Apple rumored to eventually introduce ultra-thin 15-inch notebook

Comments

• Reply 101 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

Point is Tallest, I don't want to be carrying external drives and external DVD/Bluray drives round with me.

You don't need to. Grab a terabyte drive for your MacBook Pro and that ought to be enough space for whatever you need on the go. When the ODD's gone, we might have the option of dual hard drives, meaning 2TB (which you can do in your MacBook Pro right now).
  • Reply 102 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You don't need to. Grab a terabyte drive for your MacBook Pro and that ought to be enough space for whatever you need on the go. When the ODD's gone, we might have the option of dual hard drives, meaning 2TB (which you can do in your MacBook Pro right now).

A 2TB dual hard drive Pro would be perfect.

Hell, I'd even stop bitching about having to carry round an external SuperDrive.
  • Reply 103 of 159
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    This ain't no rumor....it's a fact. In january the new macbook pros will finally take that leap and get rid of their optical drive and take on a more macbook air like form factor. I would assume that means the 15" and 17"....but will the 13" macbook air become the new 13" macbook pro? Will they have two? Both a air and a pro version? This i dont know.
  • Reply 104 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

This ain't no rumor....it's a fact. In january the new macbook pros will finally take that leap and get rid of their optical drive and take on a more macbook air like form factor.

Nice try, but you don't start with "It's a fact".

If you want advice on how to pass stuff off as fact when you have absolutely no idea, go read some of my old posts at MacRumors.

Word of warning: you look like an idiot if you do that, though. Even when it's like my old posts and isn't done intentionally.
  • Reply 105 of 159
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

A 2TB dual hard drive Pro would be perfect.

Hell, I'd even stop bitching about having to carry round an external SuperDrive.

1)Why would you carry around an external DVD drive? What exactly do you have on optical discs that can't be put on internal storage and just has to be — has to be — on slow, scratch-able plastic discs?

2) You know you can get 2TB in any MacBook or MacBook Pro today with the use of OptiBay or Data Doubler. I opted for the OptiBay about 16 months ago with an 80GB Intel G2 MLC SSD for my boot drive, and a 1TB WD HDD for my data drive. My Home folder is actually the entire 1TB Volume. This is a simple GUI setup right from within Users in System Preferences.
  • Reply 106 of 159
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    To that end I only use my optical from time to time. Maybe a half dozen times this year. However every single time I use my MBP I have to plug in an external drive. So yeah I'd much rather have that space the optical drive wastes for a second bulk storage device.

Quote:

I've not stored anything on DVD for years! But the idea that people using discs are 'the few' is nonsense.

Nonsense maybe but I think the world is changing faster than you might want to accept.

Quote:

It's currently 'the few' who have no need for them and know what a Thunderbolt is.

Why did you do that. There is no relationship whatsoever to Thunderbolt and optical drives. Even USB is more than fast enough for optical drives.

Quote:

It's the fact that everywhere I go I'm likely to deal with them that's the problem, so have to lug around external hdd's and drives.

Well hopefully not. A Mac Book Pro that removes the optical will hopefully open up a bay for a conventional HHD. Ideally that HHD will operate in conjunction with a faster SSD for apps and OS files. It is a setup that works extremely well.

Quote:

As I said, far from the all in one solutions and portability I used to associate with Apple. Ideally I'd like iMac specs in something the size of a wafer, rather than the beefy iPhone specs of the Airs. I'm getting one of the new round of MBPs whatever, life's too short to be waiting!

Well yeah some of use are forced to wait! That being said it will be very interesting to see what direction the MBP moves in. I can see all sorts of possibilities some the would turn the MBP into a true power users machine.
  • Reply 107 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why did you do that. There is no relationship whatsoever to Thunderbolt and optical drives. Even USB is more than fast enough for optical drives.

The only benefit I could see from an external ODD on TB instead of USB is the extra wattage for the drive. It could enable faster drives. However, I doubt we'll see much ? if any ? fanfare in the way of marketing that potential feature.
  • Reply 108 of 159
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I totally disagree with those who are saying that the people who do use the optical drive are in the majority. I think the opposite is true. Nobody i know uses their CD drive anymore. It's about as antiquated as the floppy disc was...and people complained when Apple took that away too.

The time has come for a CD less world. With the icloud, apple tv and app store, Apple has signaled the end for awhile now. CDs have become uncessary for the vast majority of users. Not to mention the fact that Environmentally its a complete waste.
  • Reply 109 of 159
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    My current Mac is a MacBook Air. I have an external optical drive for it, but have never connected it. The one before was a MacBook Pro. I never used the optical drive. Before that, I had the original unibody MacBook. I used the optical drive exactly once, to upgrade the OS. Before that, I had a 1st gen MacBook Air. I connected the external optical drive only once, out of curiosity to see how a DVD would play. I went back to iTunes. Before that, I had a final gen PowerBook G4. I may have used its optical drive 8 or 10 times over 3 years.

If anyone is still using an optical drive on a regular basis, I can offer good prices on buggy whips and 8" floppy disks. I might even be able to rustle up a hand crank car starter.
  • Reply 110 of 159
    While I use the optical a bit more than you it still only amounts to a few times a year. The last few months iveused it a bit more only due to viewing videos while recovering from a broken leg. That is not the norm though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

My current Mac is a MacBook Air. I have an external optical drive for it, but have never connected it. The one before was a MacBook Pro. I never used the optical drive. Before that, I had the original unibody MacBook. I used the optical drive exactly once, to upgrade the OS. Before that, I had a 1st gen MacBook Air. I connected the external optical drive only once, out of curiosity to see how a DVD would play. I went back to iTunes. Before that, I had a final gen PowerBook G4. I may have used its optical drive 8 or 10 times over 3 years.

If anyone is still using an optical drive on a regular basis, I can offer good prices on buggy whips and 8" floppy disks. I might even be able to rustle up a hand crank car starter.

I'd sell them some old silver based Kodak film. Keep the buggy whips as we don't want these people enjoying them too much.
  • Reply 111 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1)Why would you carry around an external DVD drive? What exactly do you have on optical discs that can't be put on internal storage and just has to be ? has to be ? on slow, scratch-able plastic discs?

I have many TBs of video stored on DVD from over the years, quite a lot stored on bluray from my time in Japan where recordable BR was very cheap, not to mention over 20 years of audio CDs. And shops still sell movies on DVD you know. Thats just personal use though and I could live without OD on a daily basis if that was the only problem. The maim reason to carry round an external OD, as I already said, is that I am confronted with material in offices on discs on an almost daily basis. Go to a conference and there's often a DVD in the welcome pack, go to a school/college or university and much of the learning material is on CD or DVD, go to an office and chances are you will be presented with stuff that has been stored on an optical disc. You may be able to store all your stuff on external HDD or USB sticks but for those of us working in the current world discs are a daily reality.
  • Reply 112 of 159
    The debate over whether Apple should or should not drop the internal optical brick is going nowhere. We each have our opinions about it and I haven't seen anyone convince anyone on the other side of the debate.

It looks like the next Mac to be updated or replaced is probably the Mac Pro. However, the next one due after the Mac Pro is the MacBook Pro. Rather than focusing on what features the update or replacement for the MacBook Pro may have, let's think about the timing for a few posts. Mac release schedules seem to be driven primarily by availability of new processors from Intel. Is there any reason to expect Apple to release an update or replacement for the MacBook Pro before Ivy Bridge?
  • Reply 113 of 159
    Intel did announce new processor SKUs recently that could potentially go into a MBP. Wether this happens probably depends upon just when Ivy Bridge will come out. If IB is a ways off Apple might bump the machines.

Quote:

The debate over whether Apple should or should not drop the internal optical brick is going nowhere. We each have our opinions about it and I haven't seen anyone convince anyone on the other side of the debate.

It looks like the next Mac to be updated or replaced is probably the Mac Pro. However, the next one due after the Mac Pro is the MacBook Pro. Rather than focusing on what features the update or replacement for the MacBook Pro may have, let's think about the timing for a few posts. Mac release schedules seem to be driven primarily by availability of new processors from Intel. Is there any reason to expect Apple to release an update or replacement for the MacBook Pro before Ivy Bridge?

• Reply 114 of 159
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Intel did announce new processor SKUs recently that could potentially go into a MBP. Wether this happens probably depends upon just when Ivy Bridge will come out. If IB is a ways off Apple might bump the machines.

An update in November or December seems unlikely due to the need to avoid production risks during the peak holiday buying season. I guess we could see a speed bump this month or maybe in October. I suppose if Halloween comes without a speed bump, then we'll probably have to wait for Ivy Bridge.
  • Reply 115 of 159
    Quote:

Apple could simply do a bump and update specs other than the CPU: RAM, Storage Space, and dedicated GPU (perhaps putting one of these in the 13'' model). It could happen in Q4'11, by the time the new 7000 AMD GPU series come out.
  • Reply 116 of 159
    Quote:

An update in November or December seems unlikely due to the need to avoid production risks during the peak holiday buying season. I guess we could see a speed bump this month or maybe in October. I suppose if Halloween comes without a speed bump, then we'll probably have to wait for Ivy Bridge.

Yep if this where to happen it would likely be before the middle of November. However I don't think MBP production is such a big issue that a processor bump is a problem. It is very likely the same motherboard would be used.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blues003 View Post

Apple could simply do a bump and update specs other than the CPU: RAM, Storage Space, and dedicated GPU (perhaps putting one of these in the 13'' model). It could happen in Q4'11, by the time the new 7000 AMD GPU series come out.

Yeah they could and in some cases bumps would be highly desired. RAM for one is always an issue. Lowering the cost of SSDs is high on the list too. New GPUs would however be a surprise out of character for Apple. The 7000 series will likely come with Ivy Bridge.

In any event tiny bumps here and there allow Apple to market the hardware as new and improved for Christmas. Plus it looks like a longer wait for Ivy Bridge than we had hoped for so the update could keep the line fresh.

Heck I don't know what Apple will do with the line, I just know from history that an update is possible this time of the year.
  • Reply 117 of 159
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Heck I don't know what Apple will do with the line, I just know from history that an update is possible this time of the year.

The macrumors buyers guide stats suggest otherwise unless they're off.

MBP update increments have been 317 days, 309, 237, 231, and 236 going back to February 2008 from the present.

Macbook air has been 273, 499 (major redesign so it's an outlier), 237, 273.....

Right now we're roughly 200 days in on the macbook pro. Given this I'd suggest that it's dependent on how soon intel feels Ivy Bridge will be ready in volume suited to this line.
  • Reply 118 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

The macrumors buyers guide stats suggest otherwise unless they're off.

It isn't much of an guide if it looks to the past.

Quote:

MBP update increments have been 317 days, 309, 237, 231, and 236 going back to February 2008 from the present.

Which works out to just about right. Remember we are talking into the middle of next month. That would put us squarely in the range of 240 days or so which is about average.

Quote:

Macbook air has been 273, 499 (major redesign so it's an outlier), 237, 273.....

Right now we're roughly 200 days in on the macbook pro.

Exactly and roughly what will the number of days be 40 days from now? This should be obvious to anyone with Apple experience that a fall laptop bump is possible. Sometimes more than a bump is possible. Case in point: I purchased an early 2008 MBP to see a major revamp late in the fall of 2008. This revamp brought us the Unibodies.

Now I don't expect that large of an update simply because the Intel hardware isn't ready. A bump though is a real possibility.

Quote:

Given this I'd suggest that it's dependent on how soon intel feels Ivy Bridge will be ready in volume suited to this line.

Yep this is a factor one can not deny that. However a spec bump costs Apple practically nothing, they update the processor, add RAM or otherwise bump the machine. It is a mistake to believe Ivy Bridge is required before a hardware update. It might not be the big update everybody is waiting for but it is a bump at the very least.

Look at it this way there is at least a 190 days before a spring release. That assumes that Intel has Ivy Bridge ready for an April launch. No one knows what is up with Ivy Bridge but it looks like it won't hit this year.
  • Reply 119 of 159
    Quote:

should be obvious to anyone with Apple experience that a fall laptop bump is possible. Sometimes more than a bump is possible.

Possible, sure, but there is also plenty of circumstantial data to suggest that a major overhaul will visit the next MBP update.

Quote:

Look at it this way there is at least a 190 days before a spring release. That assumes that Intel has Ivy Bridge ready for an April launch.

As hmm points out the MBA languished before the major overhaul.
  • Reply 120 of 159
    Quote:

a spec bump costs Apple practically nothing, they update the processor, add RAM or otherwise bump the machine.

I think Apple pay more to Intel for faster CPUs, pay more for more RAM, and pay more for more capacious storage. Why do you think that a spec bump costs practically nothing?

Quote:

Look at it this way there is at least a 190 days before a spring release. That assumes that Intel has Ivy Bridge ready for an April launch. No one knows what is up with Ivy Bridge but it looks like it won't hit this year.

While March or April seems more likely, I would not rule out a February launch. It will depend on future Ivy Bridge yields, which can be estimated now only with considerable imprecision.