Vodafone suggests Apple's iPhone 5 will come in 16GB, 32GB capacities

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A product listing on the website for U.K. carrier Vodafone has implied that Apple's next-generation iPhone will be offered in black and white, and available in the same two capacities it has been for years: 16 and 32 gigabytes.

The product page for the Vodafone Sure Signal, which works as a signal booster for the carrier's network, offers a list of phones compatible with the device. The carrier's site makes mention of four "iPhone 5" models, with capacities of 16GB and 32GB and colors of black and white.

Of course, it's possible that the listing is a typo, or even presumptive. But it does mention in addition the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and even the iPhone 3G first released in 2008.

If accurate, the mention of a next-generation iPhone would mean that Apple's handset would not gain a 64GB capacity model. Both the iPod touch and iPad have high-end models with 64GB of flash storage available, while the iPhone currently tops off at 32GB.

The page would also suggest that Apple will offer a white variant of its iPhone 5 at launch. Apple had troubles with paint mixtures in assembling its white iPhone 4, and was pushed back 10 months from its originally scheduled June 2010 debut.

While the capacities and colors listed by Vodafone would be identical to the currently available iPhone 4, Apple's next-generation handset is expected to have an 8-megapixel camera for higher resolution photos. The device is also likely to sport the same custom-built A5 processor found in the iPad 2.

Apple is widely expected to have a press event in the coming weeks to publicly unveil its next-generation iPhone. Numerous rumors have suggested the fifth-generation iPhone will go on sale in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 143
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Well, in one way this is wise for Apple - I'm going from a 16GB model to 32 this year, whether it's $200 or $300. Just time to finally upgrade. So they'll make some more money from me with this choice, unfortunate as it is.
  • Reply 2 of 143
    As expected. This is why I upgraded to new iPhone 4 32GB model today. If the iPhone 5 is that much more significant, I will just buy an unlocked model in 6 months or so.
  • Reply 3 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

in the coming weeks to public unveil its next-generation iPhone

Of course, it's possible that the listing is a typo

I'm sorry, the irony was just too rich to pass by.
  • Reply 4 of 143
    So Apple can save money and focus on other features.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A product listing on the website for U.K. carrier Vodafone has

implied that Apple's next-generation iPhone will be offered in black and white, and available in the same two capacities it has been for years: 16 and 32 gigabytes.

The product page for the Vodafone Sure Signal, which works as a signal booster for the carrier's network, offers a list of phones compatible with the device. The carrier's site makes mention of four "iPhone 5" models, with capacities of 16GB and 32GB and colors of black and white.

Of course, it's possible that the listing is a typo, or even presumptive. But it does mention in addition the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and even the iPhone 3G first released in 2008.

If accurate, the mention of a next-generation iPhone would mean that Apple's handset would not gain a 64GB capacity model. Both the iPod touch and iPad have high-end models with 64GB of flash storage available, while the iPhone currently tops off at 32GB.

The page would also suggest that Apple will offer a white variant of its iPhone 5 at launch. Apple had troubles with paint mixtures in assembling its white iPhone 4, and was pushed back 10 months from its originally scheduled June 2010 debut.

While the capacities and colors listed by Vodafone would be identical to the currently available iPhone 4, Apple's next-generation handset is expected to have an 8-megapixel camera for higher resolution photos. The device is also likely to sport the same custom-built A5 processor found in the iPad 2.

Apple is widely expected to have a press event in the coming weeks to public unveil its next-generation iPhone. Numerous rumors have suggested the fifth-generation iPhone will go on sale in October.

• Reply 5 of 143
    The more capacity the better. I'm not completely sold on 'the cloud'.
  • Reply 6 of 143
    Why would they bump capacity when they want people to use iCloud? It makes sense given that.
  • Reply 7 of 143
    kp*kp* Posts: 13member
    iCloud better do some pretty amazing things with storage needs, cause 32GB was too little for the iPhone4. To not upgrade the capacity again would be just evil.
  • Reply 8 of 143
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shaunhussey View Post

Why would they bump capacity when they want people to use iCloud? It makes sense given that.

we must rethink local storage just like apple had us rethink processor speeds and memory, and networking, appstore , physical media, it goes on and on

ios uses memory and storage much more efficiently than other "smartphones" using touch screens

why push the "airs" which such limited storage, we don't need such large local storage i added a 500gb hd to my white c2d macbook, why....not needed,with iCloud--if all purchases are auto saved, then your needed storage is even less, and cheap

iCloud is the new "efficiency" streaming and everywhere net access is our new reality it is also another lockin for apple

create loyalty with services

iCloud, itunes, iPHones, iTouch, TV macs,appstore its all about the synergy

that's what all the others lack which puts apple years ahead
  • Reply 9 of 143
    And no more unlimited data plans. So monthly charges will just get higher and higher.
  • Reply 10 of 143
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Some of you are clearly confused. iCloud has nothing to do with this as you can't actually stream your junk. If you have a fully loaded iPhone, in order for you to download something else from iCloud, you'll have to delete something from your iPhone. Just how does that help?
  • Reply 11 of 143
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCC View Post

Some of you are clearly confused. iCloud has nothing to do with this as you can't actually stream your junk. If you have a fully loaded iPhone, in order for you to download something else from iCloud, you'll have to delete something from your iPhone. Just how does that help?

with iCloud, you don't have to keep so much locally, and switch out,

i don't need to keep 500 pictures, 500 songs, 10 movies and 200 apps on my iPhone

i just keep what i will use "now" then switch out, i can replace at will

how much of my stuff do i need to keep, immediately available, thats why i say we will rethink how and how much we keep locally, its all available to you
  • Reply 12 of 143
    Can't wait, gonna be buying a 32GB. Don't need much more space this that, I still have like 5GB on my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 13 of 143
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shaunhussey View Post

Something they see as a future solution isn't going to stop incremental upgrades today. With things like storage they seem to use the largest reliable standard that fits their manufacturing budget. This is completely normal, and it will not prevent icloud from developing further.
  • Reply 14 of 143
    Sure that could happen however that will use data. Given the paucity of data plans (at least in the US) I do not want to be having to pay for more data just because of limited space on my phone.

64 GB makes sense and I would be surprised if Apple stick with 32GB for the second model running.

I'm ready to replace my 3GS 32GB. It would be ideal if my next model was 64GB.
  • Reply 15 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

The more capacity the better. I'm not completely sold on 'the cloud'.

And the apps has to be stored locally. I don't even sync all apps I have and have over 16 gig.
  • Reply 16 of 143
    May be of significance in the future. Apple rethought storage and wants the cloud but service providers rethought data plans and have more or less vaporized the cloud with low overpriced data plans. All of their claims about the few data hogs causing network problems fail under scrutiny and their claims are false. They need to invest in upgrading their system and stop gouging the customers and stalling technology. Only hope now MAY be sprint. But who knows how long that'll last til they follow suit. As we see it is all about GREED. The American dream or so it now seems.
  • Reply 17 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DogGone View Post

Sure that could happen however that will use data. Given the paucity of data plans (at least in the US) I do not want to be having to pay for more data just because of limited space on my phone.

64 GB makes sense and I would be surprised if Apple stick with 32GB for the second model running.

I'm ready to replace my 3GS 32GB. It would be ideal if my next model was 64GB.

It is a problem to fit 64GB inside an iPhone. iPod Touch can have 64gig since it does not need logic board for data/more.

Memory technology has shrunk since the last iPhone. But I believe Apple instead of going 64gig, will make the iPhone thinner.

Way back in the iPod days, Apple had 2 thickness of the iPods. The thicker model had double the space. I wish Apple could do something like this for the iPhone. Have a bit thicker model with 64gig.
  • Reply 18 of 143
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCC View Post

Quite. Fair point, and well made. No increase in device memory in years is a nonsense.

This, though, is probably just a guess by a Vodaphone designer. Or a marketing ploy. They probably have no idea.
  • Reply 19 of 143
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Yeah fitting 64GB chips inside the device isn't a realistic expectation, and I don't think it's something that anyone needs to be honest. Whiners are always out in force though.
  • Reply 20 of 143
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Everybody is a memory expert. These days.