Samsung to hedge its Android Galaxy Tab with new Windows 8 offerings

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

@pooman625

My Tablet PC's all use Wacom's approach. They do not feel cheap, nor do I believe are less expensive to make. The problem with capacitive screens, as used with the iPad, is that they make it very difficult to write. The wrist causes too many problems. Try taking notes in a science based course and you will see why writing is still important. Unfortunately, people are wedded to the 2 dimensional ancient typewriter as an input device. The addition of touch is very nice, but it represents more of a content sucking approach rather than active creation of ideas.

Anyway, to each his own. Unless we no longer consider handwriting important there has to be more than just the iPad for people to use, especially in education.

Philip

Philip...you may want to re-examine Android. Samsung has released the Note which does what you mention. Touch and stylus. The "Note". http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...msungunpacked/

To me this looks SICK. As in SWEEEEET. I have to see one whenever it comes to the US, mostly check compatibility of it with my pants pockets! I hope it's not too large!
  • Reply 22 of 32
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    This is what I said all along. What Android for tablet bring to the table? it doesn't work seamlessly with your PC nor MAC. If you want Google services you can get it from any devices (save for 3D map). If people are smart and they don't want Apple product for whatever reason, they should just wait to see what Windows 8 will bring. At least they will have a good chance to have something exclusive like MS Office on their tablets vs none on Android.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Unless windoze 8 is some radical redesign to address the battery and slowness issues, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tell me about it. Powered off to desktop in 8 seconds. 8 whole seconds!!!

It's disgusting. I could have won a pro bullriding championship with that time and still had a second to spare, but nooooooooooooo. I'll have to use that valuable time w8-ing around for dodgy old Windoze W8 to load.

Let's hope they redeem themselves and do something better with battery life!
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Yes, because making a tablet for an OS you already make computers and phones for is TOTALLY hedging your bet.

You used the same title when they announced the newest version of Bada as well.

are they also "hedging their bet against windows" because they made Chrome and Android devices?

As a matter of fact, Samsung was selling Windows-based tablets years before iPad and long before Google's MeToo OS showed up on the scene. If anything, using Android was to hedge their bets against Microsoft ever shipping a successful tablet OS.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Samsung, sneaky little bastards, thugs

Apple innovates, Samsung can't. Apple makes products that people WANT to buy, Samsung tricks them into buying a knockoff. Apple treats its customers with respect, Samsung lies to them. Apple leads in tech, Samsung copies. The Apple brand is respected, Samsung sucks.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Yes, that is hedging ones bet. I thought they were being kind with that description. They could have gone with something like " Samsung throws more at the wall to see what might stick".

Doesn't Samsung also make a Google Chrome OS notebook in addition to Windoze notebooks? Talk about throwing stuff at walls...
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

Samsung had only actually sold 20,000 devices of the million tablets it pushed into the channel

And if it's even slightly true, where's the fire sale?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Apple innovates, Samsung can't. Apple makes products that people WANT to buy, Samsung tricks them into buying a knockoff. Apple treats its customers with respect, Samsung lies to them. Apple leads in tech, Samsung copies. The Apple brand is respected, Samsung sucks.

Are you talking about smartphones only or something else? Plasmas, LCD panels? DRAMs, NANDs or batteries and hard drives?
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Doesn't Samsung also make a Google Chrome OS notebook in addition to Windoze notebooks? Talk about throwing stuff at walls...

Sometimes "the only way out is through". Maybe they should come up with even more os/skin options.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Today Apple won the lawsuit against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Duesseldorf. Samsung must not sell the Galaxy Tab in Germany.

http://www.n-tv.de/technik/Galaxy-Ta...le4261101.html

Sorry the linked article is in German.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Tell me about it. Powered off to desktop in 8 seconds. 8 whole seconds!!!

It's disgusting. I could have won a pro bullriding championship with that time and still had a second to spare, but nooooooooooooo. I'll have to use that valuable time w8-ing around for dodgy old Windoze W8 to load.

Let's hope they redeem themselves and do something better with battery life!

I was referring to existing windoze 7 tablets like the slate. I dont have any info on W8.

Healthcare still uses slates and other older tablets.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

I was referring to existing windoze 7 tablets like the slate. I don't have any info on W8.

Well it seems like today is your lucky day! Now you know one more thing than you did previously

As a bonus it seems like one of your Windows 8 dreams has been answered! Hallelujah!
  • Reply 32 of 32
    ...Apple seeks to prevent it from using "common, functional, obvious and otherwise unprotectable elements of design patents, trademarks, and trade dress...

So they knew Apple couldn't protect is design choices, so they copied. Just looking at the Galaxy S2; the 4 docked icons (and the split between the 4 docked icons and the rest), the red numbered bubble icon for new messages etc. tells me that they deserve to get sued.

...rather than seeking to innovate in the face of legitimate competition from Samsung

Did they just seriously say that? Practice what you preach. Why don't they "seek to innnovate" in the face of competition?