Vodafone suggests Apple's iPhone 5 will come in 16GB, 32GB capacities

Comments

• Reply 41 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

Select the tab "Compatible Phones" on this page ..

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobi...ne-sure-signal

Yes, the? image is already in the article. We know what it looks like?
  • Reply 42 of 143
    Assuming the site is legit of course. Click the video:

http://fliiby.com/file/1056494/olup783lw7.html
  • Reply 43 of 143
    Does anybody not think that Apple has a good reason for their decision? I don't know what that particular reason might be, but does anybody really believe that they're not making a 64 GB model just so that they can be douches? Perhaps there's some technical reason behind it. Maybe the new phone is so damn thin that they couldn't fit in more RAM? Who knows..............Hell, maybe this rumor is bogus and there will be a 64 GB model.
  • Reply 44 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

It is a problem to fit 64GB inside an iPhone. iPod Touch can have 64gig since it does not need logic board for data/more.

Memory technology has shrunk since the last iPhone. But I believe Apple instead of going 64gig, will make the iPhone thinner.

Way back in the iPod days, Apple had 2 thickness of the iPods. The thicker model had double the space. I wish Apple could do something like this for the iPhone. Have a bit thicker model with 64gig.

No Kidding. I like thin, but really don't need my phone to be even thinner than the current iPhone. I'd rather have a thicker phone with more memory and a bigger battery than a thinner-than-the-current iPhone.
  • Reply 45 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

Assuming the site is legit of course. Click the video:

http://fliiby.com/file/1056494/olup783lw7.html

100% fake and weeks old.
  • Reply 46 of 143
    Damn,

My 32 gig iPhone 4 is maxed out! No space to load larger games even.

I have been holding out for a 64gig model for many years now.

I am not sold on the cloud. It doesn't help me in Europe where I can't afford a data plan, or while taken a cross country flight, or when I am in a subway, or a location where I can't get a good connection.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, watch and shoot a lot of videos.

Please Apple give me more RAM not a cloudy vapor.
  • Reply 47 of 143
    Dearest Apple, sell me a 64GB or even a 128GB iPhone. Charge whatever you want. I 'll camp overnight on the street to pay for it on day one.
  • Reply 48 of 143
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Can someone point me to A SINGLE PHONE that has 64GB built in memory? Yeah, didn't think so. I love how people are acting like 64GB is whats normal these days, when pretty much not a single consumer phone has this capacity.
  • Reply 49 of 143
    Why on earth did Vodafone feel the need to list black and White model or both capacity for that matter when the booster would work the same regardless. Are they think we are thick?
  • Reply 50 of 143
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can someone point me to A SINGLE PHONE that has 64GB built in memory? Yeah, didn't think so. I love how people are acting like 64GB is whats normal these days, when pretty much not a single consumer phone has this capacity.

This.
  • Reply 51 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Why on earth did Vodafone feel the need to list black and White model or both capacity for that matter when the booster would work the same regardless. Are they think we are thick?

It probably pulls the names from the store, so it's showing all the store items they've checked.

I guess how their billing system works like that.
  • Reply 52 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If accurate, the mention of a next-generation iPhone would mean that Apple's handset would not gain a 64GB capacity model.

Or that the 64GB model is not compatible with the device they are advertising.

Just to be thorough with the logic.
  • Reply 53 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Built-in, no...but many phones have SD or MicroSD slots which can take 64GB cards. There are already 256GB MicroSD and SD cards, which are too expensive, but 128GB cards can be found for under $180.

Those of us who want those capacities know it's entirely possible for Apple to offer it on the iPhone (albeit at increased cost/size). We're wanting it because we've been consistently deleting stuff off our iPhones to make room for TV shows, movies, apps, photos, PDFs, Keynotes, video recordings, etc... in addition to music, which iCloud helps, but doesn't really reduce the desire for more storage.

I certainly prefer built-in memory over SD or MicroSD, but when the built-in maximum is so much less than the competitive option, it makes me consider the storage option as a disadvantage for the iPhone.

And to put this in perspective, the amount of storage I'd want before it's simply not an issue is much, much greater...like about 2-3TB (and growing). Until then, the phone is a device that I'm constantly filtering what I really want to carry around with me at the sacrifice of other content, and spending time to do that filtering. The larger the capacity, the less work and more content I can have.
  • Reply 54 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Why on earth did Vodafone feel the need to.....

Are they think we are thick?

BAHAHA!
  • Reply 55 of 143
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It already has that. Two 32GB chips, which is how the iPhone has a 32GB option.

The iPod touch could get two 64GB chips this year, meaning 128GB and likely the retirement of the iPod classic.

Only if they give it a 50% price discount as well
  • Reply 56 of 143
    All this arguing against the cloud and citing overpriced data plans; everyone's aware that the iPhone has Wi-Fi connectivity built in, yes?
  • Reply 57 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Built-in, no...but many phones have SD or MicroSD slots which can take 64GB cards. There are already 256GB MicroSD and SD cards, which are too expensive, but 128GB cards can be found for under $180.

Those of us who want those capacities know it's entirely possible for Apple to offer it on the iPhone (albeit at increased cost/size). We're wanting it because we've been consistently deleting stuff off our iPhones to make room for TV shows, movies, apps, photos, PDFs, Keynotes, video recordings, etc... in addition to music, which iCloud helps, but doesn't really reduce the desire for more storage.

I certainly prefer built-in memory over SD or MicroSD, but when the built-in maximum is so much less than the competitive option, it makes me consider the storage option as a disadvantage for the iPhone.

And to put this in perspective, the amount of storage I'd want before it's simply not an issue is much, much greater...like about 2-3TB (and growing). Until then, the phone is a device that I'm constantly filtering what I really want to carry around with me at the sacrifice of other content, and spending time to do that filtering. The larger the capacity, the less work and more content I can have.

So what you're saying is that you want your entire home computer network's combined storage capacity in your pocket at all times locally on your phone, and you won't be satisfied until that's the case? How many hours are in your day? Do you have a job that you have to go to?

Do you need to have access to 20 different complete TV series, your entire movie collection, your entire music library, all the games you've ever played on an iOS device, all the apps you ever downloaded from the App Store, and all the pictures you've ever taken on your phone or imported to iPhoto?

Even if you are just a teenager from a well off family whose daddy has paid for all of your gadgets and you have no other interests than the digital world (and I'm not saying this is the case for you), how could you possibly be spending enough time out and about to where your phone is your primary computing and media consumption device 99% of the time? Isn't it much more enjoyable to watch a movie or TV show on a screen at least as large as the iPad's, if not a laptop/desktop, or better yet, a real TV?

In the routine of my daily life, I have a 55 minute train commute to and from work every day, which I consider longer than most. That gives me about 2 hours a day where my iOS device (in this case a 32GB 3G iPad 2) is my primary computing/media consumption channel. I have 1,000 songs, 20 games, 2 whole 10 episode (60 minute runtime) TV series seasons in 720p, all my Keynote and Numbers files for work, plus all my personal iWork documents, and about 40 other news/utility/productivity/entertainment apps plus their data and files on my device, and I still have about 12 GB free on it.

The point is this - on my two hour daily round trip commute - the only time in my daily routine where the iPad is my ONLY source for computing/media consumption/game playing...how on Earth would I EVER find time to actually consume the amount of data sitting inside it? If I choose to watch the TV shows, I can only get through two of those episodes, and not have time to consume any other media or data. If I am doing work using iWork, I could listen to music at the same time, and maybe get through the equivalent of two albums, or maybe 200 MB of music. With about 4 GB of music to choose from, I'm not really wanting for choice there. If I play a game or two, even if I choose to listen to my music instead of the game's, same deal there, lots to choose from.

I certainly don't have time to sift through my full 15,000 song library for a half hour to find that secure track I haven't listened to or thought about in years, or feel the urge to watch episode 6 of the third season of Curb Your Enthusiasm suddenly, or replay Across Age again after I've already beaten it - twice, or rewatch the Matrix for the 100th time. I'd rather watch that on my large screen TV at home anyway in full surround sound.

I am in no way trying to tell you how to use your device, but I mean how are all of you finding the time in your days to waste on watching video or playing games hunched over your iPhones 6-12 inches from your face for 6 to 8 hours a day??? (which is what I would consider the necessary time requirement to be able to notice that you don't actually have access to your entire digital database of media and programs...) Wouldn't your batteries die before that? Wouldn't you have access to more preferable platforms (TV or computer) when at home?

Don't you think it's boring to rewatch TV shows and movies all the time? Do you really routinely listen to more than say 10% of your entire music library? Do you really play and concentrate on more than 5-10 games at one time regularly until you beat them? Do you really replay those games more than 2 or 3 times - even the great ones like the Final Fantasies?

I tend to delete shows and movies from my device as I watch them, same with games as I beat them, why have them there if I'm not going to use them? All they do is create clutter, it doesn't even have that much to do with the space they take up. Who wants to scroll through hundreds of irrelevant videos to find what I want when I won't ever watch them anyway? Same with music and games.

I just want to understand this digital hoarding that a lot of you seem to partake in. Its like you all have closets full of old shoes going back to childhood, and garages full of old bicycles and lawn mowers.

Why do you need access to 100% of your stuff 100% of the time?
  • Reply 58 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Weak. Very weak.

Guess what, the screen is going to be glossy too!
  • Reply 59 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpnorton82 View Post

All this arguing against the cloud and citing overpriced data plans; everyone's aware that the iPhone has Wi-Fi connectivity built in, yes?

Meaning what? There's not Wi-Fi everywhere and you're forced to have a data plan. The discussion is relevant.
  • Reply 60 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopicPaideia View Post

So what you're saying is that you want your entire home computer network's combined storage capacity in your pocket at all times locally on your phone, and you won't be satisfied until that's the case?

Nope. But what was truly revolutionary about the iPod was that you had plenty enough storage space (at the old low-bitrate norms) to fit your entire music collection. Stuff that you have had for years, new stuff, stuff you've been meaning to listen to, everything.

Not anymore. More and more commonly, the standard unit of consumption is the discography, and the standard format is lossless. But with the ultra-low capacity of the iPhone, you can't store much. Instead, you need to pick and choose.

As an example: The other day, an obscure band came up in conversation, Urge Overkill. Everybody liked the name, but nobody had actually heard their music. Somebody had an old-school iPod, and thought that they had a few albums by the band. They checked, and yes indeed, they did.

We all listened, and several people really liked the band (including me). The iPhone users had only stuff that was parsed and curated and triple-checked for space limitations. The iPod owner could pull up the obscure stuff, and we all broadened our horizons.

I can imagine a similar scenario with movies. "What? You don't know the Coen Brothers? I've got all their stuff right here! Let me pick out a good one for your introduction."

How about pictures? Why NOT have all of your picture albums, going back to when the kids were little? "Oh - you're going to Tanzania? I've got my vacation pics if you want to see them..."