HTC eyeing webOS purchase to compete with Apple's iOS

Comments

• Reply 81 of 110
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Not sure how the DOJ would be successful there. Apple is 1) not a monopoly, and 2) isn't relying on a government license to operate (e.g. AT&T). As previous mentioned, Apple made a bid for Palm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I can't imagine that Apple could ever buy WebOS. The DOJ would be all over them and stop the purchase on antitrust grounds.

• Reply 82 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I think he's speaking pre-iOS 5 (the OS that's on the market right now) as of iOS 5 the notifications seem (from what I've seen) to improve greatly upon what Android has had in place.

Can't really go wrong there.

Maybe, but he was quoting someone who mentioned iOS5 and did make the point to state "any" so I assumed he was including iOS5 in his statement.
  • Reply 83 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd argue that poor management killed every iteration of WebOS. WebOS in itself has a lot of potential.

WebOS on HTC hardware could be a solid fit. WebOS was held back by 3 year old hardware.
  • Reply 84 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

As long as Google remained the search partner, I don't know that they'd be that concerned. The whole idea for Google offering a smartphone OS was to help prevent Microsoft and Apple from locking them out of the mobile advertising space.

Google was only concerned with MS and not Apple. Google did their whole Anti-Apple GoogleIO 1.5 years back simply to do revisionist history and enflame their loyal followers.
  • Reply 85 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. In the long run, healthy competition for Apple in this space will keep pushing innovation forward. That can only be a good thing for Apple and it's customers. Trying to be a monopoly and threatening competitors with lawsuits leads to stagnation and eventually decline.

Oh right, because in the last 14 years Apple has clearly stagnated and is now in decline, if it weren't for failures like Palm, Microsoft, and RIM keepin' them innovating. Oh thank you, RIM. Oh thank you Palm. Competition be praised. Without competition, Apple would have nobody to steal their ideas from. OMG, it's so clear to me now: iPod owes its success to copying the Zune! And Mac OS X: total rip-off of Windows 8. Man, you are absolutely right.
  • Reply 86 of 110
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 87 of 110
    deleted
  • Reply 88 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I agree that FCP X is a nearly complete failure, but please note that I never used the phrase you put in quotes. "Sheeple" is all yours: own it and apologize, or be recognized by your peers here for the straw man vendor you currently appear to be.

I was referring to multitasking. Trust me: it will come to iOS, probably in v6 but certainly no later than v7. And when Apple adopts it, most of those who said it was useless will suddenly discover just how useful it is.

And as long as I'm predicting the future, let's go one step further: iOS 6 will support widgets. Without them the OS is nothing more than an app launcher, an uninteresting grid of icons. With widgets you have a tablet workspace fully adaptable to your needs and preferences.

I'm taking wagers on both of these predictions, if you're a betting man who's willing to part with his money....

I don't see anything wrong with iOS' current multitasking. What's the problem with it again? What problems would this "true" multitasking solve in a person's everyday use?

As for widgets, you act like mac users have never had widgets before. We've had it in OSX for years and there is a large percentage of those folks who either turn it off completely or never use them. Is my mac mini now "just an app launcher" just because I ignore the dashboard?
  • Reply 89 of 110
    deleted
  • Reply 90 of 110
    Quote:

Remember Mac OS before v6.7? It's like that.

Dashboard != Android widgets.

Tip: it's more than a name.

1) and??? What common usage case is this "true" multitasking suppose to do so much better than iOS? People buy these things to use them. If the functionality doesn't add any everyday value while taking away value (battery life), then what good is it?

2). Oh, I'm sorry. I thought widgets on Android were always connected applets that display information like weather, etc. JUST LIKE ON OSX.
  • Reply 91 of 110
    deleted
  • Reply 92 of 110
    Quote:

If you've never taken advantage of multitasking on your computing devices it may not be possible to explain the usefulness in a way you won't argue with. The rest of the world appreciates the rather revolutionary role multitasking as played in the evolution of UIs, and when (not "if", "when") it comes to iOS you'll begin to understand.

One can simplify anything to a point of absurdity, but as with so many things we appreciate about OS X, details matter.

Widgets in OS X exist only in a discrete layer which must be activated to be used, while Android widgets exist directly on the background of the workspace where they're always available. The unusually modal nature of OS X widgets is often cited as one of the main reasons they're so seldom used.

That said, in those more general aspects you're entirely correct, and both implementations share some common aspects. Accordingly, all the reasons Apple presented for the usefulness of their widgets apply to Android widgets, just many times more so because they're so much more readily available.

For all of these reasons, it's a pretty safe bet that Apple will add widget support to iOS, likely by v6. If you feel strongly that Apple made a huge mistake with adding widgets in OS X and will never add them to iOS, you're welcome to demonstrate your confidence by taking my bet.

Dude, I have a 2010 mac mini so clearly I have utilized multitasking on a desktop. On a desktop though, I can have several windows of different applications open. That is not practical on a tablet. So I ask again, what makes "true" multitasking sooooo important in everyday usage on a tablet or phone? (third time asking and no answer. Hmmmmm.)
  • Reply 93 of 110
    Quote:

Is that what you use multitasking for on your laptop?

If so, nevermind....

Having what to do with anything about iOS?

Either answer our questions or don't waste our time with this discussion further.
  • Reply 94 of 110
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Remember Mac OS before v6.7? It's like that.

Except it's nothing like that. There's already multitasking on iOS and it's been there since day one unlike in MacOS.

The primary advantage of webos in terms of multitasking is the cards which I think is brilliant. Far better than Android or iOS in multitasking management.

However, there's not a whole lot (actually, nothing) I want running in the background on my touchpad except the things that already run in the background on my iPad. Maybe I can see wanting a game to run in background if the computer turn takes a long time but I have none of those in iOS, android or webOS.

You can't see two apps run side by side in any of the mobile OSs so the iOS limitations on iOS developers is more than reasonable and has distinct advantages in terms of battery usage.

Of course, you already knew this and just trolling.
  • Reply 95 of 110
    deleted
  • Reply 96 of 110
    Quote:

Perhaps not on your tablet. I love being able to keep a VNC connection to my workstation open while downloading a document and checking my mail on mine. But then again, I'm running Honeycomb on a Tegra2 CPU so that's an easy thing to do.

Sooooo you have three to four miniture sized windows on a (hopefully) 10" display???? Yeah, that's real productive. As for the "Tegra2", you do know that the current iPad spanks it right.

If you don't mean that you have all of these windows open on one screen, then big whoop. The iPad does this too so I ask again: What's the big deal with "true" multitasking in everyday usage?
  • Reply 97 of 110
    Quote:

Perhaps not on your tablet. I love being able to keep a VNC connection to my workstation open while downloading a document and checking my mail on mine. But then again, I'm running Honeycomb on a Tegra2 CPU so that's an easy thing to do.

Gee, I can check mail (ios core app) while downloading a document (task completion api) stuff with VNC in the background (fast app switching api) without disconnecting on my iPad. I can even do that with Skype running (VOIP persistent background api)...

You had a point somewhere right?
  • Reply 98 of 110
    deleted
  • Reply 99 of 110
    Quote:

Are you truly unaware of how Apple distinguishes what it calls "multitasking" from the multitasking in Android?

Are you? Because if you were aware you wouldn't have picked that particular example...

Quote:

And when it comes to iOS, you can choose to quit your apps when you switch between them.

Enjoy using your tablet as you like.

Thanks for your permission. Try not to lie about our tablet, if you can, while enjoying yours.
  • Reply 100 of 110
    deleted