Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz fired over phone, informs employees via her iPad

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Not used yahoo for years! I remember reading somewhere about yahoo still having a huge number of people using their email services.

Yahoo reminds me of the 90's so much.... Alta vista, metacrawler, geocities, AOL, 28.8k dialup, icq, Asianavenue, mIRC...... Bliss
  • Reply 62 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

My thoughts exacty. Any 'normal' down to earth person would say 'for the future'. Its only up-their-own-ass business suits that come out with phrases like that, becasue they think using phrases like that makes them sound good. you dont need to speak business twaddle to make money

i cant imagine jobs saying 'going forward' or 'actioning'

If it was possible to do a facebook Like on a post I would have done it to this. Jobs showed what we all know: that real leaders of companies speak English, not Business-ese, that this crap way of speaking is the sign of both a low IQ and even lower humanity.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    She is cute for a 62-yr old.

No biggie, she will get another job.

Yahoo was dead already before she arrived. It will take a miracle to resurrect the dead.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    The Chairman of the Board should be fired for being a cowardly little prick that doesn't have the balls to fire someone over the phone.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Sent from my Kin?

At least not sent from *next* of kin...
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

The Chairman of the Board should be fired for being a cowardly little prick that doesn't have the balls to fire someone over the phone.

Yup, and it wasn't chivalrous one bit. Not that Carol should have got preferential treatment, but a gentleman would have at least taken her out for coffee before dumping her.

On a unrelated note, I admit I was unable to do this with one of my ex-girlfriends because she was already freaking out and calling me 10 times an hour before I could even try and communicate "we should take a break".
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UIGuy View Post

Not sure what is more disturbing...

Having a CEO who had to be fired by phone - or having a Chairman that didn't know to contact HR/IT and have her network privileges revoked first...

It would have been better if she had been fired by Yahoo Messenger... At least they would've been using their own product!

"There were a lot of zingers thrown Yahoo's way tonight after the embattled Internet company announced CEO Carol Bartz's firing. Several people used it as an opportunity to take a stab at Yahoo services, particularly Yahoo Messenger and Yahoo Mail. "Yahoo fired its CEO via a phone call, they were going to use Yahoo Messenger but couldn't find anyone with it installed," tweeted Paul Haddad."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...#ixzz1XLq2WhPy
  • Reply 68 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

Yahoo needs a complete marketing overhaul and possibly a name change. I never cared for the word "yahoo" it's kinda cheesy.

It's not a word, it's an acronym for:

Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle
  • Reply 69 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UIGuy View Post

Not sure what is more disturbing...

Having a CEO who had to be fired by phone - or having a Chairman that didn't know to contact HR/IT and have her network privileges revoked first...

But seriously, Yahoo has great potential. I liken them to a pile of Legos sitting in the corner - a great opportunity... But most people will just build something that nobody else recognizes.

They need to regroup. Get rid of the clown pants interface. And make me want to use their product again.

Actually, she was given some time to decide if she would resign herself. She even switched hotel to avoid being served with termination papers, and used that time to send the email. Having said this, it is quite common that the Chairman would not know how to contact HR/IT directly. In many cases, the Chair of a company would step foot on the premises less than 10 times a year, unless the Chair and CEO are one and the same.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It's not a word, it's an acronym for:

Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle

It's not truly an acronym. They picked the name Yahoo first and invented something after the fact to make it sound legit.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It's not truly an acronym. They picked the name Yahoo first and invented something after the fact to make it sound legit.

Aha! Didn't know that. Guess it both is a bit lame, at least to me. Not as lame though as Zuckerbergs' I'm the CEO - bitch! business card (or whatever). Yep, to me facebook tops it all. Even Google, but I digress.