Microsoft to jettison Adobe Flash with 'plug-in free' browsing in Windows 8 Metro IE10

Comments

• Reply 81 of 119
    appendTo, the company dedicated to jQuery, the world’s most popular JavaScript Library, released data today showing that the percentage of websites that have jQuery deployed has officially surpassed the percentage of websites that have Adobe Flash deployed. Statistics compiled by HTTP Archive (http://httparchive.org), which analyze the world’s top 17,000 websites, show that 48 percent of the sites use jQuery, while 47 percent use Flash.

jQuery Overtakes Flash on World’s Top Websites
  • Reply 82 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I don't think they have been mum. I believe they have made it crystal clear is that METRO is part of Windows 8 but will not be standalone. True, some have questioned the feasibility of this. And I agree with the doubters. IPad uses 512MB of RAM. Windows 8 will need ≥ 4GB. That does not sound like a tablet that can compete with iPad on price.

This is what they are being coy about:
    When asked if users would be able to choose between the Metro UI and the desktop as the default bootup option, a Microsoft spokeswoman said that the company has nothing more to share at this time. But she advised keeping an eye out for the "Building Windows 8" blog and Microsoft's upcoming Build developers conference for "more to come."
  • Reply 83 of 119
    Another thought, does Metro natively support WebM?
  • Reply 84 of 119
    What Adobe says:

"We will continue to support Flash [blah blah blah] full Internet."

What Adobe thinks:

"What a freakin' relief. The sooner we can stop supporting that big ugly mess of Flash spaghetti code the better. SHEESH."
  • Reply 85 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8Core**** View Post

I'm really proud that MS is finally getting it. Good on them.

Agreed, and very impressed with what I've seen in Windows 8. Chances of me switching to a MS product are pretty slim but I certainly welcome them giving Apple a run for their money. Serious competition equals a win for consumers.
  • Reply 86 of 119
    It's the sound of a million Fandroids crying out in their parents' basements...
  • Reply 87 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rollerborges View Post

It's the sound of a million Fandroids crying out in their parents' basements...

over what? the fact that we can still use flash on demand and when it dies our browser and Google are still fully committed to HTML 5 so we won't miss a step and in the interim we had the option to view Flash content on the web regardless?

not really anything to cry about...at all...considering that flash is a separate download anyways.
  • Reply 88 of 119
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    This is article is misleading. They aren't ditching Flash. They are ditching plug-ins. Flash being dismissed is an effect of that decision. A good effect. But a side-effect nonetheless.
  • Reply 89 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

over what? the fact that we can still use flash on demand and when it dies our browser and Google are still fully committed to HTML 5 so we won't miss a step and in the interim we had the option to view Flash content on the web regardless?

not really anything to cry about...at all...considering that flash is a separate download anyways.

Agreed. I thought Google's approach was the correct middle path. They supported Flash, but they've also been pushing HTML 5 hard.

I find that I still use Flash on my phone. Not that often. But there are occassions when you need it (a lot of restaurant websites for example still use Flash). I'll be happy when the world moves on to HTML 5. Till then, not being able to access websites is just plain annoying.
  • Reply 90 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I use ClicktoFlash on my Mac. Very rarely does it actually play Flash video. Most everyone offers pure H.264 stream.

And Flash on Android often works the same way if you set the browser plug-in setting to "on demand".
  • Reply 91 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Agreed. I thought Google's approach was the correct middle path. They supported Flash, but they've also been pushing HTML 5 hard.

I find that I still use Flash on my phone. Not that often. But there are occassions when you need it (a lot of restaurant websites for example still use Flash). I'll be happy when the world moves on to HTML 5. Till then, not being able to access websites is just plain annoying.

exactly. All or nothing for a plug-in makes no sense...killing CDs/DVDs/FloppyDisks makes sense by going all out, but when it comes to software while there is no fully viable alternative...it makes no sense.
  • Reply 92 of 119
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The reason Flash is being abandoned is for the exact same reasons previous technology was abandoned. If it is continued to be supported many people will continue to use it regardless to if their is something newer and better.

The reason HTML 5 has had such successful adoption is largely because of the success of iOS and its support of HTML5. Otherwise most everyone would just continue try to prop Flash up and make it work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

exactly. All or nothing for a plug-in makes no sense...killing CDs/DVDs/FloppyDisks makes sense by going all out, but when it comes to software while there is no fully viable alternative...it makes no sense.

• Reply 93 of 119
    I wonder if this decision means MS is abandoning Silverlight. Or are some plug-ins less of a plug-in than others?
  • Reply 94 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Yet another nail in Flash's coffin!

But, but, but... I'm ENTITLED to decide to put Flash on any device I own! Flash is a web standard! How dare Apple and now Microsoft deny me freedom of choice!

Its a conspiracy to control the web!! It's a ... Oooh!! Unicorn!!!!

</sarcasm>

The fact that you needed to convey that your comment was sarcastic reveals much about the intelligence level around here as well as your own.
  • Reply 95 of 119
    Nobody seems to be mentioning the obvious: Flash has always run extremely well in the Windows environment.

This article is just mindless Apple fanboy nonsense, trying to make it sound as though MS had Flash in it's crosshairs. That's not the case.

See, the difference between Apple and Google and MS is Google and MS actually got Flash to run well on two different platforms that Apple seems to try to convince people would be impossible to do.

Steve Jobs said it was impossible to run it on a mobile OS. He said it would be a battery drain. The reality is it runs fine in Android, and it doesn't drain the battery much faster than streaming any video content.

Another smash hit piece from Apple Inside-me
  • Reply 96 of 119
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Silverlight is being folded into the Metro development tools.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I wonder if this decision means MS is abandoning Silverlight. Or are some plug-ins less of a plug-in than others?

• Reply 97 of 119
    **accidentally posted
  • Reply 98 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

So if another Android fan comes along and brags about flash, we now have quotes and testimonies from both Microsoft and Apple on how s**t it actually is. Good day to be right. B)

Good day to be right?

Your willful ignorance amuses me

Unlike OSX, Flash runs great in Windows, and just fine in Android. Microsoft is doing away with ALL plug-ins, not just Flash. Your desperate need to feel right about something has let you actually believe they are out to destroy Flash alone, not even acknowledging MS has their own product Silverlight, which is a plug-in.

You guys just wanted so bad for Steve Jobs not to turn out to be a sleazy salesman selling you nonsense, but sadly, even Jobs needed to sell his company's product and make you feel confident that a lack of something was a good thing, and that you never actually wanted it all along.
  • Reply 99 of 119
    So very happy to hear this one!

I cringe every time I run into a new site based on Flash. I want to see this thing decline fast.

I really look forward to the day I can finally remove it from my computer.

I tried eliminating it a few months ago, but the number of sites that gave me trouble over it was too frustrating to continue, and I reinstalled it.
  • Reply 100 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Silverlight is being folded into the Metro development tools.

Let's hope Adobe doesn't cry to MS and somehow keep Flash in full swing with this route