Frozen Mail problem with Lion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There are many posts out there about problems with the Lion version of Mail,

I have had a few of them with crashes, missing, and duplicated mail.

SInce installing 10.7.1 it stabilized and the problems went away.

Today a nasty new problem has cropped up. Here are the symptoms.

When I start Mail I get is the spinning wheel. It doesn't get to the point of asking for my password.

No other applications are affected. I have force quit, logged off, and restarted several times but to no avail.

There is nothing wrong with my mail servers which are at AOL and GMAIL as I can still access both fine using my Mobile and my laptop which is running Leopard and previous version of Mail.

Don't want to have to reinstall Mail but unless there are bright ideas out there am guessing thats what I will have to do.

Am wondering if anyone else has seen this or has a solution ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

There are many posts out there about problems with the Lion version of Mail,

I have had a few of them with crashes, missing, and duplicated mail.

SInce installing 10.7.1 it stabilized and the problems went away.

Today a nasty new problem has cropped up. Here are the symptoms.

When I start Mail I get is the spinning wheel. It doesn't get to the point of asking for my password.

No other applications are affected. I have force quit, logged off, and restarted several times but to no avail.

There is nothing wrong with my mail servers which are at AOL and GMAIL as I can still access both fine using my Mobile and my laptop which is running Leopard and previous version of Mail.

Don't want to have to reinstall Mail but unless there are bright ideas out there am guessing thats what I will have to do.

Am wondering if anyone else has seen this or has a solution ?

I found a post on the suggesting going into System prefs and checking the mail accounts were intact. Somehow the param to use Gmail for mail was missing. Re added GMail as a mail account and its working again.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

I found a post on the suggesting going into System prefs and checking the mail accounts were intact. Somehow the param to use Gmail for mail was missing. Re added GMail as a mail account and its working again.

New problem is I can see the mail box but now have 2 of them. Neither are showing all of my messages. And worse I can't send mail.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

New problem is I can see the mail box but now have 2 of them. Neither are showing all of my messages. And worse I can't send mail.

In the end I gave up and reset Mail up again from scratch.

Wasted a whole evening on this.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    That is exactly why I don't yet switch to Lion.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

That is exactly why I don't yet switch to Lion.

You got it, bro!