HTC eyeing webOS purchase to compete with Apple's iOS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"I want to bankrupt my cell phone department first!" "No, me!" "No, ME!"

It would seem to me that WebOS is the 21st Century Amiga. Beautiful, possibly ahead of its time, but ultimately doomed.
  • Reply 62 of 110
    I don't believe people still use the multitasking thing...since iOS 4 Apple has implemented a good enough version of multitasking for mobile devices.

Reminds me of when Atheists (a group I belong to) use the stupid argument "Religion is responsible for ALL the wars in the world." when it is clearly not.

But yea. All that was meant by multitasking was background realtime updates, streaming audio, etc....all that has been dealt with in a rather intelligent (See no duh) way that saves battery life.

Android has similar means (and has had for a while) but a lot of devs don't implement them thus leading to a significant battery drain from some apps with lazy devs.

in summation...the multitasking argument is retarded.

Also as someone said, that blackberry playbook commercial made no sense to me either...if I leave a video to check my email, or a random youtube video I expect to go back to it and start off exactly where I left...stupid commercial is stupid.
  • Reply 63 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes, you can consider WebOS to be the OS of the future...

...and it always will be!

• Reply 64 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd still like RiM to buy it. QNX/AIR doesn't seem to be working out so well for them?

Ummm... let's see if we can gain a "last-to-market" feature-set advantage:

+ Fast Dual-Core CPU GPU

+1 GB RAM

+ Real-Mulitasking

+ HDMI

+ Wicked Slow UEX

+ Dual CEO Global Posturing

+ Voice-Activated Blather

+ Mumbo-Jumbo Marketing

+ Serendipitous Support System (even we didn't know we knew that)

+ Invisible Infrastructure

+ Ephemeral Ecosystem

+ Flash and the Full Web Experience

?

?

?

- EMail

- Calendar

?

?

?

? Messaging

? Voice Calls

Who says we don't know how to set priorities?

... in the singing voice of Dandy Don: "Turn out the lights... The party's over..."
  • Reply 65 of 110
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Developers.....developers......developers

How many os's will be supported and viable

Maybe 2-3

It's a reasonable strategy for apple to ALLOW

Webos to be purchased since it drains android

And fragments the market
  • Reply 66 of 110
    Can't blame HTC really.... Google effectively told them and the other android headset makers to take a hike by buying. Oto. You know they will give moto the upper hand and set it to succeed.

As far as webOS being "better" at this and that, as others said, multitasking on mobile is a tad odd and limited in what it can actually offer....but even if we say it's really superior technically for arguments sake, the technology Cemetary is full of seemingly superior but unpopular technologies. Don't know how many remember OS/2, BeOS, etc.... It's not that they even went through life cycle like say the Amiga or Atari... They never caught on despite their perceived superiority.
  • Reply 67 of 110
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Google wants a lot more then advertising space. They data mine. A lot of personal information is stored at Google from Android users.

. . . and from iPhone users.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well at least HTC know how to make hardware....unlike Palm or HP.

That's why I thought this move would make sense for HTC.
  • Reply 69 of 110
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

And don't let me start on where did they try to get my contacts. Advertising is nothing without data and search data alone is so 5 years ago.

Did they do that? If so it was with your permission, since Google requires Opt-in for gathering personal data.

As for where Apple gets your location, even if you don't "search":

In its letter to Congress last year, Apple said that it only collects location data from people who use apps that require location. It doesn't specify how often a person must use the app for intermittent collection to occur.

Apple also said in the letter that it collects Wi-Fi and GPS information when the phone is searching for a cellular connection. Apple said the data it transmits about location aren't associated with a unique device identifier, except for data related to its mobile advertising network

Apple gathers the data to help build a "database with known location information," the letter says. "This information is batched and then encrypted and transmitted to Apple over a Wi-Fi Internet connection every twelve hours (or later if the device does not have Wi-Fi Internet access at that time)," the company wrote in the July letter to Congress.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz1XmBpMakT
  • Reply 70 of 110
    Quote:

Give me one reason I'd love to have my videos playing in the background or any other 'feature' of "real" multitasking.

Actually, I can give you a pretty good reason for the current iPad -- and even more so for the next one. It's rather specialized, but here goes:

There already is a VideoCam with WiFi that transmits the image to an iPad during live capture.

As the video is shot, an assistant logs, evaluates and classifies various shots to prepare them for editing. This very tedious and time-consuming job is usually done in the studio and delays the actual editing process by several hours. With "live logging" the delay is virtually eliminated.

Sony launch XMPilot an iPad app that lets you log shots as you shoot for direct ingest into Final Cut Pro bins

I believe the iPad with A5 CPU/GPU/RAM may be robust enough to background transcode the shots into something lightweight like ProRes Proxy. During pauses in the filming they could begin transmission of these proxy clips to the studio.

Or, 2 iPads could be used -- one for logging and another for transcoding.

As the proxy clips arrive, the editor can ingest them into FCPX and and immediately start editing the proxy media and very quickly get to a rough or first cut. Later, as the full-quality media arrives, it is immediately ingested and replaces the proxy media, while preserving the edits already applied.

I can see this being used for news, sports, live events -- where turn-around time is critical. No need to be concerned about battery, because the electrical equipment required by the cameras is more than enough to keep the iPads charged.

You might be watching video of that event you just attended on the iPads in your car -- before you leave the parking lot!
  • Reply 71 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. In the long run, healthy competition for Apple in this space will keep pushing innovation forward. That can only be a good thing for Apple and it's customers. Trying to be a monopoly and threatening competitors with lawsuits leads to stagnation and eventually decline.

Wait, what you're saying is "Apple should allow competitive copying so that its competitors will start innovating." It doesn't make sense. I don't understand how some people don't get that Apple is trying to thwart copying, not innovation. Companies that try to steer clear of copying end up creating something new, i.e. they innovate. Since the iPhone and iPad, almost every competing product that has come along looks just like an iPhone or an iPad. I don't get how that fosters innovation. It's the opposite.

Everyone wants to get in on the profit pie that Apple has created, and they want to get in fast. So they make calculated decisions to imitate almost everything that Apple does. It's the fastest way to snatch their piece of pie. But don't delude yourself. This scenario is not inspiring more innovation. When Apple slaps their hands away from the pie, then we'll see some innovation. I'm not convinced that Apple has come up with some sort of ultimate, absolute design that is so perfect that no other competing product could ever compare or surpass it. Once Apple's competitors start thinking outside the imitation box, one of them may just create the next big thing.
  • Reply 72 of 110
    I've read many times from people who own both iOS devices and WebOS devices that WebOS is really good and in some ways better than iOS. So why do so many people keep saying that WebOS is a failure as an OS? Surely it failed due to other corporate support reasons but not due to being a bad OS. It isn't as good as iOS in some ways but isn't that expected? There will only be one best OS. So what if WebOS is number two.

We know that Android is fragmenting, There are versions of Linux that work on some tablet devices but none of them are perfect. WebOS could become a great OS in position number two. If it were owned by one company it wouldn't become fragmented and would eventually be a strong competitor. Who knows, one day it might overtake iOS if HTC or somebody will build great hardware to run it.

Maybe some of the WebOSs problems were from hardware limitations. Somewhere there is a hacker who has put it on an iPad to see how it works. It probably ran better than on the HP hardware.
  • Reply 73 of 110
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Please don't do it. There is no space for another player and webOS has no developers left. Just let it die off so we can start something new.
  • Reply 74 of 110
    webOS multitasking is much better because of the card interface. iOS's multitasking UI sucks. I don't care nearly as much about what's allowed to run in the background.

Quote:

Quote:

?and actually has decent notifications.

*coughiOS5cough*

webOS's notifications are much better than in any version of iOS.
  • Reply 75 of 110
    I think this is a ruse. Given that Google just bought up part of Motorola, I'm thinking some of Google's partners might be feeling a little threatened or uncertain at the moment. It would make good sense to talk about bailing on Android in public and becoming a competitor. Seems like a little corporate saber rattling to me.

I wish it were true however. I'd like the smartphone market not follow the same path as the PC industry, where you had basically one OS and many hardware makers, and anyone not playing into that scheme was relegated to niche status. While that arrangement looks like lots of competition, it really isn't nor does it function like a competitive market (as we all saw in the 90s when every company in the tech landscape was more or less a division of Microsoft.) It would be interesting to see true competition with lots of different companies, each with their own hardware line and OS.
  • Reply 76 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spinfusor View Post

webOS multitasking is much better because of the card interface. iOS's multitasking UI sucks. I don't care nearly as much about what's allowed to run in the background.

webOS's notifications are much better than in any version of iOS.

I agree having tiles is better for switching between apps, however for me the tabbed safari is much better and faster for switching between web pages.

I disagree with your statement about notifications. Again I do like that there is a visable queue that you have notifications in webos, but ios5 gives me much more detail including showing the header from the recent messages in multiple accounts rather than just showing that I have one message in one account, 2 in another and 5 in the third and just the subject of the first one in each account. It also does a better job at showing upcoming events in calendar and even alerts from other applications.
  • Reply 77 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azentropy View Post

I agree having tiles is better for switching between apps, however for me the tabbed safari is much better and faster for switching between web pages.

I disagree with your statement about notifications. Again I do like that there is a visable queue that you have notifications in webos, but ios5 gives me much more detail including showing the header from the recent messages in multiple accounts rather than just showing that I have one message in one account, 2 in another and 5 in the third and just the subject of the first one in each account. It also does a better job at showing upcoming events in calendar and even alerts from other applications.

I think he's speaking pre-iOS 5 (the OS that's on the market right now) as of iOS 5 the notifications seem (from what I've seen) to improve greatly upon what Android has had in place.

Can't really go wrong there.
  • Reply 78 of 110
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    It tried to. It bid on Palm. HP outbid Apple. Apple, however, was going to operate Palm as a subsidiary and keep Palm's phones alive. That would have been better for Palm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I'm wondering why apple doesn't purchase webOS. I'm sure there's some good stuff they could use.

But thinking deeper, letting someone like HTC get it deprives android of a major partner. Stunt androids growth by reduced HTC-android powered phones being replaced with WebOS?

Once other partners see HTC's success at weening itself off of android, others would follow suit. So unless Google can get their Googlerola phone out the doors quick, Android would see a DROP in handset activations.

IDK. Flimsy thinking?

• Reply 79 of 110
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If you use the Chrome browser, it calls home like every two minutes and tells Google.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

How can Google know my actual present location if I don't search? And don't let me start on where did they try to get my contacts. Advertising is nothing without data and search data alone is so 5 years ago.

• Reply 80 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

I think this is a ruse. Given that Google just bought up part of Motorola, I'm thinking some of Google's partners might be feeling a little threatened or uncertain at the moment. It would make good sense to talk about bailing on Android in public and becoming a competitor. Seems like a little corporate saber rattling to me.

I wish it were true however. I'd like the smartphone market not follow the same path as the PC industry, where you had basically one OS and many hardware makers, and anyone not playing into that scheme was relegated to niche status. While that arrangement looks like lots of competition, it really isn't nor does it function like a competitive market (as we all saw in the 90s when every company in the tech landscape was more or less a division of Microsoft.) It would be interesting to see true competition with lots of different companies, each with their own hardware line and OS.

The issue with different OSes is that it creates too many ecosystems....and with 2 large and popular ecosystems reigning supreme right now I can't see a 3rd/4th/5th/etc entering and being successful...

granted I'd say a good 30-50% of Android's users don't really give a damn about the OS and could easily switch to another OS if it is appealing enough.

WP7 is beautiful IMO but BORRRRIIINNNNGGGG as all hell and while iOS to me is boring too (but stunning) it is at least a lot more interactive than WP7. Android is the ugly girl who'll let you put it in any hole who sometimes/often looks pretty damn good when she's dressed up.

I'd like to see WebOS stay though...but I can't see it taking off. I'd rather see it's features absorbed into iOS or Android.