new ipod nano?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i like the watchband idea (for riding & biking) and am considering getting an ipod nano but with apple normally launching new ipods in september would i be jumping the gun? i havent heard anything about a new nano since last spring when the body with a lens hole was shown. apple just introduced some new cases for the current nano's a couple weeks ago so is it safe to assume any upgrade would be minor? i am not in a huge rush for this so i am leaning towards waiting til september. any thoughts or info about new ones i may have missed? thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    yeezyyeezy Posts: 4member
    Well, I was pretty surprised when they came out with the current iPod nano, just because of how different it was compared to the older models. I think it'll be upgraded with some small features, but it doesn't really need a faster processor or anything since it doesn't run that many apps. However, I do see the shuffle eventually being kicked out. I mean, if you really want to shuffle all your songs, just go to the Music app and press it. But if you don't mind waiting, might as well wait until next month to be safe.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It'll get a camcorder.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It'll get a camcorder.

thats what i figure. i assume they wont change design too much because they are launching new accessories for it. a refresh is probably coming soon tho, they are discounted at most retailers. suppose i'll wait, i am using my kids older nano (g2) because my wife smashed my classic and i decided to replace it with a nano. i am just surprised there hasnt been any "leaks" or rumors about the update.

anybody have experience with the new polycarbonate hex icon watchbands? look nice online but i havent seen one in person. thinkin about one for me and one for the wifes b-day

• Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

thats what i figure. i assume they wont change design too much because they are launching new accessories for it.

Tut tut. APPLE isn't releasing these accessories, third parties are. Third parties have absolutely no idea what is going on. Apple could change everything about it.

Quote:

a refresh is probably coming soon tho, they are discounted at most retailers.

That and September is ALWAYS the month for iPods.

Quote:

i am just surprised there hasnt been any "leaks" or rumors about the update.

There were at the beginning of the year. That's how I know to say, against all logic or common sense, that there might be a camcorder on the thing.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    i understand that its not apple releasing the accessories but i would assume they are informing them of any major changes.

i remember those leaks from earlier this year but find it odd theres been nothing else about it if a refresh is around the corner. i'd like to see a camera on it but am more interested in games tailored to the nano. and access to nano apps would be cool.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

i understand that its not apple releasing the accessories but i would assume they are informing them of any major changes.

Nope. Apple tells third parties absolutely nothing in advance.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

thats what i figure. i assume they wont change design too much because they are launching new accessories for it. a refresh is probably coming soon tho, they are discounted at most retailers. suppose i'll wait, i am using my kids older nano (g2) because my wife smashed my classic and i decided to replace it with a nano. i am just surprised there hasnt been any "leaks" or rumors about the update.

anybody have experience with the new polycarbonate hex icon watchbands? look nice online but i havent seen one in person. thinkin about one for me and one for the wifes b-day

Ugh. That looks horrible compared to the TikTok and LunaTik.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ugh. That looks horrible compared to the TikTok and LunaTik.

i wanna see them in person. i like the idea of the polycarbonate vs rubber like the tiktok & lunatik. i cant stand rubber bands. i usually wear titanium watches, but havent found a titanium band for the nano. i tried on a clear polycarbonate watch a few years ago and it felt ok.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    so... retailers have the nanos (and other ipod products) on "sale" now. so does this mean a new product release? still no recent rumors or leaks for the new nano. apple must be making some strides w/ security.

im hoping to see a nano very similar to the current model with a few upgrades like video playback and maybe their own section of the app store.

hope to hear something soon. my wife broke my ipod classic & i am now in more of a rush for a new ipod.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

apple must be making some strides w/ security.

Not really. It's like this every year.

Quote:

im hoping to see a nano very similar to the current model with a few upgrades like video playback

On a 1.5" screen? Are you insane?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not really. It's like this every year.

On a 1.5" screen? Are you insane?

seems to me there are less leaks than normal. i dont expect to see an actual device like with the iphone4 situation but some rumored features and specs would be nice.

as far as the 1.5" screen goes, i'll agree i wouldnt want to watch a movie on it but older generations had it and nano specific games could be fun timekillers. i am sure app developers could design some great apps for this size device.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I'm not in the market for one at the moment but hope they step back one iteration (like they did with the shuffle).

The next step is to add bluetooth audio as the earphone and socket have got to be some of the size limiters.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I'm not in the market for one at the moment but hope they step back one iteration (like they did with the shuffle).

The next step is to add bluetooth audio as the earphone and socket have got to be some of the size limiters.

maybe a design somewhere between the current and last generation. something with a better/slightlt bigger screen but still small enough to be a wearable.