Apple's legal effort to bar Samsung tablets, smartphones extends to Japan

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If all you say is true, then Apple seems to have made a pretty poor choice of Japanese service providers to hitch their wagon to.

So it's all Apple's choice? The carriers and their demands play no part?

The iPhone has brought tidy profits to Softbank, I'm sure both they and Apple aren't complaining.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post

The only reason it's selling so well is that DoCoMo and AU don't have the iPhone yet.

Not only that, but they are marketing the hell out of Android over there at the moment. Every single commercial break has at least one cm for an Android device on DocoMo or AU. It's all in the marketing for companies like Samsung who can't innovate for themselves.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Nice post. It's a tough forum for people that share an openminded philosophy towards tech.

Yes, Apple is waging a patent world war and it's shameful. And anti competitive and stifling to innovation.

With respect I disagree. If Samsung would have innovated from the beginning, Apple wouldn't be up there back side. In the end, win or lose.. The message To All from Apple.. When we move into an existing space, innovate & create demand.. The "me too" will follow, put copiers better be dam beware!!
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jahblade View Post

With respect I disagree. If Samsung would have innovated from the beginning, Apple wouldn't be up there back side. In the end, win or lose.. The message To All from Apple.. When we move into an existing space, innovate & create demand.. The "me too" will follow, put copiers better be dam beware!!

apple is suing HTC. HTCs sense is very un iOS like. most Android users and sites have issue with Samsung and it's blatant copying with touchwiz and some iterations of the Galaxy S (notably T-Mobiles)

Even using a 4 icon grid design it can be differentiated easily. Stock Android doesn't look much like iOS (unless you're an iPhanboy) TouchWiz does. TouchWiz needs to die.

I hope if one thing were to come from these suits it would be forcing Samsung to change the look of Touchwiz
  • Reply 65 of 79
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The difference is that Apple actually invented the technology it accused HTC — and by proxy, Google — of “stealing” (to use Steve Jobs’ verb). One of the patents Apple cited in its 2010 suit — Patent No. 7479949 — is a 358-page document signed by Jobs himself that covers everything from the way a finger touches the screen of a smartphone to the heuristics that turn those touches into commands.

HTC and Google, by contrast, are accusing Apple (whose smartphone designs they have plainly copied) of violating patents they bought fourth or fifth hand.

Fortune
  • Reply 66 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The difference is that Apple actually invented the technology it accused HTC ? and by proxy, Google ? of ?stealing? (to use Steve Jobs? verb). One of the patents Apple cited in its 2010 suit ? Patent No. 7479949 ? is a 358-page document signed by Jobs himself that covers everything from the way a finger touches the screen of a smartphone to the heuristics that turn those touches into commands.

HTC and Google, by contrast, are accusing Apple (whose smartphone designs they have plainly copied) of violating patents they bought fourth or fifth hand.

Fortune

show me an HTC phone/tablet or UI that looks like the iPhone/iPad or iOS. I dare you.

show me where stock Android phone or tablet looks like iOS.

companies competing with companies by using similar advanced tech/methods is not stealing. Samsung? no real argument from me (though functionally iOS and TouchWhizified Android are VERY different)

you guys really think competition shouldn't adapt to new rules because the game changer doesn't really want to play the game?
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple did not invent the smartphone. But nothing looked exactly like - or behaved exactly like the iPhone before the iPhone. Now every phone looks somewhat like or behaves somewhat like the iPhone.

Before the iPhone most everyone was copying the Blackberry. When the iPhone was first launched many people derided it because it was so different from the popular phones of the time.

Apple is within its right to protect its intellectual property. If it is successful or not depends on the ruling bodies.

Well said!
  • Reply 68 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

show me an HTC phone/tablet or UI that looks like the iPhone/iPad or iOS. I dare you.

show me where stock Android phone or tablet looks like iOS.

companies competing with companies by using similar advanced tech/methods is not stealing. Samsung? no real argument from me (though functionally iOS and TouchWhizified Android are VERY different)

you guys really think competition shouldn't adapt to new rules because the game changer doesn't really want to play the game?

I'm not sure how HTC came into this discussion, but Apple's case against them deals with technical patents and not trade dress or design patents so it doesn't matter if it looks like iOS or not.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

most Android users and sites have issue with Samsung and it's blatant copying

IOS 5 is actually meant to be copying some of the features of touchwiz.

All very very strange.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:

This particular suit is a bit more important to Apple IMO. The single best selling smartphone there is NOT the iPhone, but Samsung's Galaxy II.

Apple's moving as fast as possible to nip the success of Samsung's Galaxy II in the bud. Sad to see it's thru legal actions rather than delivering a equal/superior product at an equivalent/better price and letting the consumer choose the winner.

Wow. Just wow. Gatorguy, you've outdone yourself this time.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Because carriers are subsidizing devices more than ever before and stuffing as much bloatware onto them as they can, making it easier and easier to go over your usage. Prices are increasing.

There's two ways to increase the profitability of a candy bar:

1: increase the price

2: reduce it's size and keep the same price.

I just moved country and I'm keeping my old SIM on roaming in a not-too-old Nokia "non-smartphone". The settings for turning of data roaming while keeping voice & text roaming are diabolical. In the end, like most suggest online, you just wipe all the data connection settings from the phone so it won't connect.

The iOS one-swipe to turn off data roaming can not be underestimated. Not to mention all the other things that enable what is essentially a SINGLE phone model to continue to sell huge amounts 15 months AFTER its release.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    Quote:

This particular suit is a bit more important to Apple IMO. The single best selling smartphone there is NOT the iPhone, but Samsung's Galaxy II.

Imagine instead that this image says, "This is what anti-Apple shills actually believe."

And that the image is a collage of lies they have told over the years.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Imagine instead that this image says, "This is what anti-Apple shills actually believe."

And that the image is a collage of lies they have told over the years.

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/05/26...uring-q1-2011/

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-lg-goods.html

. . . which makes IntoMobile, Strategy Analytics and 9to5Mac (where it was also reported) anti-Apple shills.

By the way Tallest Skill, I love some off the images you come up with. Seriously!
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/05/26...uring-q1-2011/

. . . which makes IntoMobile, Strategy Analytics and 9to5Mac (where it was also reported) anti-Apple shills.

By the way Tallest Skill, I love some off the images you come up with. Seriously!

WOW, foot in mouth. I totally blanked on "best selling there". Sorry about that.

And thanks.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WOW, foot in mouth. I totally blanked on "best selling there". Sorry about that.

And thanks.

Quite OK. You really think I'd make a rookie mistake like that?

. . . uh, don't answer that.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:

Apple's moving as fast as possible to nip the success of Samsung's Galaxy II in the bud. Sad to see it's thru legal actions rather than delivering a equal/superior product at an equivalent/better price and letting the consumer choose the winner.

1) You mention the Galxaxy II but then supply links to the Galaxy S?

2) Your links didn't prove the Samsung Galaxy S is the best selling smartphone in Japan, only that it sold more units in a certain quarter, which happens to be the quarter it was released when the iPhone 4 was over 6 months old. It's also sold on Japan's larger carrier NTT DoCoMo while the iPhone is sold on SoftBank. Same goes for the Samsung Galaxy S II released when the iPhone was a year old. Dis you not expect flash in the pan sales increase for a new product? How is that Galaxy S selling now after 3 quarters?

3) Can you back up your claim that any single Samsung smartphone model has sold more units than the iPhone 4 in Japan since its debut?
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You mention the Galxaxy II but then supply links to the Galaxy S?

2) Your links didn't prove the Samsung Galaxy S is the best selling smartphone in Japan, only that it sold more units in a certain quarter, which happens to be the quarter it was released when the iPhone 4 was over 6 months old. It's also sold on Japan's larger carrier NTT DoCoMo while the iPhone is sold on SoftBank.

3) Can you back up your claim that any single Samsung smartphone model has sold more units than the iPhone 4 in Japan since its debut?

Of course not Solipsism. More iPhones were sold in the past. But that was then. .l .

The Nokia 1100 is the best selling phone of all time. 200 million of 'em snatched up by consumers. What would that have to do with today's claims of sales leaders?
  • Reply 78 of 79
    Quote:

Of course not Solipsism. More iPhones were sold in the past. But that was then. .l .

The Nokia 1100 is the best selling phone of all time. 200 million of 'em snatched up by consumers. What would that have to do with today's claims of sales leaders?

1) I don't see how you can define 'sold' without referring to the past.

2) So then what's your point? MS announced astounding market share grab of the Zune for some oddly specific dates.

3) As previously stated in other threads, Android (as a platform) should totally dominate iPhone (as a device) due to very different ways in which the companies involved tackle their markets. This is the nature of having unlimited potential vendors who release dozens of handset models per year conpared to a single company with a historically yearly update cycle.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I don't see how you can define 'sold' without referring to the past.

2) So then what's your point? MS announced astounding market share grab of the Zune for some oddly specific dates.

3) As previously stated in other threads, Android (as a platform) should totally dominate iPhone (as a device) due to very different ways in which the companies involved tackle their markets. This is the nature of having unlimited potential vendors who release dozens of handset models per year conpared to a single company with a historically yearly update cycle.

My point? In Japan the Galaxy SII is (as compared to was) the best selling smartphone, and according to more than one source. I thought that was what was originally claimed rather than the best selling phone of all time. Did you read both links?