HTC eyeing webOS purchase to compete with Apple's iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What the frick does this even MEAN?! This is all people throw around… EVER… about multitasking on other OS'.

You don't know? True multitasking is when you Facebook, text, answer calls AND play the drums with one hand along to the backup track pre-recorded and played back on your smartphone OS.
  • Reply 22 of 110
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. In the long run, healthy competition for Apple in this space will keep pushing innovation forward. That can only be a good thing for Apple and it's customers. Trying to be a monopoly and threatening competitors with lawsuits leads to stagnation and eventually decline.

Well yes, but in order to stop others merely copying and instead innovate and compete fairly you have to threaten with lawsuits now and then.
  • Reply 23 of 110
    Quote:

Trying to be a monopoly and threatening competitors with lawsuits leads to stagnation and eventually decline.

Yes. How dare they protect their IPs. So evil...
  • Reply 24 of 110
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

Jon Rubinstein a secret Apple mole?

webOs already destroyed Palm, whacked HP and now HTC?

I must admit the same thought was crossing my mind as I read your post.
  • Reply 25 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd argue that poor management killed every iteration of WebOS. WebOS in itself has a lot of potential.

If it ever gets finished
  • Reply 26 of 110
    Quote:

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. In the long run, healthy competition for Apple in this space will keep pushing innovation forward. That can only be a good thing for Apple and it's customers. Trying to be a monopoly and threatening competitors with lawsuits leads to stagnation and eventually decline.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Apple is driven by the desire to create paradigm shifts and they simply are not driven by what others do. In fact, how could they be? This so called competition has nothing but second rate copies of Apple products. Just go back and look at smart phones and tablets from just before the launch of iPhones and iPads.
  • Reply 27 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

If it ever gets finished

Rubinstein would have to get back into Apple for a few weeks to know how
  • Reply 28 of 110
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Google offers smart phone OS because they want more than your search data. They want every data from you: your search, contact, location etc.

Yes, they would be worried.

Ummm. . where do you suppose Google gets your location/search data? From Google search services.
  • Reply 29 of 110
    Quote:

I'd argue that poor management killed every iteration of WebOS. WebOS in itself has a lot of potential.

I would agree WebOS is an awesome OS. It's up there with iOS. Palm drug it's feet, just like HP. Yes the hardware sucked ass but the OS isn't anything to laugh at. I enjoyed using WebOS for the time I used it. If HTC produces the hardware and has the software...um yes its definitely an eye catcher.

I WANT MY SPRINT IPHONE DAMN IT!!!
  • Reply 30 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well at least HTC know how to make hardware....unlike Palm or HP.

They do know how to make hardware. God the Palm/HP stuff was crap, no wonder why Sprint decided not to carry anymore of their phones. I went through 3 Palm Pre's in 6 months.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KaptainK View Post

As an Iphone 4 user I have always though WebOS is superior to iOS. It actually multi-tasks...

Seems you haven't used an iPhone enough to realise it multitasks:

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/featu...titasking.html
  • Reply 32 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Come on, don't you see? If your phone can't continue to play a video in the background while you're reading your emails, then it FAILS. If it can't continue to keep a game running while you're flipping through your playlists, then it FAILS! It's not about battery life, or resource management, or even common sense, it's about true multitasking. Don't you get it???

</sarcasm>

Quote:

What he's implying is that it doesn't intelligently balance mutli-tasking; instead it just continues to run everything in the background. I don't know what someone would want to open a web browser and have their video playing in the background despite not being abel to see it, especially on a mobile device with limited performance and power resources, but apparently some think that is awesome. Personally I'd rather have intelligent multi-tasking like in iOS where Mail loads emails, Phone and Messages work seamlessly in the background, web-pages still load after I leave Safari, and music plays while I complete any other task in the OS.

PS: Remember all the grief that Push Notifications received? It's absolutely brilliant service to reduce the polling for new messages down to a couple small services but some people just wanted to have every app running in full polling servers 24/7 (assuming they were still plugged into a power source).

I think it was the Xoom commercial, which, ironically, showcased the webOS inspired app switching. A "full screen" video playing, now in a "window/card", a webpage with Adobe Flash loading in another. Loved that. I was like "Where's the plug? Can you zoom in on the battery indicator? I am sure I can watch it drop in this 30 second spot"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is no doubt webOS has potential and that poor management has harmed significantly. The problem is all that bad vodoo is likely to cause negativity in the community. I'm not talking just consumers here but also developers.

Look at it from the developers standpoint how many times do these guys have to get screwed over before they say no more! Even if Samsung gave away piles of cash I think they would have a very hard time attracting viable developers. It could be years before people feel comfortable writing for the platform.

On the other hand HTC needs an ethical choice over Android. At this time webOS is about the only solution ready to go. In the end they may have no choice.

I think that Apple would just use it for patents and (I would hope, as a former Pre user) Synergy. That on iOS 5? Awesome.
  • Reply 33 of 110
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davewrite View Post

Jon Rubinstein a secret Apple mole?

webOs already destroyed Palm, whacked HP and now HTC?

Take off your Tin Foil hat.
  • Reply 34 of 110
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I'm wondering why apple doesn't purchase webOS. I'm sure there's some good stuff they could use.

They should. If they don't though I'm sure they must have their reasons. Pride. No need? Brand image?
  • Reply 35 of 110
    Seems like an "OK" business move, since Android's potential problems in a legal fight against Apple are unlimited.
  • Reply 36 of 110
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

I would actually respect HTC if they bought WebOS and actually used it.

What I don't respect are the bottom dwelling manufacturers who are nothing but parts assemblers (and are now getting bitten by Googorola.)
  • Reply 37 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Rubinstein would have to get back into Apple for a few weeks to know how

LOL I really like this one!
  • Reply 38 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I would actually respect HTC if they bought WebOS and actually used it.

What I don't respect are the bottom dwelling manufacturers who are nothing but parts assemblers (and are now getting bitten by Googorola.)

I'd still like RiM to buy it. QNX/AIR doesn't seem to be working out so well for them?
  • Reply 39 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Ummm. . where do you suppose Google gets your location/search data? From Google search services.

How can Google know my actual present location if I don't search? And don't let me start on where did they try to get my contacts. Advertising is nothing without data and search data alone is so 5 years ago.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KaptainK View Post

As an Iphone 4 user I have always though WebOS is superior to iOS. It actually multi-tasks and actually has decent notifications. The foundations of the operating system are fantastic.

What it lacked was good HW, the Palm/HP devices were old when released, too slow and build quality was poor.

Similarly the app store was limited, meaning poor device adoption, meaning no incentive for developers. A vicious circle.

HTC can fix this and also give themselves a real identity beyond the HW.

I think you will find that the HP touchpad was more than capable hardware wise 1.2ghz dual core CPU /w 1gb ram and that it was WebOS that was borked. In fact webos has been borked from its very inception and has had wave after wave of broken promises of fixes and updates. Ask any Pre owner.