Google upped its bid for Motorola by $3B in one day to close deal

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In order to secure its purchase of Motorola and the company's collection of patents, Google outbid itself by 33 percent, or $3 billion, in a single day to reach an agreement.

Google's aggressive strategy to acquire Motorola was revealed in filings made with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission this week. In detailing Google's bidding strategy, The Wall Street Journal noted that the extra $3 billion paid "underscores the pressure the search giant was under to beef up its patent portfolio and protect its promising Android smartphone franchise from a growing number of legal challenges."

Google initially offered $30 per share on Aug. 1, but Motorola rejected the offer and suggested a price of $43.50. Then on Aug. 9, Google offered $37 a share, while Motorola asked for $40.50.

On that same day, Google again upped its bid to $40 per share, increasing its standing offer by $10 per share in a single day. On Aug. 15, Motorola agreed to Google's offer, and a sale price of $12.5 billion was formally announced.

Google's massive bid increase came in spite of the fact that the search company was the only party in talks with Motorola. The maker of phones like the Droid Bionic and Atrix 4G, both of which compete with Apple's iPhone, opted to negotiate exclusively with Google.

According to the Journal, Motorola's board decided that talking only with Google would be advantageous, because a public auction wasn't expected to result in a higher price, while a failure to sell would be "highly detrimental" to the company.

Speaking out on the deal, Google Chief Executive Larry Page said in August that he feels "anticompetitive" patent litigation on the parts of Apple and Microsoft deemed the proposed purchase of Motorola necessary. The Google-Motorola deal must still be granted regulatory approval before it can be finalized.

The acquisition of Motorola gives Google some 17,000 issued and 7,500 filed patents, which some believe will give the search company more leverage in the lawsuit-saturated Android landscape. A number of those lawsuits are between Motorola and Apple, with each accusing the other of patent infringement.

Just days after the Google-Motorola deal was announced, Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer commented on it with: "$12.5 billion is a lot of money." Apple, in its history, has not engaged in the type of blockbuster acquisitions taken on by Google, and none of Apple's purchases have crossed even a half-billion dollars.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    Google sees it is in big trouble and made a desperate move to ward off or at least ease the tsunami of law suits coming its way. Time will tell if the money was well spent or a rash decision. The Droid OEMs may be getting the picture that they should unhitched their wagons from the google horse before any advantage a "free" OS offered them will soon be worthless.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    So, they bought a loss-making also-ran that had already sold all truly valuable patents earlier for $12.5 billion to obtain the remaining patents (which several experts consider useless), just hours after a lot of public whining how the evil Apple and their accomplices destroyed free innoborrowvation for a fraction of the cost?

The more I digest it, the more the Brothers Rimm look like geniuses.

Now, if you report tomorrow, that the true story was really that they had Page on one and Brin on the other phone and they were outbidding each other... I'll buy it.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Speaking out on the deal, Google Chief Executive Larry Page said in August that he feels "anticompetitive" patent litigation on the parts of Apple and Microsoft deemed the proposed purchase of Motorola necessary.

"we're not evil, it's just that you guys are making us that way."

sure, larry, sure.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    What a waste of money.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    Makes you wonder what type of due diligence Google did for a $12.5 billion purchase. My guess is not much and they have little idea of the type or quality of patents they are getting.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    Sounds extremely desperate and like Larry entered negotiations without any game plan or financial discipline. That's not leadership.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Why did they up their offer so much on the same day? Seems very odd.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    If they had bounced from 9B to 12B it would be a 33% increase. They went from 9.5 to 12.5 tho, which is 31.58%. Yes that's nitpicky of me and I'm comfortable w/that
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple, in its history, has not engaged in the type of blockbuster acquisitions taken on by Google, and none of Apple's purchases have crossed even a half-billion dollars.

Apple contributed $2.6 Billion to the Nortel patent purchase. I think that's more than half a billion ;-)
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Had Google said no, 37$ is our last offer, Motorola could of go and make the offer public, even if they did not think they could get better.

Google losing another bid would not have looked good... and it's one of the last large patent portfolio left. They might give Android free to HTC, Samsung, but it's not free if they got to pay royalties.

I would not dare accuse Apple of anything in here, simply stating facts that the patent model is deficient. If I were Apple, I would also sue anything that nearly looks like my products, if i had that much chances to win or settle. But since i am a consumer, i can only take the hit and fork up more money on products to pay those lawyers and royalties.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

Apple contributed $2.6 Billion to the Nortel patent purchase. I think that's more than half a billion ;-)

By acquisition they mean buying a running company. They've purchased lots of items for more than the half billion AI is quoting. Acquisitions can be very tricky. Purchasing items on the other hand is pretty straight forward.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    Am I the only one thinking that Apple should buy Yahoo, revamp it, and stick it to Google.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    I think that if we could just impose a "read Florian Mueller's blog before commenting on anything related to Android" policy we could avoid wasting bandwidth commenting on AI "articles" about it.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    "According to the Journal, Motorola's board decided that talking only with Google would be advantageous, because a public auction wasn't expected to result in a higher price, while a failure to sell would be "highly detrimental" to the company."

Hmmmm...

Let me get this straight.

1. MotoMobile only talks to Google.

2. Motomobile determines that it will be highly detrimental to the company if they don't sell.

3. Google still outbids itself by 33 1/3% even though it looks as if the cards are stacked in their favor.

Am I missing something?!
  • Reply 15 of 68
    FOR GOD'S SAKE, HEAVEN SAKE AND ALL OF YOU (YES, CAPITALS) Lets be clear....

Mr Page never bought Moto for the patents, its patents are mainly useless since they never were able to reinforce them.

Google bought Moto, BECAUSE Moto was beginning to sue every single droid manufacturer, and..., Google could not afford to have the development AND expansion of Android derailed by Moto, considering that Google has (had) not valid patents, or very little of its own, to defend it. Therefore to avoid any cataclysm Google bought Moto for only that reason. Mr Page is a cynic when referring to noncompetitive monopoly of Microsoft and Apple. Apple is NOT using any of the bought patents to litigate..., only their own IP.

Funny that many Android manufacturer are paying Microsoft royalties...... indeed !!
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

"According to the Journal, Motorola's board decided that talking only with Google would be advantageous, because a public auction wasn't expected to result in a higher price, while a failure to sell would be "highly detrimental" to the company."

Hmmmm...

Let me get this straight.

1. MotoMobile only talks to Google.

2. Motomobile determines that it will be highly detrimental to the company if they don't sell.

3. Google still outbids itself by 33 1/3% even though it looks as if the cards are stacked in their favor.

Am I missing something?!

Yes. MMI came to Google and said "buy us or we will destroy Android." Google said "um, ok" and made the offer that they thought was necessary to prevent Android's death. The SEC report was written after the fact in such a way as to head off MMI shareholder lawsuits about the sale.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Yes. MMI came to Google and said "buy us or we will destroy Android." Google said "um, ok" and made the offer that they thought was necessary to prevent Android's death. The SEC report was written after the fact in such a way as to head off MMI shareholder lawsuits about the sale.

Source.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenzo View Post

Am I the only one thinking that Apple should buy Yahoo, revamp it, and stick to Google.

You mean "stick it to Google."

First, Apple would never buy Yahoo. They don't believe in wasting money like that. And, the desktop search business is not interesting to them. They have iAds, but we don't know how successful they are compared to others like Google's AdMob.

Second, my guess is that Apple believes Android will not be much of a competitor in the long run.

Still, you make a good point (I think) that Google is able to spend (or waste) money because of its position in desktop search. If that comes under attack, Google will sink fast.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Source.

FOSS patents
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jukes View Post

FOSS patents

Oh give me a break.

This is an op-ed piece. Mueller has so many "possiblys" and "could haves" in that article that you can see it is a made up piece of bunk. I honestly wonder sometimes if Florian and Daniel are the same two people.

Apple is not afraid of the MotoMobile patents... even your man Florian said as much... so does that mean that Google is so stupid as to believe that they have to buy MotoMobile to save Android.

Threats my ass.

Show me a passage in the filing that uses the word "threat" and then I'll agree with you.

[on edit: Motomobile is such a small piece of the Android pie. Google had to worry about the reaction from the big guns, Samsung, HTC and LG, if they bought MMI. The MMI patnts weren't going to protect Google... Apple already proved that.]