So, is Lion worth the upgrade?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    "Worth"

is a subjective topic. I've seen no show stoppers from my PoV but then again I'm using my Mac differently than other people.

As always if you require stability and the least amount of bugs you're probably best off waiting until 10.7.4 or later.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post

And you are 'millions of people', right?

Five seconds of searching will show that I'm not the only one without problems. Please stop the act.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

if you require stability and the least amount of bugs you're probably best off waiting until 10.7.4 or later.

Finally a sensible comment on this subject! Unlike some others'.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

As always if you require stability and the least amount of bugs you're probably best off waiting until 10.7.4 or later.

No... If you require the fewest bugs and the most stability, then you should wait for 10.7.5 !!

No... that wasn't right... If you require the fewest bugs and the most stability, then you should wait for 10.7.6 !!

No... still got it wrong... If you require the fewest bugs and the most stability, then you should wait for 10.7.7 !!

No... I'll get it right this time!... If you require the fewest bugs and the most stability, then you should wait for 10.7.8 !!
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

No... If you require the fewest bugs and the most stability, then you should wait for 10.7.5 !!

No... that wasn't right... If you require the fewest bugs and the most stability, then you should wait for 10.7.6 !!

No... still got it wrong... If you require the fewest bugs and the most stability, then you should wait for 10.7.7 !!

No... I'll get it right this time!... If you require the fewest bugs and the most stability, then you should wait for 10.7.8 !!

If you REALLY require the fewest bugs and most stability, you want Mac OS 7.6 (no 10 in front). It's the first to have the "Mac OS" monicker, and it deserved it.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Apparently I touched an open nerve.

Sorry guys!

• Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

Sorry guys!

I don't have a creative reaction image showing a nondescript person creating a metaphorical wound on a topic and then pouring salt on it himself, so just imagine one here.

And given my penchant of photoshopping Steve Jobs into my reaction image scenarios, it probably wouldn't be well received, anyway.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

Sorry guys!

Not to worry... osmosis will create a monopoly and then we'll start paying attention to what you post.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:

Not to worry... osmosis will create a monopoly and then we'll start paying attention to what you post.

My mis-take! I should of cour-se have bro-ken up the dif-fi-cult words in syl-la-bles for you guys.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Lion sucks but you'll need to get the latest and greatest software.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Correction: Lion sucks AND you need the latest and greatest software, AND many older applications won't work anymore.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chuck O. Jones View Post

Correction: Lion sucks AND you need the latest and greatest software, AND many older applications won't work anymore.

• Reply 33 of 48
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post

Is there a particular reason you are replying to your own accounts?

Just to be clear to other users, Rokcet Scientist = Parttimer = Chuck O Jones = Quartermaster.

There's bound to be someone who finds some common ground with you without you having to create your own friends.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo

There were a few PPC surprises but not too many. Most software packages will be Intel-compatible by now. I've found Lion to be very similar to Snow Leopard overall and so I'd say there's not all that many compelling reasons to upgrade.

Some might say that having few reasons to upgrade and there being issues would make it a bad update but I don't consider it to be bad at all. Some of the features are quite nice and long overdue but if you are happy with Snow Leopard, just don't feel like you have to rush into updating.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Is there a particular reason you are replying to your own accounts?

Just to be clear to other users, Rokcet Scientist = Parttimer = Chuck O Jones = Quartermaster.

I did not know that. I seriously did think that Quartermaster was Parttimer, but I didn't know about the others.

Can't we just blanket IP ban all the accounts, or are there legitimate users near him that would be affected?
  • Reply 35 of 48
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can't we just blanket IP ban all the accounts, or are there legitimate users near him that would be affected?

It's an option, I will check which of the available options will be the most suitable.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    I won't be upgrading my laptop anytime soon.

Reasons are.

I have an incompatible version of MS Office that will cost $120 to upgrade. In theory Pages replaces Word but it won't even read documents that are password protected.

I have an incompatible but latest decent version of Quicken with 15 years of data that I can't afford to lose, and the only version of Quicken on Lion is hopelessly inadequate..

Lion Calendar is very flakey. First t duplicated all data then it lost several months all my calendar data and had to reenter a large number of events.

I spent all of Thursday evening sorting out my mail which had frozen and required a re-install, having lost several emails.

Although 10.7.1 cut out the daily crashes that many on this forum blamed on Adobe it still crashes every 3 or 4 days usually after the machine has been in sleep mode.

By the way none of these problems are just me as they are extensive documented on Apple forums.

Bottom line for me Lion looks great and the UI features are futuristic. However if you really rely on your machine for serious or business purposes stay on Leopard for at least one more release.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    I upgraded weeks ago and have never regretted it...

I've had NONE of the problems you listed (or any others for that matter)... the iMacs stay on all the time, restarted only when installs require it, or when the power dies. Not often. Not a single crash yet since the problem-free upgrades.

The Mini is always on, 'cept it's set to turn off during the night when it's never used and restart in the morning. SO daily cycles and never a crash or problem.

Only app that failed? Rosetta Stone didn't work (5 year old PPC app), so I upgraded to the latest version and THAT works fine... also garnered me iPad and iPhone support for Rosetta Stone... If I'm gonna run the latest OS, I might as well run the latest versions of other Apps if needed!

You're welcome to all your problems, but if there were really that many problems with it en masse, it would make headlines...
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

Only app that failed? Rosetta Stone didn't work (5 year old PPC app), so I upgraded to the latest version and THAT works fine... also garnered me iPad and iPhone support for Rosetta Stone... If I'm gonna run the latest OS, I might as well run the latest versions of other Apps if needed!

Rosetta needs Rosetta. How fitting.

When will they update? Who knows. Even Rosetta Stone Totale doesn't work.

I was learning Hindi and Irish. I miss them? And it's almost getting to the part where it's inexcusable that software for which I've paid no longer works.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Was the upgrade free or did you have to pay for it?

IMO, if Rosetta learns about this failure from past purchasers, they might well do something to overcome it. If new buyers hear that they might lose what they've paid for whenever there's a new OS, they just might not buy Rosetta in the first place. With all the expensive advertising that Rosetta does, I doubt that they would want that to happen.

So, if you've had an issue like this, please let Rosetta know.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Rosetta needs Rosetta. How fitting.

When will they update? Who knows. Even Rosetta Stone Totale doesn't work.

I was learning Hindi and Irish. I miss them? And it's almost getting to the part where it's inexcusable that software for which I've paid no longer works.

The latest/newest version of RS DOES work with Lion.