'Unprecedented' demand for Apple's iPhone 5 exceeds iPhone 4 hype

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I have commented on this sort of survey before, but it proves once again that SOME people will purely buy on brand alone, without knowing anything about the product.

You are thinking wrong. The reality is the exact opposite of what you so foolhardily suggest.

They want the phone because they know that Apple will deliver, because many of those people have owned and used Apple products for many years, even decades, and they've not been disappointed. Apple is at the top of all those customer satisfaction surveys. Think for a second why that might be? Other companies would kill to be in Apple's position. Apple didn't get to be in that position overnight, they've earned it.

I know that I am happy with every single Apple hardware purchase that I have made and I'm not looking for a phone at the moment, but if I was, there would only be one choice for me and that would be the new iPhone of course. People who are happy with Apple devices, Mac OS X, iOS and the Mac ecosystem prefer to stay in that world. Why? Because they are happy as fuck.
  • Reply 42 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Now we just need Apple to arrange a little presentation.......

Aren't they presenting this next Wednesday, the 21st? I've heard the invitations go out tomorrow on the 14th, and the unveil will be 10/21.
  • Reply 43 of 108
    ...but to actually almost commit to purchasing is very difference - prior to release of the spec.

I also plan to get an iPhone 5 IF it is up to snatch. But if it isn't the ONLY phone out there that is innovative and powerful enough to attract my interest is the Samsung Galaxy Note. A superb phone, no matter your allegiance, and something Apple should have done ages ago, with regards stylus operation for creative types and free thinkers.

END

Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

I'm kind of curious as to where you set your bar on the Apple stock price? $500? $1000?

I can't wait for the iPhone 5 to be available myself, and this definitely has absolutely nothing to do with an Apple logo. I currently have a 3GS and it's time for a replacement. My wife has an iPhone 4 and it's been a solid device also. I've owned a couple of iPods over the years and I currently have a 3.5 year old Mac Pro as well as a 6 month old MBP. I have enough experience with Apple products to have a certain level of expectation for the quality and performance of their products. This isn't about some fanboy obsession, it simple observation and experience with their products.

Am I hoping for a 4" LTE phone with 1GB of RAM? ABSOLUTELY!!! Do I expect that to be in the cards for the iPhone 5? Unfortunately, no. I expect the 5 to be a incremental boost over the 4 with a faster processor, better camera, and an improved antenna setup. I would love to have more than this, but I'll be quite satisfied with this as an upgrade to my aging 3GS.

• Reply 44 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And yet it will likely be a huge success sales wise.

Must kill you because you KNOW you could have done it better and yet . . .

It's sad that you really think that's what I'm implying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

I'm kind of curious as to where you set your bar on the Apple stock price? $500? $1000?

What, like a 52wk outlook? Well, we're at 381 right now. I say 481 by this time next year.

I'd LIKE to say 525+, but I know better.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Aren't they presenting this next Wednesday, the 21st? I've heard the invitations go out tomorrow on the 14th, and the unveil will be 10/21.

No, we know nothing yet.
  • Reply 45 of 108
    Quote:

I have commented on this sort of survey before, but it proves once again that SOME people will purely buy on brand alone, without knowing anything about the product. If the actual specs for the iPhone 5 had been released by Apple, then this would be understandable, but if I was Apple or any other vendor for that matter, I would be frankly embarrassed if people were so obsessed with me or my brand, they would buy anything I produced.

Again, this is very embarrassing and makes a joke of the Apple (stellar) sales figures, because it means that a proportion of Apple customers are buying based on brand, not functionality!

I have been defending Apple from my large proportion of Apple hating friends, but now, I am seeing they may have had a point.

Dont be a douche. I think you're smart enough to know the different between blindly buying on brand from hearsay and from buying on brand from a long reputation of excellent product and service. Or have you never bought an Apple product before?

Every reasonable poster on this forum hasn't made up their final decision on buying the next iPhone, but based on Apple history they are fairly assured they will be buying the next model.

Scenerio: If the device is built like a Moto phone and Apple scrapes iOS at the last minute for WP7 and it's only EDGE for data do you think they will still be lining up? Of course not, and you'll be the first to say that none of those will happen but that's you making predictions based on was is reasonable and logical to assume... Just like everyone who is excited about the next iPhone despite not having any hard evidence of what will and won't be included.
  • Reply 46 of 108
    Quote:

...but to actually almost commit to purchasing is very difference - prior to release of the spec.

END

The people surveyed haven't committed to shit. It's not like these people are prepaying and handing over their money for a phone that nobody has seen yet. It says in the article that they are likely to buy one, and of course when the iPhone 5 finally gets released, people will make a final decision and either go ahead and buy one or not.

Unless Apple has hired the design team behind the TouchPad to design their new phone and some Android programmers to design a new OS, it is unlikely that the new iPhone will disappoint.
  • Reply 47 of 108
    More proof, as if such were needed, that technophiles are pretty dumb lemmings when it comes to shiny toys.
  • Reply 48 of 108
    Quote:

Apple has announced nothing, they have sent out zero invitations.

I will point out that Apple has traditionally had major live announcements on Tuesday (including all of their financial earnings conference calls) so that weekly periodicals can make their deadlines. Once in a blue moon, Apple will announce something that isn't on a Tuesday, but on one expects it.

Why Wednesdays are being touted as likely announcement dates (here and other tech blogs) is a bit silly.
  • Reply 49 of 108
    Quote:

You quote me, disagree with me, and then have nothing to say about what I said? I never said anything about numbers or sales falling off. I said I hope that AAPL doesn't push the refresh back because they see all the hype they can get. Sales still being there is actually another point that makes my concern MORE valid. If they see that sales are still there, and by holding back a refresh they can get even more hype and fervor for the product, then they might be tempted to keep doing it.

Actually, I think Apple cares more about sales then hype. Remember that despite all of this "iPhone 5" hype, Apple sold a record 20 million "old" iPhones last quarter.

Joe Consumer doesn't read tech rumor blogs. There are maybe ten thousand active forum participants in the major tech rumor blogs (MacRumors, AppleInsider, Cnet, Engadget, Cultofmac, TUAW, etc.). The rumor mongers might hype up the next iPhone and post their blatherings about what missing feature will be the "dealbreaker", but the typical iPhone customer doesn't care about such matters.

Go read Apple's SEC filings. Those millions of iPhones that they're selling aren't going to Apple nerds.
  • Reply 50 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

More proof, as if such were needed, that technophiles are pretty dumb lemmings when it comes to shiny toys.

Actually, if this were the truth, wouldn't the HP TouchPad have done better. Lots of great specs (aka. shine) for us dumb lemmings to drool over. There have also been some impressive specs on phones especially by Samsung so why hasn't one of these dethroned the iPhone?

Let's face it, Apple has delivered a great line of products with both the iPhone and the iPad. The anticipation over the release of their products is not something based purely on glint and glitter but on a history of reliable and functional products.

Wait a sec... Why do I bother feeding the trolls? Sorry about that.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's an Apple product release. You think that's not the case every single time?

I've said it before, so I'll say it until it sticks: "No matter how low I set my bar, Apple always manages to worm under it."

So, Apple always manages to worm under your incredibly low expectations- why the hell do you still have any interest in the company, and why are you posting on a message-board on an apple rumor site? If any company disappointed me that much, if I thought that lowly of them, I certainly wouldn't continue to have any interest in them.

So the iPhone 4 'wormed' under your expectations? The iPad? Maybe you should move to another planet, because these devices are considered the best in their class in critical reviews, customer satisfaction, and of course sales. I instead would consider a more logical and reasonable explanation, which is that you have an irrational set of spoiled entitlement, and an unrealistic set of 'expectations' which clearly no company on earth can meet, and who noone else shares with you.
  • Reply 52 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So, Apple always manages to worm under your incredibly low expectations- why the hell do you still have any interest in the company, and why are you posting on a message-board on an apple rumor site? If any company disappointed me that much, if I thought that lowly of them, I certainly wouldn't continue to have any interest in them.

So the iPhone 4 'wormed' under your expectations? The iPad? Maybe you should move to another planet, because these devices are considered the best in their class in critical reviews, customer satisfaction, and of course sales. I instead would consider a more logical and reasonable explanation, which is that you have an irrational set of spoiled entitlement, and an unrealistic set of 'expectations' which clearly no company on earth can meet, and who noone else shares with you.

Uh, you're supposed to be saying that to the spec whores and people who demand LTE, 4.5" screens, HDMI, and optical drives on everything.

Not me. What the heck.
  • Reply 53 of 108
    Quote:

That's a complete falsehood.

It's too early for this? Do you seriously believe that HTC guy?

No, it's quite true, and I don't know about any HTC guy... Did someone from HTC make some comment about something?

I'm relating personal experience with the young folks that live in my neighborhood. All the chit chat among the teens is "ooh, did you see that new Droid -insert model here- phone? I want one of those." Sorry, that's the reality on main street - at least on the street where I live.
  • Reply 54 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

I'm embarrassed to break out my flip phone, which has an antenna.

an individual's personal identity and perceived self-worth shouldn't be associated with a piece of electronic equipment.
  • Reply 55 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Sorry, that's the reality on main street - at least on the street where I live.

Pretty much only your street, then.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nealg View Post

As an Apple shareholder, it doesn't matter if the iPhone is considered "cool". As long as the sell through is hot, that is all that matters.

Nuff said

"Cool" is very important to esteem deprived teens. It's important to businesses too, because those whipper snappers are your future customers, not just your current customers.
  • Reply 57 of 108
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

... but if I was Apple or any other vendor for that matter, I would be frankly embarrassed if people were so obsessed with me or my brand, they would buy anything I produced.

ACK!

That kind of brand loyalty is EXACTLY what every big company strives for! It is the holy grail!

Your thinly veiled implication is that Apple could put out absolute garbage and the people will still buy it. Perhaps so, but only once or twice in a row, and then the magic is gone along with the brand loyalty, unless you manage to win back their trust with more hits. You have to keep your batting average high.

That loyalty was earned through the years by consistently putting out products that excite customers EVEN AFTER THEY BUY AND USE IT. It didn't just come about magically because of Apple's wonderful marketing, secrecy and hype coupled with Mr Jobs' reality distortion field. The products are really exciting people who don't even know who Steve Jobs is.

Go back to business 101 if you would be embarrassed by people's obsession with your brand!

Thompson
  • Reply 58 of 108
    Quote:

Why? I LOVE my flip phone. It's so great. Thing's a complete tank. Drop it onto concrete? Not a scratch.

All I do with it is make phone calls, which is all I'd do phone-wise with my iPhone, anyway. That's the point of having an iPhone. Texting? Screw that. MMS? I'll e-mail. (though we DO have iMessage now for both of those, which I'd probably use).

Using maps to navigate / figure out where you are.

Using Yelp or similar apps to find a restaurant when you're on the road or someplace new.

Checking news headlines when you're away from an iPad or PC.

Taking pictures (of events, people, bar codes, whatever).

Playing games while you're bored.

Downloading the police light app (flashing red and blue) and scaring the crap out of your friends.

I could go on (and on and on). Don't get me wrong; I sometimes miss the form factor of my old flip phone; I like its small folded size and the way it curves around the face like a handset. But to say that there's no added benefit to getting an iPhone is a bit silly; it's like someone in 1983 saying "I have a calculator to do my math, and an Atari on my TV; why would I need to get a PC?"
  • Reply 59 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

"Cool" is very important to esteem deprived teens. It's important to businesses too, because those whipper snappers are your future customers, not just your current customers.

Actually, teens are using Apple products. They are current customers.

The iPod touch demographic is primarily the 13-24 year old age group. For the iPhone, it is the very lucrative 25-49 year old age group. As Steve mentioned himself, the iPod touch is training wheels for the iPhone. Of course, teens are also the primary target audience of the iPod nano and shuffle. Apple sells about two iPod touches for every three iPhones.

Today's teens are future iPhone iPhone customers. In a few years, there will probably be massive growth in iPhone owners as many of these kids graduate, get jobs, and then move from the iPod touch to the iPhone, taking all their apps, etc. with them to the smartphone.
  • Reply 60 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Actually, teens are using Apple products. They are current customers.

The iPod touch demographic is primarily the 13-24 year old age group. For the iPhone, it is the very lucrative 25-49 year old age group. As Steve mentioned himself, the iPod touch is training wheels for the iPhone. Of course, teens are also the primary target audience of the iPod nano and shuffle. Apple sells about two iPod touches for every three iPhones.

Today's teens are future iPhone iPhone customers. In a few years, there will probably be massive growth in iPhone owners as many of these kids graduate, get jobs, and then move from the iPod touch to the iPhone, taking all their apps, etc. with them to the smartphone.

Also, there is a very good reason Apple is willing to give price breaks and really push iPads instead of school books, iPads in classrooms, and iPad learning apps. If you can hook them young, get them familiar with something then they will be more apt to lean that way when they are making their own purchases.