Latest Samsung lawsuit targets Apple's iPhone, iPad in France

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Samsung this week announced yet another lawsuit against Apple, this time filed in France, accusing Apple of infringing three mobile phone patents with the iPhone and iPad.

The lawsuit was made known after it was announced by Samsung on Monday, but it was originally filed in a court in Paris in July. The first hearing is expected to occur in December, according to Agence France-Presse.

"The complaint focuses on three technology patents, and not on the design of the tablets," a Samsung spokeswoman reportedly said. That's different from Apple's own lawsuit in Germany, in which the iPad maker won a permanent ban against the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany last week.

The complaint is said to be related to three Smasung patents covering UMTS, or third-generation high-speed data transfer on cell networks. It targets the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, as well as the first- and second-generation iPad models with 3G radios.

Unlike Germany and Australia, where Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 has been barred from sale, the touchscreen tablet is currently available in France. Samsung said the device has sold well since it launched there in mid-August.

Samsung's lawsuit is yet another in a growing list of disputes between it and Apple. Just last week, another hearing was held in Japan, where Apple has asked the government to bar sales of Samsung's Galaxy S, Galaxy S II and Galaxy Tab 7.

In late August, a Netherlands judge blocked sales of Samsung's Galaxy smartphones in Europe, while the company has also been forced to delay the launch of its Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia after a court there barred its sale.

Apple fired first in the legal battle, accusing Samsung of copying the look and feel of its highly successful iPad and iPhone devices with its first suit filed in April. Samsung quickly shot back, accusing Apple of violating several patents it owns related to power consumption and 3G data transmission with mobile devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Samsung is about to realise that this will quickly backfire as France & Germany are both part of the Eurozone, and the same rules apply.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Are all these intellectual property battles due to the general decline of the world wide economy, and this is the path to profit? Is this the legal divisions in these companies becoming profit centers? Are these driven by ego? Or is this the new marketing scheme, destroy the competition from entering the game at all. What ever happens to cross licensing?

I mean, what AI has to do now is create a new section just for legal battles. Its kinda boring stuff to read. I mean Corporate legal battles are protracted and dull, and to me, add little to the interest of the site.

I suggest a new sister site: Law and Order : Cupertino ( Follow this with the startup chime sound)

Where billion dollar corporations slag at other billion dollar corporation in East Texas, land of the indigenous patent savvy juror
  • Reply 3 of 31
    The ban in the Netherlands was only for imports from outside the EU zone into the Netherlands. The Netherlands functions as the distribution center for Europe. If samsung change the distribution center to France the phones can be imported there and distributed throughout Europe.

Even the German ban only goes for the direct import into Germany from outside the EU. Shops can sell existing stock and restock from a European distributor as long as it not directly from Samsumg.

One of the catches of having open boarders within the EU.

My reading of it anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Even the German ban only goes for the direct import into Germany from outside the EU. Shops can sell existing stock and restock from a European distributor as long as it not directly from Samsumg.

As long as people keep repeating this, I'll keep repeating:

WHAT SELF-RESPECTING RETAILER IS GOING TO IMPORT A BANNED PRODUCT NO ONE WAS BUYING ANYWAY?!
  • Reply 5 of 31
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

Samsung is about to realise that this will quickly backfire as France & Germany are both part of the Eurozone, and the same rules apply.

The Netherlands, France and Germany are all part of the Eurozone which simply means they use the Euro as a common currency.

They are still separate countries with their own laws, the same rules do not apply, otherwise how can you buy Samsung Tabs in France when it's banned in Germany?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Both companys have cash to go at this a long time.

http://www.ameinfo.com/273386.html

So far, it appears Apple is winning(on lawsuit front). But its only a slim lead (in law suit sense).

IMO, Samsung has a much more global presence than Apple. Apple is/was playing catch up to the likes of Booberry, Nokiasoft, Samsung and HTC. HTC and Samsung ie android has a 'similar style(Im being kind, not looking for a war in this thread)' OS compared to iOS (which kicked the smart phone market in to high gear). So 'anything' Apple can do to slow down the 'near' competitors is a win.

Its an economic war out there folks... glad to see Apple is not taking it lying down. Wish other american companies had the cash and/or cajones to do the same.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Both companys have cash to go at this a long time.

http://www.ameinfo.com/273386.html

So far, it appears Apple is winning(on lawsuit front). But its only a slim lead (in law suit sense).

IMO, Samsung has a much more global presence than Apple. Apple is/was playing catch up to the likes of Booberry, Nokiasoft, Samsung and HTC. HTC and Samsung ie android has a 'similar style(Im being kind, not looking for a war in this thread)' OS compared to iOS (which kicked the smart phone market in to high gear). So 'anything' Apple can do to slow down the 'near' competitors is a win.

Its an economic war out there folks... glad to see Apple is not taking it lying down. Wish other american companies had the cash and/or cajones to do the same.

Agreed but France worries me a bit. They are often not too adverse to sticking it to English speaking counties given half a chance. Just ask the UK Navy about HMS Sheffield.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    I love this show. The suspense is killing me. Hope it will last.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As long as people keep repeating this, I'll keep repeating:

WHAT SELF-RESPECTING RETAILER IS GOING TO IMPORT A BANNED PRODUCT NO ONE WAS BUYING ANYWAY?!

How very true.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    If Apple wants to live by the lawsuit, they have to expect to die by the lawsuit.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I think that I will sue apple for making shiny screens on their iDevices. I had owned a glass window that was smooth and shiny like the screen of an iPad.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    I really hope that the upcoming Apple TV is triangular, thick and has orange border, wavy surface, power button on the back in order to avoid lawsuits.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

But this lawsuit in France is for a fundamentally different aspect of the devices. It has nothing to do with look-and-feel (the basis of the German lawsuit). The lawsuit in France is based upon patented technological processes.

It is not inconceivable (however it is quite unlikely) that Samsung could be independently successful in pursuing its claims in France, and Apple could be independently successful in pursuing its claims in the Netherlands, and the net result would be that both sides won, and yet neither side actually got what it wanted -- BOTH APPLE AND SAMSUNG could end up permanently banned from selling either of their brands of smartphones in Europe.

What a beautifully screwed up world we live in.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    ^ That is what mutual destruction is all about.

Ultimately it hurts Apple more so than Samsung as Samsung doesn't rely as heavily on its mobile division as Apple does on its I products.

So if both go all the way, Apple has more to lose.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    So, the question is: Who cares if Pepe la Pew can't buy an iWhatever in France? If he wants one, he'll hop across the channel and get one there. Meanwhile, in non Anglo-hating countries, we all keep buying our iDevices, and be very happy about it. I don't see the problem. ;P
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

But this lawsuit in France is for a fundamentally different aspect of the devices. It has nothing to do with look-and-feel (the basis of the German lawsuit). The lawsuit in France is based upon patented technological processes.

It is not inconceivable (however it is quite unlikely) that Samsung could be independently successful in pursuing its claims in France, and Apple could be independently successful in pursuing its claims in the Netherlands, and the net result would be that both sides won, and yet neither side actually got what it wanted -- BOTH APPLE AND SAMSUNG could end up permanently banned from selling either of their brands of smartphones in Europe.

What a beautifully screwed up world we live in.

I doubt the iPhone or iPad would EVER be banned, considering the education sector has stocks of them.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

^ That is what mutual destruction is all about.

Ultimately it hurts Apple more so than Samsung as Samsung doesn't rely as heavily on its mobile division as Apple does on its I products.

So if both go all the way, Apple has more to lose.

...and Samsung's 7 billion in annual sales of parts to Apple?
  • Reply 18 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...and Samsung's 7 billion in annual sales of parts to Apple?

Not exactly a one way street. The iPhone is 25% Samsung, and completely replacing them with equally reliable components from "elsewhere" won't be easy.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    I found an interesting article about Community Design. It is a long read, but worth have a look. (beware I am not a fanboy)

http://www.osnews.com/story/25056/Th..._USPTO_Was_Bad

Click the print icon at the end of the article, so that you could see images with article.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Are all these intellectual property battles due to the general decline of the world wide economy, and this is the path to profit? Is this the legal divisions in these companies becoming profit centers?

Companies lacking success in other areas begin to focus on monetizing their "intellectual property" asetts. Nothing to do with the economy... it is more like chasing ambulances. Eventually the MAD should bring about some level of patent reform, or countries that don't respect others' IP laws will become the innovators.