IDC: Apple's iPad 2 took market share from Android tablets in Q2 2011

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

Maybe Android manufacturers will come up with something usable with ICS. Current Honeycomb tablets, sadly, are nothing to write home about.

Perhaps Android tablets just need a boost. If they dropped the price of Honeycomb tablets to, say, $49.95 I would get one. If the manufacturer threw in a paltry sum - say $400 or so, I would be persuaded to be seen using it in public places adorned in full Mac fanboi attire.

Currently the android tablets I've seen in the wild mostly are in the Costco "returns" line.

Call it grassroots advertising.

Or they can continue to let inventory collect dust. Their call.

Samsung, Motorola, have your people call mine. We'll do lunch.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    Quote:

The research firm also predicted that close to a million HP TouchPads will be shipped before the end of the year, giving the webOS platform a 4.7 percent share in the third quarter of 2011. Sales of the TouchPad skyrocketed after HP discontinued the device, and consumers flocked to the $99 fire sale price HP adopted to clear out its remaining inventory.

Mmmm...

It appears that one of the best ways to get into the tablet market -- is to get out of the tablet market!

• Reply 23 of 103
    These are just ANDROID SHIPMENTS!!!!
  • Reply 24 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm...

It appears that one of the best ways to get into the tablet market -- is to get out of the tablet market!

"The only thing worse than not being in the tablet market is being in the tablet market." --Oscar Wilde/Monty Python.
  • Reply 25 of 103
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It would be interesting to see which one does the largest amount of actual work and what that percentage of work actually is versus laptops and desktops.

Do you mean "work work" or "usage?" My kids and wife use her iPad some number of hours each day. Some of that is Web browsing that they would do on a laptop if they didn't have the iPad, but much of it is for activities that wouldn't have been done or wouldn't have been done on a computer. Almost none of it is "work." Personally, I rarely use (or get to use) the iPad since the always-with-me iPhone plus MacBook Air combination better suits my needs.
  • Reply 26 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

Maybe Android manufacturers will come up with something usable with ICS. Current Honeycomb tablets, sadly, are nothing to write home about.

They all use the same hardware (Tegra) and are pretty much the Windows Commodity laptop equivalent of the tablet world.

Plus they are buggy out the arse. Not just the tablets.

Boss at work got an Asus Transformer. It does everything from turning itself on (when its been powered off as well) to crashing, freezing and just generally being a nuisance.

Brother loves his android tab, real die hard fan. His tablet crashes, freezes, is buggy and so forth - and he's very bad at covering it up too.

Cousins phone is crap, coworkers phone is crap, bosses wifes is on her third handset! The list goes on.

Hell, my mum got a HTC Wildfire S, and she is on her second handset now. it freezes all the time, even after updates and it HATES the bluetooth in her car - it either works or it doesn't (depending if its in a good mood or not). She's openly said "Ben, I will buy you an iPhone 5 for xmas if you give me your iPhone 4". Hey, at least one good thing has come out of Android, I get a free iPhone 5
  • Reply 27 of 103
    shipped....

I thought we'd long since dispensed with that will-o-the-wisp.
  • Reply 28 of 103
    Live in NYC and walk like most New Yorkers to get from here to there. I have never seen anyone in a park, cafe, coffee spot, or anywhere outside of Best Buy even holding another tablet. Who on earth is suppose to be buying these things? Then again I may have confused the Samsung tablet with an iPad...
  • Reply 29 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

I work in the IT department of a large (30k student) university, and for administrative and enterprise functions, we are mostly still a Microsoft shop. However, when it comes to tablets and laptops, Apple is making HUGE inroads, even among the MS shills and hangers-on in the department (who are all toting around iPads).

Besides the few Android tablets and the BB Playbook we received for testing and support purposes, I have neither seen nor heard of a single non-iPad tablet device in use by either IT staff or any of our clients. For that matter, even walking around campus and seeing hundreds of students on a daily basis, I have yet to see ANYTHING else but iPads in the "wild."

OK, OK, I do know a guy that bought an HP Touchpad for $65, but he only uses it to run Ubuntu.

I'll add to this. I fly frequently for business (nearly every week) so I'm in a lot of airports and am usually upgraded to the first class cabin. You usually see a lot of technology in the first class cabin. I knew that Kindles had hit it big when in January 2010 I saw a lot of them just after the Christmas holiday (and even more in January 2011). Later that spring I started seeing iPads, then bought my own in June and now iPads are on nearly every flight I take. Also on the rise in first class cabins: Macbooks. Five years ago, I think I was the only one breaking their Mac out on airplanes. Now I see tons of them on the plane and in the airport.

Last week after months of looking, I finally saw my first Android tablet on a flight. The guy next to me had a Motorola Xoom. He was a Verizon engineer and got it at a discount so it's not like he was a typical business traveler that made a purchase decision without any incentives. So right now, the only Android I see when I travel is phones. Tablets are still as rare as a July snow in Dallas.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Oh, BTW... Media Tablets? MEDIA TABLETS???????

My thought exactly. Surely we have gotten over this 'for media consumption only' thing? I never understood that whole thing, anyway. It was like people felt a need to make excuses.
  • Reply 31 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The iPad has only 68% of the tablet market? 95% is a much more accurate estimate.

No. You would be amaze by the amount of cheap 7" android 2.2 ou 3.0 tablets that sells. If we could segment the tablet market, maybe Apple has a 95% market share on the $500+ high end tablets. But the tablet market is more than that.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Live in NYC and walk like most New Yorkers to get from here to there. I have never seen anyone in a park, cafe, coffee spot, or anywhere outside of Best Buy even holding another tablet. Who on earth is suppose to be buying these things? Then again I may have confused the Samsung tablet with an iPad...

Same in Montreal, I see post on the net of people buying android or RIM tablets but I have NEVER seen anything else than ipads in public areas. And on the subject, Apple have like what: 5% market share of laptops? and at least 50% of all the laptops I see in coffee shops everywhere I go in the world are Macs...

There are 2 colleges in downtown Montreal and if you get into there public areas, again, I see macbooks all over the place, something like 80% of all the laptops.
  • Reply 33 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

No. You would be amaze by the amount of cheap 7" android 2.2 ou 3.0 tablets that sells. If we could segment the tablet market, maybe Apple has a 95% market share on the $500+ high end tablets. But the tablet market is more than that.

iPad 1's are selling for less than $500.
  • Reply 34 of 103
    I live in an upper middle class area in SE Virginia. I see a lot of tablets in use. I have yet to see a single non-iPad. As an iPad user myself, I'm fairly sensitive to what others might be carrying, particularly since I'm curious to see how the other half (...5%) live. Never seen a single one.

Must be one heckuva lot of shelf space being wasted somewhere!
  • Reply 35 of 103
    Maybe we should start a "spotters" club, similar to bird or aircraft watchers. We could report when we spot an elusive touchpad in the wild. Report the usage habits of the wild "Tab". Claim glory by spotting the first wild Win8 tablet! (Personally, I believe they only exist in myth and legend...)

Thoughts?
  • Reply 36 of 103
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    it is pretty easy to take away market share when your largest competitor (Samsung) is not even allowed to sell their tablet......
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Other tablet makers have until Apple releases a 2048x1536 iPad to capture a decent share of the market or I don't think this will solidify into another iPod-like market for Apple.

What about super-duper-rubadub pen tile AMOLED???? I mean, if you're going to turn it into a spec sheet war...
  • Reply 38 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

it is pretty easy to take away market share when your largest competitor (Samsung) is not even allowed to sell their tablet......

You're overestimating Samsung's sales if you think that.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    Maybe the numbers of sold tablets could be estimated by looking at the number of tablets activated on cell carriers.

Or perhaps the number of web browser hits on sites could be identified by tablet type.

Has anyone seen these numbers? They would of course have their own biases like sprint would not be expected to activate many ipads.

These type of metrics mght actually measure the relative shipped vs sold numbers.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmm...

Just think of the share they could get if they liquidated all other assets and continued building (and reinvesting that pittance they get for the pads till its gone too) and keep selling at $99 (is there an educational discount?). Probably get big for a while but sense these are not subsidized like phones and they were selling well below cost the stockholders might have a small problem with that.

You see the real game is to sell a fantastic product that people line up for and meets their needs, has a very reasonable price and the company makes a profit. Wait a minute, isn't that the trick to any successful business?