Apple set to build 30M iPhone 5 units with 512MB RAM, improved antenna

Comments

• Reply 61 of 179
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Well, battery life was sacrificed by definition. And from all indications, the battery life of even the best Android phones is like 75-80% of the iPhone's. And that's functionality. But I was talking about the future. Surely you agree that there is a point where you need thickness to make things happen, right? If someone came out with a phone half the thickness of the iPhone, but it only had a 2 MP camera, only had a 3 hour battery, and was brittle as a dry leaf, you'd agree that Apple should not try to make a thinner phone. RIIIIGHT?

I agree that there's no need for the iPhone to be any thinner just to be able to make the "thinnest" claim. At some point the ergonomics become an issue as these phones get thinner. Would anyone really be happy with trying to hold and use a phone the thickness of a credit card? Doubtful.

Personally the current weight and thickness of the iPhone seems pretty darn good. A slightly larger screen wouldn't be panned by owners tho.
  • Reply 62 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

I will say this.... If I walk into the Verizon store and there is an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S... That salesman will need a load of training to keep me from taking the $99 iPhone 4. Side by side, why spend the extra money? They are both beautiful - they both have ios5... Well the 5 has dual core! Selling on specs has always flown in the face of the Apple way.

I don't know about the Verizon stores but the AT&T store I went to did their best to sell me Android. When I insisted on an iPhone, the sales associate then tried to sell me the 3GS. When I said that I wanted the iPhone 4, he tried to talk me out of it saying it was all glass. Who knows what the associates will try to push.
  • Reply 63 of 179
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Geez, it took them 16 months to fix the antena problem and come up with iPhone 4.1!

In the mean time I'll be picking up this Friday the Sprint Galaxy S 2:

Well isn't that cute! You pick up an alternative phone based entirely upon rumors. A phone that is pretty much crap too.

Quote:

4.52" Super AMOLED Plus display

A display technology proven to limit the usability of the device installed in.

Quote:

Ultra-thin (9.59mm) design

Pretty shallow if you ask me. Do you pick girl friends based on how thin they are.

Quote:

Samsung Exynos 1.2GHz dual-core processor

Extra horse power to drive the Java ripoff virtual machine I see. In any event do you really think that Apple has remained stationary here with respect to processor design? Again you are comparing existing hardware with non existent specs.

Quote:

1 GB RAM

Almost half of which goes to support the OS and the VM. Note I really hope that Apple isn't that stingy with RAM myself, as it is a big short coming on iOS devices. The problem is that the extra RAM on Android devices isn't really the advantage that many think it is.

Quote:

16-32 GB flash memory

microSD, up to 32GB

1800 mAh battery

Wimax 4G radio

Media Hub

8MP rear camera and 2MP front camera, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, image stabilization

Social Hub

1080p HD video recording

Samsung Kies Air

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot

Wifi calling

NOVA 2 HD pre-loaded

Swype pre-loaded

AES-256 internal/external hardware encryption

Bluetooth 3.0

Stereo FM radio with RDS

Sounds like someone gets their panties all wet over specs.

Quote:

Sprint ID

Polaris Office

NFC

Hotspot controls up to eight devices

Optional USB Host kit for connection keyboards, cameras, printers and thumb drives

Actually this is one point I have to agree with. Apple really needs to work much harder on bringing random connectivity to iOS.

Quote:

Optional HDMI adapter

Android 2.3 upgradable to 4.0

Well we will see about that upgrade. In any event Android and Samsung turn out a device that leaves you holding stolen property, I'm sure you feel good about that.
  • Reply 64 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Only the immature and self asorbed give a hoot about the iPhones looks. Sales would be impacted one bit because what is insides is what sells iPhone. Given that the analyst here could very well be talking about a lower cost iPhone 4. No body knows what Apple has up it's sleeves.

Only the naive would think that Apple doesn't spend a great deal of time and money making sure their products look and feel unlike any other similar product on the market.

I know for a fact that a great deal of iPhone sales are made due to the "cool" factor - the wrapping reels you in and the quality of the experience keeps you hooked.

But to say that the look of an Apple product has NO bearing on it's sales numbers is weak. I hope you are not in marketing.
  • Reply 65 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

A display technology proven to limit the usability of the device installed in.

Can you elaborate on that? I've read nothing myself that would indicate Samsung's newest Super Amoled Plus display is anything short of stunning, and much less power-hungry than the previous display used on the original S. I suspect you're confusing Super Amoled Plus with the older display.

From Engadget:

"Whether you're pushing it to its limits with movie watching or just tamely browsing the web, the Super AMOLED Plus panel inside the Galaxy S II never fails to remind you that it's simply better than almost everything else that's out there. . .

We'd even go so far as to say it's better than the iPhone 4's screen, purely because, at 4.3 inches, it gives us so much more room to work with. It's almost impossible to split the two up in terms of quality of output, they're both top notch."

"... Basically, if we haven't made it clear already, this is everything that Super AMOLED was, minus the bad parts and plus an extra .3 inches in real estate. A triumph."
  • Reply 66 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

I will say this.... If I walk into the Verizon store and there is an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S... That salesman will need a load of training to keep me from taking the $99 iPhone 4. Side by side, why spend the extra money? They are both beautiful - they both have ios5... Well the 5 has dual core! Selling on specs has always flown in the face of the Apple way.

That would be fine. Apple's profits may be larger, so that works too!
  • Reply 67 of 179
    The iPhone 5 has a new form factor

The iPhone 5 looks the same as the iPhone 4

• Reply 68 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The 3GS looked like the 3G, but sold in greater numbers. The same thing will happen with iP5, no matter what it looks like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Seems pretty clear that this is the lower end model that's being launched soon. Apple is smart enough to know that if they don't change the physical appearance of the thing, worldwide demand will be lower than it would have been with a good new design.

As stelligent notes, Apple sold more iPhones during the release schedule of the iPhone 3GS which maintained the same outward appearance of the iPhone 3G.

I am leaning toward your assessment that this will be a lower-end model, but I don't agree that Apple has to change up the case every year. It seems like a tall design order to complete every single year and introduces an array of potential issues, all the way to issues with assembly. Going with a tick-tock method similar to Intel seems like it would allow for more solid designs that are better managed and can maximize profit. After all, most don't care about the latest-and-greatest look and feel like we do here, most want something that "just works," most smartphone owners are most liekly on a two year cycle, and most iPhone buyers have yet to ever own a smartphone, as I recall.

Quote:

Geez, it took them 16 months to fix the antena problem and come up with iPhone 4.1!

What an impressive and colossal spin! I think that gets you an nomination for troll of the year. That trophy is going to look great in your parent's basement.

So we've moved from Apple will recall all the iPhone 4s because it's faulty design and Apple will change the design by October 2010 because it's a faulty design, to Apple hasn't changed the design in 16 months because it's faulty and they can't figure out how to fix it.
  • Reply 69 of 179
    looks like Apple got complacent during their overwhelming dominance. but those days are coming to an end. the hardware coming out with android is significantly faster. how are they going to sell this phone during the keynote? are people really going to freak out over a 3 megapixel increase in the camera? i don't think so.
  • Reply 70 of 179
    And it will look quite beautiful sitting next to your chocolate brown Zune, I'm sure.

Quote:

In the mean time I'll be picking up this Friday the Sprint Galaxy S 2:

4.52" Super AMOLED Plus display

Ultra-thin (9.59mm) design

Samsung Exynos 1.2GHz dual-core processor

1 GB RAM

16-32 GB flash memory

microSD, up to 32GB

1800 mAh battery

Wimax 4G radio

Media Hub

8MP rear camera and 2MP front camera, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, image stabilization

Social Hub

1080p HD video recording

Samsung Kies Air

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot

Wifi calling

NOVA 2 HD pre-loaded

Swype pre-loaded

AES-256 internal/external hardware encryption

Bluetooth 3.0

Stereo FM radio with RDS

Sprint ID

Polaris Office

NFC

Hotspot controls up to eight devices

Optional USB Host kit for connection keyboards, cameras, printers and thumb drives

Optional HDMI adapter

Android 2.3 upgradable to 4.0

• Reply 71 of 179
    Apple iPhone (5th Generation) will be an improved model. It will have A5, 1GB RAM, 8MP rear camera and larger front screen (3.7 or 4.0 inch Retina plus display).

Apple expects the sales to rise dramatically. It will have similar specs when compared to Samsung Galaxy S2.

Announcement will be around September 21st. Don't believe these rumors spread by predators.
  • Reply 72 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

looks like Apple got complacent during their overwhelming dominance. but those days are coming to an end. the hardware coming out with android is significantly faster. how are they going to sell this phone during the keynote? are people really going to freak out over a 3 megapixel increase in the camera? i don't think so.

1) I've been reading how complacent Apple has become for over a decade now. Yet they seem to keep taking more and more of the industry's profits.

2) You really think if they don't change the case that means they won't be able to change the processor, only the camera's megapixels? Defend that for us.
  • Reply 73 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hambone View Post

Apple iPhone (5th Generation) will be an improved model. It will have A5, 1GB RAM, 8MP rear camera and larger front screen (3.7 or 4.0 inch Retina plus display).

Apple expects the sales to rise dramatically. It will have similar specs when compared to Samsung Galaxy S2.

Announcement will be around September 21st. Don't believe these rumors spread by predators.

Inside info, or going by rumors? In other words, how sure are you?
  • Reply 74 of 179
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

the spec bumps will be quite impressive, but not "freak out" stuff. faster processor, improved battery, improved retina display, first CDMA/GSM world phone, LTE at least, great camera. and iOS 5, with all its convenience improvements, will be a tremendously popular update.

but the big news this time is the Apple Ecosystem. iCloud, iTunes Match, AirPlay/Mirroring, etc.. these will greatly expand what you can do with all your Apple products and how they seamlessly work with each other. including the updated iPod line that will be unveiled at the same time, and of course the iPad. you can bet Apple will promote all this to the max with spiffy new TV ads.

so will people stand in line for the iPhone 5 like before (your "freak out," i assume)? not as much as last time, i think. a bit calmer this time. but this will all add up to HUGE Holiday quarter sales for Apple. they will sell all the iPhone and iPads they can make. the iPad in particular will mop up the floor with all the Android tablet wannabes, even with the (ridiculously named) Ice Cream Sandwich update that is arriving too late to have an impact and probably won't run on many of the existing models.
  • Reply 75 of 179
    I'm curious why people think the iPhone needs 1GB RAM simply because other devices need 1GB RAM or it's been the same for a whole year. The amount of RAM you need is not dependent on the competition or the Earth's revolution around the Sun, but upon requirements specific to an OS and its apps.

I've had absolutely no issues with my iPhone 4's 512MB RAM in iOS 4.0 through 5.0. I have more RAM available to the system than with any other iPhone that came before it so unless Apple has some RAM heavy additions coming in iOS 6.0 next year I have trouble believing that they will double the RAM based on the reasons in this thread.
  • Reply 76 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

. . . even with the (ridiculously named) Ice Cream Sandwich update that is arriving too late to have an impact and probably won't run on many of the existing models.

Oooohh! Don't discount Jelly Bean
  • Reply 77 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm curious why people think the iPhone needs 1GB RAM simply because other devices need 1GB RAM or it's been the same for a whole year. The amount of RAM you need is not dependent on the competition or the Earth's revolution around the Sun, but upon requirements specific to an OS and its apps.

I've had absolutely no issues with my iPhone 4's 512MB RAM in iOS 4.0 through 5.0. I have more RAM available to the system than with any other iPhone that came before it so unless Apple has some RAM heavy additions coming in iOS 6.0 next year I have trouble believing that they will double the RAM based on the reasons in this thread.

You've got to be kidding. What about Safari STILL flushing pages from memory and having to reload them once you go back to that particular tab? Happens all the time on my iPhone 4, which tells me that 512 MB ain't enough.
  • Reply 78 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Inside info, or going by rumors? In other words, how sure are you?

I work for a chip company based out of Southern CA. Apple is one of our customer. I can't tell you what iPhone (5th Generation) will look like because believe me no-body has seen one.

I know for a fact Apple purchased/ordered most of the iPhone components earlier this year.
  • Reply 79 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

You've got to be kidding. What about Safari STILL flushing pages from memory and having to reload them once you go back to that particular tab? Happens all the time on my iPhone 4, which tells me that 512 MB ain't enough.

don't you know that is one thing that iOS 5 specifically takes care of?
  • Reply 80 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

but but you need it for True Multitasking! (been enjoying that topic on the other thread this morning).