HTC eyeing webOS purchase to compete with Apple's iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Smartphone maker HTC has publicly stated it is considering buying its own mobile operating system platform, with HP's webOS a potential option for acquisition.

Cher Wang, chairwoman of HTC, said her company is currently considering the purchase of its own mobile operating system, according to Focus Taiwan. However, she said the Taiwanese company is in no rush to make a deal.

Specifically, Wang admitted that HTC has eyed buying webOS from Hewlett-Packard, which the company may sell as it looks to focus on more profitable software and services. HP acquired webOS in an acquisition from Palm in a $1.2 billion deal in April of 2010.

"We have given it thought and we have discussed it internally, but we will not do it on impulse," Wang reportedly said of buying webOS from HP.

The chairwoman touted her company's ability to differentiate its smartphones from competitors by implementing its own "HTC Sense" user interface. Sense has been used on HTC's Windows Mobile-based smartphones, and is also found on the company's newer Android-powered devices.

Wang also commented on Google's acquisition of Motorola for $12.5 billion, announced in August. The HTC executive said Google made the "correct" decision to buy Motorola Mobility for its patent portfolio.

HTC became a direct beneficiary of the Google-Motorola deal last week, when the Taiwanese handset maker filed a new lawsuit against Apple based on patents acquired from Google. The complaint, which is the third HTC has filed against Apple, accuses the iPhone maker of violating nine patents transferred to HTC by Google on Sept. 1. Apple first filed its own patent infringement suit against HTC in March of 2010.

HTC's interest in webOS comes after the company was forced into a patent licensing deal with Microsoft. The Redmond, Wash., software giant is rumored to receive a large $5-per-device for the use of patented inventions in a settlement that raised concerns that handsets running Google Android also face high royalty fees from Apple.

If HTC does decide to pursue a purchase of webOS, it may have to compete with rival Android handset maker Samsung, which is also rumored to be eyeing an acquisition of the smartphone software. Like HTC, Samsung is also involved in a number of patent infringement suits with Apple around the globe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    Good. Pass the metaphorical pipe, as it were.

Too bad the pipe's full of malaria.
  • Reply 2 of 110
    Good move HTC, 'cuz it worked so well for Palm and HP!

/

/

/
  • Reply 3 of 110
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    A bidding war for WebOS between HTC and Samsung would be quite entertaining.
  • Reply 4 of 110
    With Google purchasing Motorola Mobility (and WM7 being a dud so far) HTC would be crazy not to start looking at building their own OS.
  • Reply 5 of 110
    The second the Google-buy-Motorola news emerged, all Android fanboys declared "It won't negatively impact Android partners. Everyone supported it. Looked at their statements".

"It's a genius move" they said.
  • Reply 6 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

A bidding war for WebOS between HTC and Samsung would be quite entertaining.

"I want to bankrupt my cell phone department first!" "No, me!" "No, ME!"
  • Reply 7 of 110
    Jon Rubinstein a secret Apple mole?

webOs already destroyed Palm, whacked HP and now HTC?
  • Reply 8 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

Jon Rubinstein a secret Apple mole?

webOs already destroyed Palm, whacked HP and now HTC?

I'd argue that poor management killed every iteration of WebOS. WebOS in itself has a lot of potential.
  • Reply 9 of 110
    As an Iphone 4 user I have always though WebOS is superior to iOS. It actually multi-tasks and actually has decent notifications. The foundations of the operating system are fantastic.

What it lacked was good HW, the Palm/HP devices were old when released, too slow and build quality was poor.

Similarly the app store was limited, meaning poor device adoption, meaning no incentive for developers. A vicious circle.

HTC can fix this and also give themselves a real identity beyond the HW.
  • Reply 10 of 110
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd argue that poor management killed every iteration of WebOS. WebOS in itself has a lot of potential.

yes. as Samsung is showing with Bada, WebOS needs a company that (1) is not looking for WebOS to be its immediate savior (2) but is willing to stick with it and develop it over the course of years, building up an inventory of products gradually. HTC fits that criteria. or Toshiba. (but not Sony, altho they might buy it in desperation anyway, given how Sony's long time dependence on Windows and now Android too for all its smart hardware has totally failed to sell those products.)

we'll see where it winds up. someone is going to buy it from HP (with HP retaining the right to use what they come up with).
  • Reply 11 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KaptainK View Post

It actually multi-tasks?

What the frick does this even MEAN?! This is all people throw around? EVER? about multitasking on other OS'.

Do you see two applications on the screen at once? Do inputs simultaneously apply to multiple applications at once? WHAT?

What about other OS' makes it "true" multitasking?

Quote:

?and actually has decent notifications.

*coughiOS5cough*
  • Reply 12 of 110
    Well at least HTC know how to make hardware....unlike Palm or HP.
  • Reply 13 of 110
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I'm wondering why apple doesn't purchase webOS. I'm sure there's some good stuff they could use.

But thinking deeper, letting someone like HTC get it deprives android of a major partner. Stunt androids growth by reduced HTC-android powered phones being replaced with WebOS?

Once other partners see HTC's success at weening itself off of android, others would follow suit. So unless Google can get their Googlerola phone out the doors quick, Android would see a DROP in handset activations.

IDK. Flimsy thinking?

As long as Google remained the search partner, I don't know that they'd be that concerned. The whole idea for Google offering a smartphone OS was to help prevent Microsoft and Apple from locking them out of the mobile advertising space.
  • Reply 14 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What the frick does this even MEAN?! This is all people throw around? EVER? about multitasking on other OS'.

Do you see two applications on the screen at once? Do inputs simultaneously apply to multiple applications at once? WHAT?

*coughiOS5cough*

Come on, don't you see? If your phone can't continue to play a video in the background while you're reading your emails, then it FAILS. If it can't continue to keep a game running while you're flipping through your playlists, then it FAILS! It's not about battery life, or resource management, or even common sense, it's about true multitasking. Don't you get it???

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 15 of 110
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Wouldn't it more sense for HTC to fork Android?
  • Reply 16 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Wouldn't it more sense for HTC to fork Android?

This sounds like they're doing exactly that.
  • Reply 17 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

As long as Google remained the search partner, I don't know that they'd be that concerned. The whole idea for Google offering a smartphone OS was to help prevent Microsoft and Apple from locking them out of the mobile advertising space.

Google offers smart phone OS because they want more than your search data. They want every data from you: your search, contact, location etc.

Yes, they would be worried.
  • Reply 18 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What he's implying is that it doesn't intelligently balance mutli-tasking; instead it just continues to run everything in the background. I don't know what someone would want to open a web browser and have their video playing in the background despite not being abel to see it, especially on a mobile device with limited performance and power resources, but apparently some think that is awesome. Personally I'd rather have intelligent multi-tasking like in iOS where Mail loads emails, Phone and Messages work seamlessly in the background, web-pages still load after I leave Safari, and music plays while I complete any other task in the OS.

PS: Remember all the grief that Push Notifications received? It's absolutely brilliant service to reduce the polling for new messages down to a couple small services but some people just wanted to have every app running in full polling servers 24/7 (assuming they were still plugged into a power source).
  • Reply 19 of 110
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is no doubt webOS has potential and that poor management has harmed significantly. The problem is all that bad vodoo is likely to cause negativity in the community. I'm not talking just consumers here but also developers.

Look at it from the developers standpoint how many times do these guys have to get screwed over before they say no more! Even if Samsung gave away piles of cash I think they would have a very hard time attracting viable developers. It could be years before people feel comfortable writing for the platform.

On the other hand HTC needs an ethical choice over Android. At this time webOS is about the only solution ready to go. In the end they may have no choice.
  • Reply 20 of 110
    I've said it once, and I'll say it again. In the long run, healthy competition for Apple in this space will keep pushing innovation forward. That can only be a good thing for Apple and it's customers. Trying to be a monopoly and threatening competitors with lawsuits leads to stagnation and eventually decline.