Apple set to build 30M iPhone 5 units with 512MB RAM, improved antenna

Comments

• Reply 81 of 179
    If the replacement for the iphone4 is to be the 4S... Then maybe we are looking at LTE. That would be one way of hitting the ball out of the park without changing the appearance of the phone. Ad please don't get me wrong... I LOVE my 4. It is a beautiful combination of design and function. I just cannot believe that Apple would wait 16 months to deliver a speed bump.... LTE might be the answer.
  • Reply 82 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

don't you know that is one thing that iOS 5 specifically takes care of?

You mean iOS 5 will specifically keep Safari from force-reloading? By God, if that's true, I... *sheds a tear* - I've been waiting for this since 2009!
  • Reply 83 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

You've got to be kidding. What about Safari STILL flushing pages from memory and having to reload them once you go back to that particular tab? Happens all the time on my iPhone 4, which tells me that 512 MB ain't enough.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

don't you know that is one thing that iOS 5 specifically takes care of?

I did have a problem with that in iOS 3.x and 4.x on the original iPad with 256MB RAM. Some of the long time readers might remember that I returned my first iPad because of the Safari reloading issues.

I have never had a problem with that on any iPhone in any OS version.
  • Reply 84 of 179
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

If the replacement for the iphone4 is to be the 4S... Then maybe we are looking at LTE. That would be one way of hitting the ball out of the park without changing the appearance of the phone. Ad please don't get me wrong... I LOVE my 4. It is a beautiful combination of design and function. I just cannot believe that Apple would wait 16 months to deliver a speed bump.... LTE might be the answer.

it's been reliably reported that AT&T is upgrading its hardware at some Apple stores. they certainly would be installing the latest stuff. that makes AT&T LTE support at least a very good bet. i don't know the technicalities involved, but Apple would be smart to have iPhone 5 "4G Ready" for all the new high speed data services being deployed now or next year by all the telcos. we'll see.
  • Reply 85 of 179
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

You mean iOS 5 will specifically keep Safari from force-reloading? By God, if that's true, I... *sheds a tear* - I've been waiting for this since 2009!

yeah it really bugs me too. the improved memory management will retain the web page for up to (?) old pages without forcing a reload.
  • Reply 86 of 179
    Like many, if this is a mild refresh, I will be very disappointed and likely jump to Droid. I have been nursing a 3GS along now on AT&T and have had it with failed batteries, buttons, dropped calls and slow 3G. I will be going to Verizon. I have waited for the 5 and now have seen what the droids have, especially the new ones with 1.5GHz processors, 4.3" or better AMOLED screens, LTE and the new Ice Cream Sandwich Android OS 4.0.

I can not see myself married for two years to a phone that is not LTE or has a smaller screen.

Apple may very well sell all 30M as China is now in the mix but this doesn't mean anything to me.

Finally, within the next few weeks it will becom clear and having waited for so long, it will either be excitement or anger- no in between.

My hope is that Apple is coming out with a state-of-the-art thin iPhone 5 with big screen and LTE and an improved "4S" which would explain the current confusion.

My fear is that the iPhone 5 was ready a while ago and "waiting" on iOS 5. This would be the "refreshed 4" scenario with the 5 coming next round.
  • Reply 87 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

You don't have a power button on yours? Or volume buttons?

HA! Love it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Same heavy bulky design as iPhone 4 = No Sale.

I sure hope that means you are NOT in the larger screen camp, cause if so? You have different meanings of heavy and bulky than I do.
  • Reply 88 of 179
    Basically iPhone 4S like I have been saying for months. I will wait for 6.
  • Reply 89 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Even with an improved antenna design, Apple's next-generation iPhone is expected to look largely the same as the current iPhone 4, and it will also feature the same amount of RAM: 512MB.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told AppleInsider on Monday that Apple's anticipated fifth-generation iPhone will sport the same 512MB of DRAM as the iPhone 4. In addition, the hardware will feature a glass front and back, just like the current iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The so-called "iPhone 5" is also expected to have an improved antenna design, potentially addressing concerns that arose last year when it was discovered that covering the bottom left corner of the iPhone 4 could reduce reception. Though the antenna will be improved, Kuo indicated there will be little change to its shape, and users will not see a discernable difference in its appearance.

Excuse me!?
  • Reply 90 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

only the immature and self asorbed give a hoot about the iphones looks. Sales would be impacted one bit because what is insides is what sells iphone. Given that the analyst here could very well be talking about a lower cost iphone 4. No body knows what apple has up it's sleeves.

bs....
  • Reply 91 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Excuse me!?

Could you be more specific?
  • Reply 92 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Only 512MB, that is disappointing.

i like all apple products but what's the point in buying another iPhone 4; that is exactly what it will be, if this rumor is true.
  • Reply 93 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

i like all apple products but what's the point in buying another iPhone 4; that is exactly what it will be, if this rumor is true.

So they can change every major internal component for the better but if they maintain 512MB it'll be exactly like the iPhone 4? Good one¡
  • Reply 94 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So they can change every major internal component for the better but if they maintain 512MB it'll be exactly like the iPhone 4? Good one¡

you know based on this article and many others that it is looking more and more likely that the next iPhone will be a very modest update. and that is not something to be excited about...
  • Reply 95 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hambone View Post

Apple iPhone (5th Generation) will be an improved model. It will have A5, 1GB RAM, 8MP rear camera and larger front screen (3.7 or 4.0 inch Retina plus display).

Apple expects the sales to rise dramatically. It will have similar specs when compared to Samsung Galaxy S2.

Announcement will be around September 21st. Don't believe these rumors spread by predators.

Is that you former aspd mod hambone?
  • Reply 96 of 179
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I'd be satisfied if it had an A5 chip an 4in screen. If it stick with the same 3.5in screen, that will guarantee that I will pick up whatever the next official google phone is instead (ie. nexus prime). I use the phone for so many things, that bit of extra screen size is huge for me.
  • Reply 97 of 179
    So we basically know everything about the next generation of Apple's most valuable device?

So much for Apple's reputation of keeping its upcoming releases secret, and so much for all this http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...y_efforts.html

I'm not implying that we know everything, I'm just pointing out to how ridiculous these claims are.
  • Reply 98 of 179
    Thank you Apple for finally fixing that antenna issue.
  • Reply 99 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Thank you Apple for finally fixing that antenna issue.

How you think you appear:

How we're looking at you:

• Reply 100 of 179
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex.sebenski View Post

Double tapping the home button and choosing the app to switch to both wear out my home button and takes too much time. I dont mind if the home button is still a physical button, but I want a way to quick switch apps like the iPad and the 4/5 finger gestures. I believe this will be done with a touch sensitive area near the home button in this generation of devices.

sigh.

have you ever actually worn out your home button? know anybody whose home button got worn out by excessive clicking?