'Unprecedented' demand for Apple's iPhone 5 exceeds iPhone 4 hype

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    [QUOTE=Oflife;1940925]I have commented on this sort of survey before, but it proves once again that SOME people will purely buy on brand alone, without knowing anything about the product. If the actual specs for the iPhone 5 had been released by Apple, then this would be understandable, but if I was Apple or any other vendor for that matter, I would be frankly embarrassed if people were so obsessed with me or my brand, they would buy anything I produced.]

After many months of reading the threads I've finally decided to comment myself!

Whilst I will be getting an Apple phone in the next couple months to replace my trusty but ageing 3GS (which my 19 yr old daughter is very much looking forward to having), it may or may not be the 'iPhone 5'. The iPhone 4 would currently fit the bill with overall design, quality of screen, battery life, the ability to reuse my existing apps and the peace of mind of using the app store all being known quantities, but once the iPhone 5 is announced, if it offers something that really appeals to me, I may go for that over the 4 instead.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 as my work phone and comparing it to my 3GS, I know which I prefer overall. There are some things which the Galaxy does better eg notifications (which I will be so glad to see fixed in iOS 5) but the Galaxy is a little too big as a phone for my liking, the screen doesn't seem as accurate to use, it's build is rather plasticky and I just find Gingerbread rather garish. All highly subjective things but that's my view. The first handset being DOA did not inspire confidence either.

I will often state a preference buy brands I know and trust, be it for socks, food or electronics. If however they don't have what I want at the time, I will go elsewhere. I'm sure that will be the same for many of these people.
  • Reply 102 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

That's great. I'm in that boat too. Apple still needs to work to push that number farther north, including a renewed push to appeal to the younger crowds which are increasingly interested in Android devices - which are now considered the devices with the 'cool' factor.

Nah, not cool but c h e a p.

Apple/Mac customers have always been the more sensible and minted type.
  • Reply 103 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fazworld View Post

you can't just take out the sim card and put it into another phone. in fact, the 3GS doesn't have a removable sim card.

Funny that, my brother, his wife and I were comparing the sim cards in their 3GS iPhones to the one in my 3G iPhone just a few hours ago. Theirs came out pretty easily for 'not being removable'.
  • Reply 104 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's a complete falsehood.

It's too early for this? Do you seriously believe that HTC guy?

He just forgot to add "younger, *nerdier, lifeless* crowds"
  • Reply 105 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

iphone + case + activation is $300 for low end one. and apple is always changing the design just a little so you can't share cases between generations

I must be seriously rough on my phone then... I've gone thru at least 3 cases with my 2 year old 3GS, so honestly being able to share cases from phone to phone is not an issue for me. In fact, my current case is slightly broken but I'm making due since I intend to get the new iPhone once it's out and that will obviously necessitate a new case.
  • Reply 106 of 108
    Thanks everyone for the enlightening discussion around the SIM card. If I would have known that before it would have saved some mini battles with the wife. Her old school, 4 year old ATT slider phone died a couple weeks ago and she wanted to go out and get an iPhone 4 but I told her to hold off until the 5 is released since it's so close. I have an original iPhone that my 3 year old son uses without the phone service that we could have been using the whole time! Since giving her my 3GS and now using my work's crappy BB Torch as my primary device, I can now see why BB is headed south and Apple is only heading higher.
  • Reply 107 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

ACK!

The products are really exciting people who don't even know who Steve Jobs is.

Thompson

Right on. Include me in on that camp. Honestly had no clue who Steve Jobs was. Was given an iPhone 4 at work (I am in IT) and absolutely fell in love with it. Still amazed by it after nearly a year of using it. About six months after using the iPhone, Steve Jobs passed away and unfortunately that was when I found out about the man.
  • Reply 108 of 108
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nergock View Post

Right on. Include me in on that camp. Honestly had no clue who Steve Jobs was. Was given an iPhone 4 at work (I am in IT) and absolutely fell in love with it. Still amazed by it after nearly a year of using it. About six months after using the iPhone, Steve Jobs passed away and unfortunately that was when I found out about the man.

Your in IT and didn't know who Steve Jobs was, read much? Oh and welcome to Appleinsider.