Sprint briefs employees on Apple's iPhone 4 ahead of Oct. launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sales associates at Sprint, the third-largest wireless carrier in the U.S., are said to have been briefed on the impending launch of Apple's iPhone 4, but not a fifth-generation model.

Sales associates with Sprint have been briefed on the imminent launch of the iPhone 4 on their network, TUAW reported on Tuesday. The associates have reportedly been told that Sprint will offer the iPhone 4 starting next month with standard data plans that include a $10 data smartphone premium not specific to the iPhone.

However, the information relayed by the sales associate also contradicts a report last month from The Wall Street Journal. The associate reportedly said that Sprint will not gain access to Apple's fifth-generation iPhone until 2012, likely in early spring, while the Journal reported in August that Sprint would sell the so-called "iPhone 5" at launch along with AT&T and Verizon in the U.S.

"The associate also suggested that Sprint will carry a 4G iPad, though launch dates and pricing were still unknown," Erica Sadun wrote. "Of course, Sprint already sells 4G access for the iPad via its external mobile 4G WiFi product; maybe that's what the briefing referenced."

Sprint, like Verizon, would require a CDMA version of the iPhone. Apple debuted a CDMA variant of the iPhone 4 this February, where it has been the top-selling smartphone ever since.

Currently in the U.S. the iPhone 4 is only available through AT&T, where it launched last June, and Verizon. Sprint is the third-largest carrier in the U.S., but without the iPhone, the company has struggled to compete with AT&T and Verizon.

The last of the "big four" carriers in the U.S. is T-Mobile, which AT&T hopes to acquire for $39 billion. But AT&T faces an uphill battle for regulatory approval, as the U.S. government has filed an antitrust suit to block the deal, saying it would hurt competition in the American wireless industry. Sprint has also opposed the deal with its own lawsuit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sprint will carry a 4G iPad.

Yeah. Right. A WiMAX iPad. That's rich.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Not a credible rumor.

The last people to get specifics about the iPhone launch would be sales associates at a mobile operator's retail operation. Apple knows that retail line employees have the worst discipline in keeping confidential matters to themselves. Apple doesn't tell its own retail line employees until the last minute, they certainly the heck aren't giving their channel partners the opportunity to spill the beans weeks in advance.

Sprint retail sales associates will be given the details hours before their store opens.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I do believe they were briefed. But why just about the 4? Simple, because there is no official 4s or 5 yet. This just looks as though Apple will finally be discontinuing the 3GS and substituting the 4 at the low end. After Apple announces the new model, Sprint and other companies will be able to tell their employees what to expect.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    This is called gorilla dust. The shysters in WS are trying to maximize their profits before the impending release. No one lnows when, but it is expected fairly soon.

They need to bring the stock down and give their call writers some leeway. I hope they get caught with their pants down. But then again apple has no kill instinct. they probably will not rain on MSFT parade this week. No matter how much the apple is insulted and spat on.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I do believe they were briefed. But why just about the 4? Simple, because there is no official 4s or 5 yet. This just looks as though Apple will finally be discontinuing the 3GS and substituting the 4 at the low end. After Apple announces the new model, Sprint and other companies will be able to tell their employees what to expect.

I agree with this reasoning - this is a low-level guy who doesn't know squat, and they reason they were briefed on the iP4 is that's all that's out yet.

I will say that if Sprint *doesn't* get the iP5 next month, it's likely I'll be one of many jumping ship. I've waiting a long time for Sprint to get the iPhone, but with my contract up and my frustration with my BB running high, I just don't have any interest or incentive to wait another 4 or 5 months for the iP5 to maybe finally eventually come to Sprint.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

3GS isn't going away, since iOS5 will continue to support it.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbehunin View Post

3GS needs to go away. It's holding back software development.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbehunin View Post

There is a long history of Apple products that were no longer for sale that still received OS updates.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Anytime there is a new article about the possibility of Sprint getting the iPhone, I have noticed a lot of angry people talking about how Sprint sucks, bad customer service, poor coverage, overbilling, etc.. The funny thing is that the comments seem to be copied and pasted almost verbatim on numerous forums. Either there are some really angry former customers out there who really have a vendetta against Sprint and carry a grudge for years or some Verizon and AT&T employees have too much time on their hands. Not talking about this thread (yet) but it inevitably happens.

I switched from Cingular to Sprint about 6 months prior to the launch of the original iPhone. I don't regret the switch one bit. I could not even make a phone call inside my house on Cingular (now AT&T) without dropping a call. I had to go out in the yard and sit in the swing. So as much as I looked with envy at the iPhone, I knew that the iPhone on AT&T would still suffer from AT&T's terrible coverage at my house.

My experience these past 5 years has been excellent. Very very few dropped calls. The few times I have needed to speak to customer service or tech support I spoke with a native English speaker with very little wait time and my issues were quickly resolved. Best of all I pay $40 for a plan that would cost about $110 or more on the current iPhone carriers.

I guess the main point I am trying to make is that cell phone carriers are similar to politics in that it is very local. Local in terms of the coverage at your house and places you tend to frequent or travel. Also local in terms of your experiences with the carrier and the stories you hear from you circle of friends or family. My experience with AT&T was terrible so I switched. I am very happy with Sprint and will be even happier now that my wait for an iPhone on my favorite carrier is almost up.

If you are not happy with your carrier, don't be afraid to try out a new one. Whether it is one of the big 4 or even the smaller rivals. Too much misinformation out there that may not apply to you. Sprint may not have as good as coverage as Verizon but at least we can roam on Verizon for free out in the boonies. Sprint has a much larger 3G map than AT&T though.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

I will say that if Sprint *doesn't* get the iP5 next month, it's likely I'll be one of many jumping ship. I've waiting a long time for Sprint to get the iPhone, but with my contract up and my frustration with my BB running high, I just don't have any interest or incentive to wait another 4 or 5 months for the iP5 to maybe finally eventually come to Sprint.

I had been considering moving to Sprint for unlimited data if they get the iPhone 5 (I currently pay $15/mo. for 200MB with ATT). I had not considered a late release for just Sprint, and that would be very disappointing.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is a long history of Apple products that were no longer for sale that still received OS updates.

Right, that's what I meant to say - it probably won't be for sale anymore, but it will STILL be supported by Apple for the unforeseeable future.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I've lost count of the people who have assured me they already have 4G since they have an iPhone 4! The public are so confused by all these claims of 4G services and what 4G is thanks to so many misleading ads.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I've lost count of the people who have assured me they already have 4G since they have an iPhone 4! The public are so confused by all these claims of 4G services and what 4G is thanks to so many misleading ads.

Considering no one has 4G except Japan I find that funny too.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Since my speeds over WiFi at home at least are faster than any type of 4G including LTE from Verizon I guess I should call my speeds 5G.

But seriously, whether it is 3G, 3.5G, or 4G it really doesn't matter as long as you get a good data experience for the apps you are running. My main data app tends to be Pandora and it streams flawlessly over 3G in my car with my phone connected to my car stereo. Even Netflix also play fine over 3G the times I have watched it. For me, 3G fits the bill nicely and 4G is a bonus to use in the future once they sort out the battery draining issues and build it out a lot more.

What good is 4G LTE if you have a 2GB data cap? It is pretty easy to blow through 2GB with a really fast connection since you are far more likely to stream a lot more video. I use more than 2GB now primarily on 3G. Will those AT&T and Verizon customers grandfathered in with unlimited data also get unlimited LTE or was that only for 3G? I am very happy that for the moment at least I have a plan that offers unlimited 3G and 4G even if I don't use the 4G very often. I think Sprint will keep the unlimited around a lot longer than people think. They have a ton of spectrum and once all those old Nextel towers and frequency are converted to Sprint use they will have even more. Bet you didn't know that Sprint/Nextel has more actual towers than Verizon or AT&T. They will start decommissioning many of those old Nextel towers that overlap and convert ones that don't overlap to Sprint. This will increase the coverage and save billions in the process.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

Considering no one has 4G except Japan I find that funny too.

Define 4G. I think most people would agree that WiMax and LTE, both available in the U.S. on Verizon and Sprint would qualify. Japan was actually very late to the LTE party. They only just started their service and only on tablets a few months ago. I don't know if they finally have LTE phones or not yet, but they were hardly the first to 4G. The U.S. beat Japan to 4G by a wide stretch. Prior to the iPhone in Japan, most people used very simplistic dumb flip phones. Granted, they included very nice cameras and a few other nice specs, but essentially feature phones.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Not a credible rumor.

The last people to get specifics about the iPhone launch would be sales associates at a mobile operator's retail operation. Apple knows that retail line employees have the worst discipline in keeping confidential matters to themselves. Apple doesn't tell its own retail line employees until the last minute, they certainly the heck aren't giving their channel partners the opportunity to spill the beans weeks in advance.

Sprint retail sales associates will be given the details hours before their store opens.

Agree 100%. There is no way Sprint would accept a plan that has them delivering the iPhone 4 at the same time that the rivals will be introducing the iPhone 5. That would amount to an admission of 2nd class citizenship on Sprint's part.

This is one of the least credible rumors I've seen yet, and probably didn't merit repeating.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Anytime there is a new article about the possibility of Sprint getting the iPhone, I have noticed a lot of angry people talking about how Sprint sucks, bad customer service, poor coverage, overbilling, etc.. The funny thing is that the comments seem to be copied and pasted almost verbatim on numerous forums. Either there are some really angry former customers out there who really have a vendetta against Sprint and carry a grudge for years or some Verizon and AT&T employees have too much time on their hands. Not talking about this thread (yet) but it inevitably happens.

<--snip-->

If you are not happy with your carrier, don't be afraid to try out a new one.

...and that is how/why I switched FROM Sprint. You can dismiss all the negative talk about Sprint, but my choice to switch was based entirely on my personal experience with their lackluster customer service and their "just buy a new phone" attitude. They used to be great, and they used to be a scappy alternative to the cellular hegemony of what became Cingular and Verizon. It's great to hear that you have had good experiences with them, but don't dismiss my personal experience as "copy and pasting from different forums." They aren't the alternative they used to be, back when their logo was red and their name included "PCS". Sprint became the very thing they were once a fresh alternative to.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Define 4G.

Legally, 1Gbps.

Quote:

I think most people would agree that WiMax and LTE, both available in the U.S. on Verizon and Sprint would qualify

Shame that T-Mobile and AT&T don't care about that.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    I am sure they will get both. I have a Sprint business rep (who happens to often have good information about what is coming to the Sprint), and she has stated to me that they will have both the 4 and 5. I assume that the reason that there is a briefing on the 4 only is because they are precluded from giving out information to their staff about the 5 (which would inevitably be leaked to everyone and their mother).

I received an email from Sprint (which was subsequently retracted) which stated that there would be a iPhone 5 dual mode and a CDMA iPhone 4.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

...and that is how/why I switched FROM Sprint. You can dismiss all the negative talk about Sprint, but my choice to switch was based entirely on my personal experience with their lackluster customer service and their "just buy a new phone" attitude. They used to be great, and they used to be a scappy alternative to the cellular hegemony of what became Cingular and Verizon. It's great to hear that you have had good experiences with them, but don't dismiss my personal experience as "copy and pasting from different forums." They aren't the alternative they used to be, back when their logo was red and their name included "PCS". Sprint became the very thing they were once a fresh alternative to.

If it didn't work out for you then you were absolutely correct to change. I had very similar issues with Cingular/AT&T and did the same. AT&T coverage still sucks at my house by the way. Sprint has come a very long way from a few years ago. You might be surprised. Their customer support actually ties Verizon now and far exceeds AT&T. I am very happy with Sprint and I hope you are happy with your carrier. If Verizon offered me a similar plan and price I would definitely jump ship.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonas Smithson View Post

I have a Sprint business rep…

…who doesn't know anything about it…

Quote:

I received an email from Sprint (which was subsequently retracted) which stated that there would be a iPhone 5 dual mode and a CDMA iPhone 4.

Post the e-mail or don't talk crap.