Vodafone suggests Apple's iPhone 5 will come in 16GB, 32GB capacities

Comments

• Reply 21 of 143
    I hope that there is a 64GB model. I am sick of having less music on my phone than the ipod I had in 2006. 32 is so so so far from enough... I am constantly having to remove musci and podcasts. I never load videos, and have very few large games. Really hoping this turns out to be incorrect.
  • Reply 22 of 143
    Well, duh.

Last time I checked Vodafone doesn't make Flash Memory, but Toshiba, Samsung, Micron and others do.

Unless they say 128GB Flash for smartphones or 64GB are coming no one should wonder what the new phone capacities will be.
  • Reply 23 of 143
    With 8MP camera and 720p, music, aps and games... I need 64gigs at least. I don't want to use the Cloud; I want to be able to access everything I have without the need for an internet connection (which is NOT always available, and you all know it).
  • Reply 24 of 143
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I don't see it happening. 32gb is enough. I know it apple knows it. Running low on space? Remove the apps you use only twice a year. Clear out the songs you never play. Move the videos you never watch to your desktop.

Yeah, manually manage your storage usage.

Gee, sounds very Apple-like, doesn't it?

Nah, no it doesn't.

They'll put 64 gig in there when they can do it for a profitable price and in the space they've decided they can spare. They certainly won't hold it back for a ridiculous reason like what's said above.
  • Reply 25 of 143
    32gb?? Pfft... Apple you annoy me, only with this.

1) Give me 64GB!

2) I don't care if you have 16, 32 and then a 64 with. $200 price premium and a large lump in the back of the case to fit the chips, just give me 64 gb!!

3) OR and SD slot, but I'd rather fixed storage.

GIVE ME 64GB!!
  • Reply 26 of 143
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post

GIVE ME 64GB!!

I used to feel this way. Always got the biggest and baddest iPhone.

Then I got an iPad with 64G.

All of a sudden I realized that I'm no longer using the memory on my iPhone.

Guess I'll be saving $100 when the iP5 comes out. Mostly, I use my iPhone for phone calls and texts these days.
  • Reply 27 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post

32gb?? Pfft... Apple you annoy me, only with this.

1) Give me 64GB!

2) I don't care if you have 16, 32 and then a 64 with. $200 price premium and a large lump in the back of the case to fit the chips, just give me 64 gb!!

3) OR and SD slot, but I'd rather fixed storage.

GIVE ME 64GB!!

Don't buy one.
  • Reply 28 of 143
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KP* View Post

iCloud better do some pretty amazing things with storage needs, cause 32GB was too little for the iPhone4. To not upgrade the capacity again would be just evil.

Speak for yourself. For 95% of people, 32GB is more than they could ever dream to use. Trust me, I know a ton of people with iPhone 4s, and I have a good sense of how they use them. Yes, there will always be the minority with higher demands, but I don't think Apple should cater to this small minority by bumping capacity of all models at the expense of price or other features. Its just not worth it, and for most the benefits are minimal or non-existent.
  • Reply 29 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I don't see it happening. 32gb is enough. I know it apple knows it. Running low on space? Remove the apps you use only twice a year. Clear out the songs you never play. Move the videos you never watch to your desktop.

Other than icloud i dont see Apple playing to user inefficiencies when it comes to storage.

Who are you to decide how everyone else uses their devices? Your needs are not my needs, are not someone else's needs.

Right now, I have about 8 GB free on my 32 GB iPhone. Yet I have no music on it. I could probably find a way to pare down what's on there, but it is not possible to pare it down enough to fit all the music I want to carry with me.

Relying on iCloud to cover the difference is just asking for a monster OMG moment phone bill. Ironically, just one such "extreme data usage" phone bill would be enough to pay for the extra 32 GB, and without the problems of occasional signal loss to boot.

Apple: Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. Please make a 64 GB iPhone. That capacity is overdue already.
  • Reply 30 of 143
    The simplest solution is for Apple to put an SD card slot on the side just like it does with the SIM cards on it iPhones. Then we could add our own memory cards without Apple having to increase the internal storage...Like that will ever happen.
  • Reply 31 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Speak for yourself. For 95% of people, 32GB is more than they could ever dream to use. Trust me, I know a ton of people with iPhone 4s, and I have a good sense of how they use them. Yes, there will always be the minority with higher demands, but I don't think Apple should cater to this small minority by bumping capacity of all models at the expense of price or other features. Its just not worth it, and for most the benefits are minimal or non-existent.

Yeah, Apple shouldn't cater to the 5% who want the biggest and best, they should worry about the other 95% who just need something good enough.

Sounds just like how they run the rest of their product lines, doesn't it?
  • Reply 32 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

The simplest solution is for Apple to put an SD card slot on the side just like it does with the SIM cards on it iPhones. Then we could add our own memory cards without Apple having to increase the internal storage...Like that will ever happen.

Creating the space for a SD slot will take many many times more internal volume than an additional 32 GB chip. SD card = bad idea. Best idea would be to find a single 64GB chip so that the space usage is the same as a single 32 or single 16GB chip. I'm sure they exist, after all this time. If it's super expensive, then adjust the price of the phone accordingly. There is clearly enough volume worldwide to justify it for a premium product. Lord knows Apple sells plenty of other super premium products to small volume markets that require a lot more extra work than simply finding the largest chip out there.

Edit: http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...one-5-2011046/

Quote:

The other good news is the storage options on these SmartNAND chips goes up to 64GB with the 64GB model set to appear by August. However, as we all know from experience, Apple likes to be first to market with new components if it sees an advantage in using them.

• Reply 33 of 143
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    This makes no sense when the second best-selling iPad model is the 64GB/3G model.

As someone who spends their commute underground, I would love a 64GB or 128GB option - and I'm willing to pay a premium.
  • Reply 34 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Exactly. So why even bother bringing it up? If a majority of people cared about doing that, Apple would have done it with the 1st-gen iPhone. They obviously don't. Most people couldn't care less about expanding their phone's memory.
  • Reply 35 of 143
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    iPod touch gets 64GB. iPhone does not. It's how Apple differentiates. Maybe when the iPod touch can go to 128GB for a reasonable profit margin, the iPhone will go to 64GB?
  • Reply 36 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

iPod touch gets 64GB.

It already has that. Two 32GB chips, which is how the iPhone has a 32GB option.

The iPod touch could get two 64GB chips this year, meaning 128GB and likely the retirement of the iPod classic.
  • Reply 37 of 143
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Sigh...
  • Reply 38 of 143
    iCloud is irrelevant to this discussion.

64GB doesn't merely allow more music, it allows more apps and games, which are getting increasingly large in size.

I hit my 32GB's capacity with apps and video podcasts far earlier than I ever would with relatively small music files.
  • Reply 39 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

same two capacities it has been for years: 16 and 32 gigabytes.

Weak. Very weak.
  • Reply 40 of 143
    Select the tab "Compatible Phones" on this page ..

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobi...ne-sure-signal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A product listing on the website for U.K. carrier Vodafone has implied that Apple's next-generation iPhone will be offered in black and white, and available in the same two capacities it has been for years: 16 and 32 gigabytes.

The product page for the Vodafone Sure Signal, which works as a signal booster for the carrier's network, offers a list of phones compatible with the device. The carrier's site makes mention of four "iPhone 5" models, with capacities of 16GB and 32GB and colors of black and white.

Of course, it's possible that the listing is a typo, or even presumptive. But it does mention in addition the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and even the iPhone 3G first released in 2008.

If accurate, the mention of a next-generation iPhone would mean that Apple's handset would not gain a 64GB capacity model. Both the iPod touch and iPad have high-end models with 64GB of flash storage available, while the iPhone currently tops off at 32GB.

The page would also suggest that Apple will offer a white variant of its iPhone 5 at launch. Apple had troubles with paint mixtures in assembling its white iPhone 4, and was pushed back 10 months from its originally scheduled June 2010 debut.

While the capacities and colors listed by Vodafone would be identical to the currently available iPhone 4, Apple's next-generation handset is expected to have an 8-megapixel camera for higher resolution photos. The device is also likely to sport the same custom-built A5 processor found in the iPad 2.

Apple is widely expected to have a press event in the coming weeks to publicly unveil its next-generation iPhone. Numerous rumors have suggested the fifth-generation iPhone will go on sale in October.