanford medical Center is causing the share price to remain stagnant at 1650-1700 range with an earnings per share of 0.34 Apple is said to be using their telepathic inteface with Jobs to vet all new products at Apple. Government investigators are finishing up their investigation into share manipulation of APPL by market makers and Bank of America. IRS is considering taxing Apple an extra 1.5% to close deficit gap and finance Medicare and Social Security payments.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Reasons not to manufacture in the US, especially CA:

1. Hi wages especially if unions are involved

2. Hi payroll and other taxes. The government taxes employers for providing jobs!

3. Property taxes, insurance costs, workman's comp

4. Law suits and vulture lawyers

5. Hi corporate, state and local income taxes in excess of 40%.

Apple used to have an automated plant in CA, but they shut it down... made the original Mac. May be if they move to a low cost state like Texas or NC, SC, etc?
  • Reply 7 of 71
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    The new campus should definitely have a bar.

If you guys read the link to mercury news, they quote the mayor: "I think it makes sense to call it Apple 2. They have iPad 1 and iPad 2; iPhone 1 and iPhone 2. This building is probably going to have much more innovative technologies and products than what they have at" their first campus."

Made made laugh. The most rational mayor in the US.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The new campus should definitely have a bar.

Yes, so prototype iPhones can get lost on campus, rather than end up on Gizmodo.

• Reply 9 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Until the new facility opens in 2015, Apple has leased 373,000 square feet of office space in Cupertino to house 13,000 workers.

Ouch... what a logistical nightmare!
  • Reply 10 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Yes, so prototype iPhones can get lost on campus, rather than end up on Gizmodo.

Streamline the process.

PS: Whoopie Goldberg should totally run it.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Wanna job? just turn up
  • Reply 12 of 71
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Quote:

Streamline the process.

PS: Whoopie Goldberg should totally run it.

It will be called a spacebar or as someone said previously genius bar.

Also I dig the statue idea, though I don't know if Jobs would approve.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    I wonder if "the company is growing so fast" announcement was made now instead of later due to jimmy hoffa jr's accusing the company of being unpatriotic for not providing more jobs? Seems like egg-on-face for hoffa.

ahmico says: "Campus? How about taking some of that money you're sitting on and build manufacturing plants and facilities here in the US?"

So when you party at the "genius bar" at the new spaceship headquarters, you'll be having tea, i suspect.

ahmico says: "Such plants, being heavily automated, might not create that many jobs."

Oh, so you answered your own question? Things are never so simple as they first seem.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    I predict it will look like this:

• Reply 15 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

I wonder if "the company is growing so fast" announcement was made now instead of later due to jimmy hoffa jr's accusing the company of being unpatriotic for not providing more jobs? Seems like egg-on-face for hoffa.

Naw. Haffa wants union jobs (manufacturing). Not gonna happen. The jobs will be reasonably high-paying, but non-union. However, building the spaceship WILL provide quite a bit of work for lots of local union chapters.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You are right building overseas. They don't have to be responsible for paying people a livable wage. Or pay the taxes that provide revenues that keeps our society running.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

2. Hi payroll and other taxes. The government taxes employers for providing jobs!

Apple used to have an automated plant in CA, but they shut it down... made the original Mac. May be if they move to a low cost state like Texas or NC, SC, etc?

• Reply 17 of 71
    It would only be fitting if that one would look like a SpaceShip taking off.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Why not just double the floor count?
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Nah, the labor is still way cheaper in southeast Asia.

Plus, 95%+ of the components are coming from factories in the region. From a supply chain management perspective, it makes more sense to keep final assembly in the region.

Foxconn can get touchscreen panel deliveries via rail or truck. If manufacturing was in Round Rock, TX, it would have to go via sea (slow) or air freight (very expensive).
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Exactly what sort of spillover be expected from a practically lights out automated factory that you envisage? It's not as though they will start to source parts locally...

The automotive plants I mentioned are all highly automated, and still manage to employ hundreds of people each, and they do it here in the US. Those people, in turn, support and help maintain many local businesses buying groceries, clothing, furniture and appliances, by going out to restaurants, and so on. They buy homes and pay local and state and property taxes.

Spillover effects, indeed.

Apple is one of the companies lobbying for a corporate tax "holiday" in which to bring tons of offshore cash back to the US. I say we give it to them, on the condition they build more iStuff here in the US.

Not just designed here. Made here.