Apple set to build 30M iPhone 5 units with 512MB RAM, improved antenna

Comments

• Reply 101 of 179
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

the spec bumps will be quite impressive, but not "freak out" stuff. faster processor, improved battery, improved retina display, first CDMA/GSM world phone, LTE at least, great camera. and iOS 5, with all its convenience improvements, will be a tremendously popular update.

but the big news this time is the Apple Ecosystem. iCloud, iTunes Match, AirPlay/Mirroring, etc.. these will greatly expand what you can do with all your Apple products and how they seamlessly work with each other. including the updated iPod line that will be unveiled at the same time, and of course the iPad. you can bet Apple will promote all this to the max with spiffy new TV ads.

so will people stand in line for the iPhone 5 like before (your "freak out," i assume)? not as much as last time, i think. a bit calmer this time ...

if this is what the new "4S" offers, that's a great "spec bump." the ecosystem is growing in relative market importance, while the hardware - as long as it is up to date for upgraded telco services - is becoming more standardized. but even then, there is more to camera quality than hardware megapixels - software really makes a big difference too, and Apple's camera processing software is among the very best.

and maybe some gadget junkies buy a new phone every year to have the latest and greatest specs, paying the additional early termination fee. but like most people, i get one every two years when my telco contract rolls over. so i'll be going from a 3GS to a 4S, certainly a big jump. everyone on a two year cycle gets a big jump by skipping one in-between model.

of course Android is somewhat different. there wasn't even an Android phone worth keeping for two years until early this year.
  • Reply 102 of 179
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XeneX View Post

Like many, if this is a mild refresh, I will be very disappointed and likely jump to Droid. I have been nursing a 3GS along now on AT&T and have had it with failed batteries, buttons, dropped calls and slow 3G. I will be going to Verizon. I have waited for the 5 and now have seen what the droids have, especially the new ones with 1.5GHz processors, 4.3" or better AMOLED screens, LTE and the new Ice Cream Sandwich Android OS 4.0.

I can not see myself married for two years to a phone that is not LTE or has a smaller screen.

Apple may very well sell all 30M as China is now in the mix but this doesn't mean anything to me.

Finally, within the next few weeks it will becom clear and having waited for so long, it will either be excitement or anger- no in between.

My hope is that Apple is coming out with a state-of-the-art thin iPhone 5 with big screen and LTE and an improved "4S" which would explain the current confusion.

My fear is that the iPhone 5 was ready a while ago and "waiting" on iOS 5. This would be the "refreshed 4" scenario with the 5 coming next round.

My goodness. You are all mixed up.

I'm really gonna try and not feed the trolls today.
  • Reply 103 of 179
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Very disappointing if this is all it is. Steve exists and the place goes bland . . . .
  • Reply 104 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XeneX View Post

I will? ...likely jump to Droid.

Just do and save us the trouble of wasting time reading your posts.

If all you care about are specs, you don't have any reason to have an iPhone, anyway.
  • Reply 105 of 179
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Geez, it took them 16 months to fix the antena problem and come up with iPhone 4.1!

In the mean time I'll be picking up this Friday the Sprint Galaxy S 2:

4.52" Super AMOLED Plus display

Ultra-thin (9.59mm) design

Samsung Exynos 1.2GHz dual-core processor

1 GB RAM

16-32 GB flash memory

microSD, up to 32GB

1800 mAh battery

Wimax 4G radio

Media Hub

8MP rear camera and 2MP front camera, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, image stabilization

Social Hub

1080p HD video recording

Samsung Kies Air

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot

Wifi calling

NOVA 2 HD pre-loaded

Swype pre-loaded

AES-256 internal/external hardware encryption

Bluetooth 3.0

Stereo FM radio with RDS

Sprint ID

Polaris Office

NFC

Hotspot controls up to eight devices

Optional USB Host kit for connection keyboards, cameras, printers and thumb drives

Optional HDMI adapter

Android 2.3 upgradable to 4.0

Then you will be disappointed and learn a valuable lesson about spec sheets.
  • Reply 106 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Really? Why is a touch home button so important?

Cause it doesn't have one already, sillypants.

If the form factor doesn't change, they probably won't get a lot of iPhone 4 users upgrading right away, but whatever they release will be reason enough for anyone with an expiring or expired 2 year contract (i.e., 3GS and earlier users) to take the plunge.

I personally really like the iPhone form factor and will be quite happy if they keep it, but ultimately it's what's inside the phone that counts. I need a better camera and LED light, and would enjoy the faster processor for IOS 5 As long as the home button works reliably, I really don't care which form it takes.
  • Reply 107 of 179
    I recall reading just a couple of weeks ago that the "N94" was indeed the 4S and not the iPhone 5, anyone else remember this?

http://www.bgr.com/2011/08/29/iphone...-be-iphone-4s/

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...-8&q=n94+is+4s
  • Reply 108 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Then you will be disappointed and learn a valuable lesson about spec sheets.

No, I will not be disappointed. I just went to an ATT store and played with Samsung Infuse. The 4.5" super AMOLED+ screen is gorgeous, like nothing out there: I could not take my hands off it. The Galaxy 2S on top of that will also be faster, with higher capacity battery, and more goodies.

Next, in October-November Samsung is set to release the Nexus Prime: 4.65" Super AMOLED HD 1280 x 768 pixel resolution, a 1.5GHz dual-core processor, Android 4.0, SCHNEIDER-Kreuznach low light camera lenses, and a 8.8mm design.

Next, Q1 2012: Samsung Galaxy Note: a 5.3" Super AMOLED HD hybrid device: phone/microtablet:

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...html?type=find

All these of course are 4G phones.

And what do we get from Apple? a 16 month old tech with hopefully fixed antena?
  • Reply 109 of 179
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

One of the thinnest ...

But new iPhones have invariably been the thinnest upon their release. Are they going to break that trend?

Does it really matter? Late 1990s or so silly mobile phone manufacturers had this thing of who could make the smallest phone. Nokia made some really tiny ones with antenna problems.

Being the most compact doesn't truly matter past a certain point. I don't know how much thinner phones will go but I can't see the current thickness as a reason not to buy. It doesn't feel bulky, heavy, or bulge pockets. Am I missing something here?
  • Reply 110 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

I wish Apple would do something about the home button. I've never had a cell phone where the buttons worked for the duration of my contract, and sadly my 3GS is no different.

The home button (the only button on the stinking phone) only works intermittently and it's quite frustrating because I love my iPhone otherwise. I will probably fork over $200 for another one because no other phones are any better, but I would really love it if Apple found another way to get to the home screen without using this damned button.

It probably just needs a vacuum cleaner up its but.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 111 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just do and save us the trouble of wasting time reading your posts.

If all you care about are specs, you don't have any reason to have an iPhone, anyway.

I suppose all you care about is what, iOS? Sorry but iOS vs LTE, AMOLED screen, 4.5" screen with the next Android is not a "No-Brainer" add to that the iOS experience eroded by AT&T and my iPhone is awesome still but increasingly vulnerable. Maybe you should "look around" and not just go with the herd.

iOS is great, but it's not everything and in this case, it might not be enough.

And in my defense, An iPhone 5 WITH LTE and a larger screen IS A NO BRAINER for me. So don't tell me I'm wasting your time. Try thinking, it might hurt, but it's good for you.
  • Reply 112 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

Too bad. I'm getting clearer by the day. Look. We don't know what the 5 or 4S is going to be like until its out.

The info trickling out now is not good. NO evidence of advanced or "even modestly" different iPhone parts in the supply chain. This is not boding well for my hopes. I don't want to go, but a two year contract is a long time in tech. No LTE, same design, same screen.
  • Reply 113 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Very disappointing if this is all it is. Steve exists and the place goes bland . . . .

Yeah. Of course, the new iPhone 5 was designed last week. It's not like this was something that has been in development for the past 6+ months with the hardware specs probably being finalized 3 or 4 months ago... Oh wait, that's exactly what this it. You may have a worthwhile argument here if the iPhone 6 is a flop, but this one would realistically be Steve's last baby.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So they can change every major internal component for the better but if they maintain 512MB it'll be exactly like the iPhone 4? Good one¡

I think the point here is that if the low end rumors are true this is a very un-sexy update. I mean the faster processor and better camera are not exactly the blow your skirt up kind of things. Now, I definitely think that the processor upgrade is a great move, and this is also true for the camera upgrade... I think the point is that people are hoping/expecting more from Apple than an incremental upgrade.

Personally, I would love to see a LTE phone with a 4" Retina display and 1GB of RAM to go along with the processor and camera upgrades. I think these would make for a blow you away kind of upgrade. I think the least likely of these is the LTE chip since I really don't think Apple is ready to make the battery life sacrifice. But boy would that kind of speed be SWEET...
  • Reply 114 of 179
    If this is true, I ain't buying. I doubt this guy is legit. Probably a propagandist for Apple.

To disrupt their normal release cycle and keep us waiting for over a year, I doubt they're going to offer a minor upgrade to such an "old" phone. The only reason I can see for staying with 512MB RAM is that iOS 5 is a lot more efficient than iOS 4.
  • Reply 115 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex.sebenski View Post

Agreed. The thinner build with a bigger screen design and a touch sensitive home button for app switching would be enough to sell me.

Just an A5 chip and world phone capabilities would bore me. Apple knows how to add new features when they're necessary to make sure demand is greater than supply. It'll be different enough that it'll get lots of hype.

Otherwise same with me, Im keeping my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.

As well you should; it's too soon to be replacing an iPhone 4. I'm close to contract time for my 3GS, and glad to see they may be fixing (ahem... *improving*) the antenna. If that's the case, and battery life stays where it is or improves, I'll be glad to upgrade to a 5, or 4.1 or 4S, whatever they call it. Facetime and improved camera will be icing on the cake. iPhone4 people can look forward to iPhone 6
  • Reply 116 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So they can change every major internal component for the better but if they maintain 512MB it'll be exactly like the iPhone 4? Good one¡

Yeah, well the CPU is not "every major internal component". I doubt they could even fit the iPad 2's super-fast GPU in there.
  • Reply 117 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex.sebenski View Post

Agreed. The thinner build with a bigger screen design and a touch sensitive home button for app switching would be enough to sell me....

I think there are far more people who like the iPhone 4 design than there are that prefer the proposed newer, iPad like design. The thing you describe that would make you buy it, is the exact thing that would make me *not* buy it.

I don't want a bigger phone or a bigger screen, I certainly don't want it to be flat with sharp edges like the iPad. I could see a smaller iPad, or a larger iPod touch, but if the phone is getting any bigger than it's (already fairly portly) size, I don't want it and I think the majority of buyers would agree.
  • Reply 118 of 179
    Quote:

sigh.

have you ever actually worn out your home button? know anybody whose home button got worn out by excessive clicking?

yep. mine actually stopped working altogether. i had to jailbreak it in order to simulate the home button using activator.
  • Reply 119 of 179
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

I dont think 'troll' means what you think it means.

I would agree to some extent that a larger screen is eventually going to be a must in the iPhone. I'm looking at all my friends who have recently picked up android phones (gs II and htc sensation among others) and my poor little 3GS, while capable, looks quite old school now. I've never been good at the virtual keyboard, but pecking around on the 3GS is far more painful for me that it is on phone with larger screens. Even another 1/2 inch would help.
  • Reply 120 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

... if the low end rumors are true this is a very un-sexy update. I mean the faster processor and better camera are not exactly the blow your skirt up kind of things. Now, I definitely think that the processor upgrade is a great move, and this is also true for the camera upgrade... I think the point is that people are hoping/expecting more from Apple than an incremental upgrade. ...

I disagree. What you describe is exactly what I'm hoping for and it would 'blow my skirt up' enough to make me buy one.

What you are saying here is almost word for word what a lot of people said just before the iPhone 3Gs came out too, and the day *after* it came out, everyone was falling all over themselves to say what a great move it was and how they were going to run out and get one.

I think the bottom line is that despite what people say on forums, Apple pretty much has a licence to print money here and no matter what comes out, it will sell like hotcakes. That being said, I don't see them blowing the high end part of the market that they typically like to occupy, by coming out with a giant screen mini-iPad type design as the rumours have been suggesting, which would only satisfy the budget conscious low-end american market.

iPhone 4 is very definitely the sexiest phone on the planet right now. The idea that they might re-use the basic design for the following year is not only *not* crazy, it's very sensible and pretty much to be expected.