Purported Apple iPhone 5 cases again suggest hardware redesign

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Who knows what these cases are for, but I just can't see them going back to the 3GS design with all its curves. They were so proud of the physical design of the iPhone 4. It was completely new and compared to some finely crafted camera (or something like that). Even if they decided to tweak the antennae design, I'd think they would keep the same squared off, edge to edge glass, metal band, round buttons.....design.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

Question to the gallery: Why would Apple give the iPod Touch 3G capability?

iCloud

Quote:

If they did that, it would have the same internals as an iPhone - it essentially would BE just another iPhone model.

I don't think so. My guess is that it would have 3G data, but no 3G voice capability. I believe there is a difference in the radio, but I'm not sure.

Quote:

The iPad is a different form factor, so it makes sense to have data only 3G options there. An iPhone IS an iPod Touch with 3G. Admittedly you can't get data only plans on it - oh wait, you can, you just have to buy it unlocked out of contract - then you can buy whatever plan you like with it!

I don't think you can do this. I think the providers have been pretty firm about dongle-ing data and voice plans together if you want to use a smart phone on their network (at least in the USA, anyway). Not really fair in my opinion.

Quote:

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I honestly don't see the business sense, from Apple's perspective, in providing a 3G Touch. Nor do I see the logic in wanting to buy one...

I pretty much agree with you if it remains the same size. I could see it if the if the display were 5 inches.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I could see the current 3.5" Touch and iPhone along with a new 4" Touch and iPhone. The Touch with cellular chips and the iPhone with true "world mode" chips.

Or a Samsung device.

Microsoft

Google

Adobe

Samsung

next?

• Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

I don't think so. My guess is that it would have 3G data, but no 3G voice capability. I believe there is a difference in the radio, but I'm not sure.

Uh? so they'll just use VoIP for phone calls.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:

... The major reason I believe these cases do in fact represent an iPhone and not an iPod Touch is the slight wedge shape. That shape would only be used with the intention that people will be holding it up to their ears to talk on it. There is no logical reason to have that kind of tapering on an iPod Touch. ...

Just to play devil's advocate ... typing.

Specifically thumb typing on the slightly larger screen would be improved by being thinner at the bottom. Also, the difference between the top and the bottom is very, very, small so it might not have to have a reason at all.

Just to keep it interesting, I've thought of another reason why it doesn't make much sense for this to be the new iPhone 5 design. The antenna.

For this to be the new iPhone 5, the antenna would have had to be completely redesigned even from the CDMA/GSM hybrid design they only recently debuted with the Verizon phone. This redesigned antenna would have to be better than the current antenna (one of the best currently available or by some accounts *the* best currently available), for it to be worthwhile changing the design.

If all those parts leaks are not bogus (and we have no reason to think they are), there is also a version of the iPhone (5, 4s, whatever), coming out very soon that will keep the same design as the iPhone 4 antenna. So these two types of antennas will be on sale side by side for comparison.

If the older iPHone 4 antenna design is so bad, why keep it on sale? If the new one is so good, why keep the old one on sale beside it to show how crappy the old one supposedly is?
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:

iCloud

I don't think you can do this. I think the providers have been pretty firm about dongle-ing data and voice plans together if you want to use a smart phone on their network (at least in the USA, anyway). Not really fair in my opinion.

I pretty much agree with you if it remains the same size. I could see it if the if the display were 5 inches.

iCloud is actually a good reason - I concede that point to you. Are you saying that in the US, you can't walk in to AT&T and say you want to buy a Data plan with a SIM Card, and not have your device with you? Theoretically, could you not put a SIM from anything into an iPad for example and it would work as long as you have a data plan of some kind on that SIM? Hmm, haven't lived in the US for three years now (am an American, born and raised) but here in Sweden I can walk into any carrier and buy a SIM card with whatever plan I want, and then I can use that SIM on whatever device I want, swap it out between devices, etc.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh? so they'll just use VoIP for phone calls.

Yeah? So?
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Still not buying it.

And by that I mean I'm not buying the rumour and I'm also not buying the phone if it turns out to be true. Who wants to put a mini-iPad up to their ear?

IMO if this is the new iPhone, Apple is making a tragic error.

Making an iPhone that is slightly bigger than the current one would be a tragic error? It's hard to take you seriously with a comment like that.

Like many of the others I think these cases may be for the upcoming iPod touch revision (possibly even re-named).

There is another possible explanation. China is home to Apple's manufacturing. China is also home to dozens of fake Apple stores and hundreds of manufacturers of counterfeit products who operate with impunity by providing jobs and probably bribes to government officials. The cases could be for the soon-to-be-released iPhone 5C, the fake Chinese version.

Someone in China with good connections could probably manufacture and sell 1 million counterfeit iPhones per month and there'd be little anyone in the USA could do about it.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:

iCloud is actually a good reason - I concede that point to you. Are you saying that in the US, you can't walk in to AT&T and say you want to buy a Data plan with a SIM Card, and not have your device with you? Theoretically, could you not put a SIM from anything into an iPad for example and it would work as long as you have a data plan of some kind on that SIM? Hmm, haven't lived in the US for three years now (am an American, born and raised) but here in Sweden I can walk into any carrier and buy a SIM card with whatever plan I want, and then I can use that SIM on whatever device I want, swap it out between devices, etc.

I had a friend a couple of years ago who was using an iPhone with voice-only. They somehow detected that his device was an iPhone and forced him to buy a data plan in order to use the iPhone on the network. I read on a forum just the other day (it may have been AI) that someone was forced to buy the minimum voice plan in order to get a data plan for the iPhone. Both of these were with AT&T. I don't know if these experiences are commonplace, but I do seem to remember AT&T announcing they would require a data plan in order to use a smartphone on the network.

As far as switching out SIMs, I don't know. I haven't heard anybody bragging about doing it. We only have two, non-compatible network options for iPhone providers here.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:

Just to play devil's advocate ... typing.

Specifically thumb typing on the slightly larger screen would be improved by being thinner at the bottom. Also, the difference between the top and the bottom is very, very, small so it might not have to have a reason at all.

Just to keep it interesting, I've thought of another reason why it doesn't make much sense for this to be the new iPhone 5 design. The antenna

Fair enough with typing, and I assume you mean so that the thumbs can reach more comfortably with the thinner profile at the bottom. However, with the screen size we're talking abour here, I don't see there being any benefit - especially since iOS 5 has that nifty split keyboard option. I do admit it would a very Apple-esque attention to detail design touch though.

As to the antenna, I would assume the supposed iPhone 5 would have the same concept design as the 3G iPads, with a wide black plastic band at the top of the device, as well as a large Apple logo in the same material. They would keep the iPhone 4 design around because #1, they don't feel it was bad at all, and #2, they feel they have improved on its design with the tweaking they have done to it.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:

I had a friend a couple of years ago who was using an iPhone with voice-only. They somehow detected that his device was an iPhone and forced him to buy a data plan in order to use the iPhone on the network. I read on a forum just the other day (it may have been AI) that someone was forced to buy the minimum voice plan in order to get a data plan for the iPhone. Both of these were with AT&T. I don't know if these experiences are commonplace, but I do seem to remember AT&T announcing they would require a data plan in order to use a smartphone on the network.

As far as switching out SIMs, I don't know. I haven't heard anybody bragging about doing it. We only have two, non-compatible network options for iPhone providers here.

Wow that blows...excuse my language...but then a world mode iPhone with 4 carriers to choose from sounds like the best thing that could happen to you! With AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile all forced to compete for iPhone customers, surely one will decide to break from the oligarchy collusion and offer better service options and freedom regarding plan selection, and force the others to react...
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:

Wow that blows...excuse my language...but then a world mode iPhone with 4 carriers to choose from sounds like the best thing that could happen to you! With AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile all forced to compete for iPhone customers, surely one will decide to break from the oligarchy colusion and offer better service options and freedom regarding plan selection, and force the others to react...

Yep. Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uberfoto View Post

Quit posting cases obviously made for the iPod Touch and claiming they're for the iPhone 5.

Feels like AI is just trying to drive more clicks and traffic by labeling it as iPhone 5 related.

I agree. These 'case redesigns' are clearly iPod Touch because of their thinness alone. There's no way they would make that design mistake on the iPhone when a phone should be thick enough to hold on the edges.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Making an iPhone that is slightly bigger than the current one would be a tragic error? It's hard to take you seriously with a comment like that....

No, I meant making an iPhone 5 that looks like a mini iPad with the curved aluminium back and the bigger screen etc. would be a tragic error.

If you look into the numbers, there really aren't that many people at all who would like the bigger screen or are asking for it. It's primarily a USA-only phenomenon. The iPhone 4 design is one of the best ever, with an award winning antenna design that performs better than most if not all competitors. More importantly, it's one of the most popular designs for a phone ever.

To replace it the very next year by going essentially *backwards* to the old design, while simultaneously bowing to public pressure to make a bigger screen would indeed be tragic.

A smartphone is also a luxury item and people buy it for reasons of status and style as much as for more functional reasons. The iPhone 4 design is classy and sophisticated. The iPad is more functional and so will this be. No Fortune 500 business dude is going to replace their steel and glass beauty with some clunky aluminium mini iPad with a black bar on the back for the antenna.

If this is the new iPhone 5 design I predict at least some major kickback from the consumers. It's not really what most people seem to want. On the other hand it would be the coolest iPod touch ever.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uberfoto View Post

Quit posting cases obviously made for the iPod Touch and claiming they're for the iPhone 5.

How do you explain the opening for the silent ringer switch if its not a iPhone, or the iPhone-like positioning of the head phones or the obvious iPhone-like microphone and speaker setup at the bottom.

If this is not an iPhone 5, boy Apple is going to release one of a bombshell iPod upgrade
  • Reply 36 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantinian View Post

How do you explain the opening for the silent ringer switch if its not a iPhone, or the iPhone-like positioning of the head phones or the obvious iPhone-like microphone and speaker setup at the bottom.

If this is not an iPhone 5, boy Apple is going to release one of a bombshell iPod upgrade

If Apple foolishly designed by committee that would be to switch between iOS and Mac OS UIs.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If Apple foolishly designed by committee that would be to switch between iOS and Mac OS UIs.

Or Boot Camp for iPhone...

Maybe a click-wheel for iOS, Android, WP7, WebOS, BlackBerry...
  • Reply 38 of 61
    So much time has gone by since OS 5 features were discussed at Apples last event, I have forgotten what they were. How much longer before there is a new phone?

I think Apple risks losing customer's interest by waiting so long for new iPhones and the new OS.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

I think Apple risks losing customer's interest by waiting so long for new iPhones and the new OS.

Wow, you're serious, aren't you.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

Still not buying it.

And by that I mean I'm not buying the rumour and I'm also not buying the phone if it turns out to be true. Who wants to put a mini-iPad up to their ear?

I would, and will. Granted, I can't wait to get rid of my BB; I'd buy the iPhone 5 if it were made from water buffalo dung and bird spit.

But I like this shape. It looks like a return to a form factor that's been constant across the Apple telecom line *except* for the iPhone 4, and I think it's a more streamlined look.

Is it just me, or in the edge-on images of the blue case does it look like the top of the phone is a little thicker than the bottom (much like the 'angled back' rumors we saw a few weeks ago)?