VMware launches Fusion 4 with 90 new features including Lion support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
VMware on Wednesday announced the new VMware Fusion 4 virtualization software for running Windows on a Mac, packing more than 90 new features including a design built specifically for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

VMware Fusion 4 is available now for a promotional price of $49.99, and is optimized for today's multi-core Macs, as well as the newly released Lion operating system, VMware said.

"Enhancements to VMware Fusion 4 make it a breeze to run Windows and Mac applications side by side on a Mac," said Pat Lee, director, client product management, VMware. "Offering full integration into Apple OS X Lion, VMware Fusion 4 builds on our proven, award winning platform to provide an easy, fast and reliable way to run Windows applications on a Mac."

Key features in VMware Fusion 4, as highlighted by VMware on Wednesday, include:

Built for OS X Lion - The company said VMware Fusion 4 is designed to provide the best Windows experience on OS X Lion. Users can add Windows programs to Launchpad, experience them in Mission Control, view them in full screen or switch between them using Mac gestures.

Better Performance and Faster Graphics - VMware Fusion 4 is said to have been engineered to run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side with incredible speed and reliability. As a 64-bit Cocoa application, it is optimized for today's multi-core Macs and reportedly delivers 3D graphics up to 2.5-times faster than previous versions of Fusion.

Even More "Mac-like" Experience - VMware Fusion 4 enhances the way Windows programs run on a Mac. From the brand new settings menu to the redesigned virtual machine library and snapshot menu, users are said to have even more Mac-like experiences when running Windows programs.

Lion Squared - VMware Fusion 4 now supports OS X Lion in a virtual machine, allowing users to run OS X Lion, OS X Lion Server, Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server and Mac OS X Leopard Server in virtual machines.

VMware also touted the migration assistant of VMware Fusion 4, which it said makes it easy for users to transfer their entire PC to a Mac. This allows users to access Windows programs and files from their PC directly on their Mac.

Availability and Pricing

VMware Fusion 4 is available until the end of the year for a promotional price of only $49.99. The suggested retail price for VMware Fusion 4 is $79.99. Customers who have purchased VMware Fusion 3 on or after July 20, 2011 are eligible for an electronic upgrade to VMware Fusion 4 at no additional cost. Volume pricing for corporate users is available from select resellers and vmware.com/vmwarestore/.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57

What is up with the 1:1 aspect ratio in the window?
  • Reply 2 of 57
    Sweet. Tried Fusion 3 on Lion and had nothing but trouble. Sticking with Snow Leopard on 2nd machine to run it. Also my Quark 7 will NOT run on Lion but does on SL. But may run Lion now as a VM and have everything.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    I don't think I am going to be updating to 4. 3.1.3 works great for me in Lion.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Fusion 4 doesn't support real Lion full screen mode.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Fusion 4 was going to be a definite purchase for me, but now I'm not sure. No expansion in Linux support, no upgrade pricing, and no academic discount. $50 for a minor upgrade so it plays nicer with Lion is a bit steep.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Fusion 4 was going to be a definite purchase for me, but now I'm not sure. No expansion in Linux support, no upgrade pricing, and no academic discount. $50 for a minor upgrade so it plays nicer with Lion is a bit steep.

This.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    I hope VMWare doesn't go the way of Parallels and start to ridiculously bloat their software in a futile attempt to force Windows and Mac to "feel" like one, and I'm not talking about about Unity. The reason I like VMWare is because I can use a Windows OS and a Mac OS as separate stable OSes.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:

It's cheaper than Parallels, though.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    removed
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:

Why do you think it doesn't allow a vm for Linux? I run Ubuntu, and all the possible Mac OSs as well as XP, Vista and 7. Why not visit the VMWare web site and see for yourself?
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

It's cheaper than Parallels, though.

If you already have VMware Fusion, you can switch to Parallels 7 for less than to upgrade to VMware Fusion 4. Switching to Parallels 7 will cost 29.99 versus the upgrade to VMware Fusion 4 which is 49.99. I am not sure what I will be doing yet...

Here's the link: http://www.parallels.com/ca/products...p/vmwareoffer/
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

What is up with the 1:1 aspect ratio in the window?

Total the choice of the write of the article. You can make the VM screen any size and obviously full, screen too. However in Lion VM there are some possible limitations. I am running the dev beta so I better upgrade to the full version to check that out. Free trial is here for anyone interested: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kadaj View Post

If you already have VMware fusion 4, you can switch to Parallels 7 for less than to upgrade to VMware fusion 4. Switching to Parallels 7 will cost 29.99 versus the upgrade to Fusion 4 which is 49.99. I am not sure what I will be doing yet...

That is some pretty stupid marketing isn't it?
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Wonder if there's a way to fool it into running Tiger Server (and thus Classic)?
  • Reply 14 of 57
    VMWare Fusion v3.1.3 runs smoothly and without issue, on my and another known, Lion 10.7.1 installation.

It is a bit of a CPU hog so I would consider v4 after I read some reviews, to see if the "64bit support", "Better Performance and Faster Graphics", amount to something tangible.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kadaj View Post

If you already have VMware Fusion, you can switch to Parallels 7 for less than to upgrade to VMware Fusion 4. Switching to Parallels 7 will cost 29.99 versus the upgrade to VMware Fusion 4 which is 49.99. I am not sure what I will be doing yet...

Something to consider, Parallels or VMWare is almost always included in those seasonal $49 Mac bundles by MacHeist, MacUpdate, and the like.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Wonder if there's a way to fool it into running Tiger Server (and thus Classic)?

No I doubt it as it would require emulation of PPC.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    VMware Fusion 3 ran fine on Lion but upgraded to 4 today. Only use it for testing software and accessing a windows only remote support tool but it does the job. Have run server 2008 R2 vm and multiple xp/win 7 vm side by side without issue on my 16GB iMac when trying to replicate a networking fault a customer was having. Ran faster than my 17" win7 laptop
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Sweet. Tried Fusion 3 on Lion and had nothing but trouble. Sticking with Snow Leopard on 2nd machine to run it. Also my Quark 7 will NOT run on Lion but does on SL. But may run Lion now as a VM and have everything.

Been using Fusion 3 on Lion for weeks, no issues whatsoever.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I hope VMWare doesn't go the way of Parallels and start to ridiculously bloat their software in a futile attempt to force Windows and Mac to "feel" like one, and I'm not talking about about Unity. The reason I like VMWare is because I can use a Windows OS and a Mac OS as separate stable OSes.

Just turn off those features then, or use VirtualBox...it's free.