AT&T's 4G LTE network to launch in first 5 markets on Sunday

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
This coming Sunday, Sept. 18, AT&T will launch its high-speed fourth-generation LTE network in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

The first five markets will be closely followed by another 10, totaling 15, scheduled to have access to the long-term evolution data network by the end of 2011, AT&T Chief Financial Officer John Stephens said in a media appearance this week, according to Fierce Wireless. In all, a U.S. population of 70 million people will have access to the LTE network by year's end.

That means AT&T is on schedule with its plans announced in May of this year. The remaining 10 markets that will gain LTE access this year have not yet been announced.

AT&T began selling its first two LTE devices in August in the form of a 4G USB modem and a mobile hotspot both made by Sierra Wireless. The company also recently launched an LTE tablet, the HTC Jetstream, for $700 with a two-year contract, and plans to launch its first LTE smartphone by the end of 2011.

AT&T has said that it will charge $50 for 5 gigabytes of data on a data-only LTE device, with real-world download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps, much faster than the company's current HSPA network. Smartphone data pricing for 4G has not yet been announced.

Rival carrier Verizon, currently the only other company to offer the iPhone in the U.S., already launched its own 4G LTE network in late 2010. Verizon also has a handful of Android-powered handsets that are 4G-capable, but Apple has suggested that it will not be quick to build an LTE device.

Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said this April that his company is still concerned with poor battery life associated with the first 4G devices. He indicated Apple is in no rush to adopt 4G, though there has been ample, unofficial evidence that Apple is exploring the technology for adoption in a future iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Wow so exciting. Faster speed for the rare times the damn service actually works.

Seriously, it has gotten worse in the North East.

Where is the damn iphone 5 so I can switch to verizon!?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Gee, I see a lot of light blue (EDGE) on that map. If this is "virtually 100%" AT&T does some strange math.

That said, I hope that they've got SoCal completely covered with LTE by the time Apple ships an LTE iPhone. Until then, it matters not one whit to me.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Hopefully iPhone 6 has LTE.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I'm paying $30 a month for 6GB of data on my iPhone (Rogers in Canada) and I barely use 3G. Usually always on a Wifi network, so I applaud Apple for taking its time.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Hopefully iPhone 6 has LTE.

Hopefully meaningful LTE networks and data plans that are either optional or fair exist by then.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hopefully meaningful LTE networks and data plans that are either optional or fair exist by then.

Good luck with that. Remember, it's the carrier's job to make sure you get either screwed or squeezed for every last penny you're willing to put up with. Hence why the T-Mobile merger should be cock-blocked.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I am much more interested in a dedicated hotspot (esp. if it's 4G).

An internet hotspot device which allows access for your phone, tablet, ereader, and spouse/kids devices as well is looking like it's worth the monthly.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Apparently someone at AT&T really likes Texas.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Uh, AT&T is headquartered in Dallas.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

Apparently someone at AT&T really likes Texas.

Well they ARE a Texas company. :-)

Seeing the much-improved battery life on the Droid Bionic with the 'mystery' Motorla baseband, I am hoping that Apple has also been able to solve the LTE battery life issues in time to launch this next iPhone with LTE.

While I realize LTE is not available eberywere yet, it is expected that both AT&T and Verizon are goin to have an accelerated build out compared to 3G, which means there will be quite a lot of LTE markets comin online during the next iPhone's service life. I hope I hope.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Uh, AT&T is headquartered in Dallas.

And Apple is headquartered in Cupertino, but residents of Santa Clara county don't get iPhone 5s before other markets (unless they find one in a bar, zing!). Just because they're headquartered there doesn't necessarily mean it makes the best strategic, political, or even logistical sense to launch products/services there.

But, then again, I suppose I was just being snarky.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

I am much more interested in a dedicated hotspot (esp. if it's 4G).

An internet hotspot device which allows access for your phone, tablet, ereader, and spouse/kids devices as well is looking like it's worth the monthly.

Verizon's hot spot works quite well
  • Reply 13 of 19
    When AT&T is planning to have about only 15 LTE markets available by the end of this year; and Verizon has already more than doubled that with 38 LTE markets at the end of 2010, it shows me and others just how lame AT&T's efforts are in deploying their 4G LTE network. Their patheticness even shows with them trying to justify eliminating their GSM competitor T-Mobile by taking them over with their merger. Get on the ball AT&T!! We will not be seeing a future iPhone with complete 4G LTE capability until at least iPhone 6 with your tortoise slow deployment rate. Although it's been confirmed by cNet that the Qualcomm Gobi MDM 6600 chipset, the one that's being used in the Verizon iPhone 4 and will be used for iPhone 5, does have some LTE capability, all of us would like to see both a 4G LTE nationwide network on every carrier and a 4G LTE iPhone that runs on it {both voice and data wise}.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

And Apple is headquartered in Cupertino, but residents of Santa Clara county don't get iPhone 5s before other markets (unless they find one in a bar, zing!). Just because they're headquartered there doesn't necessarily mean it makes the best strategic, political, or even logistical sense to launch products/services there.

But, then again, I suppose I was just being snarky.

Yeah... Actually ATT does have a history of launching services in Texas. It also makes a LOT of sense when you consider that TX has I believe 2 of the top 10 population centers in the country being Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth.

Another comment about all of the light blue on the coverage map indicating EDGE... ATT reports there coverage not based upon geographic area, but on population covered. This is the reason that they can claim such a high percentage but have loads of geography that has no coverage. Similarly this is the same reason it takes such a long time to roll out new technologies like LTE. The US is a BIG place compared to say the UK, or France, or Germany...
  • Reply 15 of 19
    When AT&T is planning to have about only 15 LTE markets available by the end of this year; and Verizon has already more than doubled that with 38 LTE markets at the end of 2010, it shows me and others just how lame AT&T's efforts are in deploying their 4G LTE network. Their patheticness even shows with them trying to justify eliminating their GSM competitor T-Mobile by taking them over with their merger. Get on the ball AT&T!! We will not be seeing a future iPhone with complete 4G LTE capability until at least iPhone 6 with your tortoise slow deployment rate. Although it's been confirmed by cNet that the Qualcomm Gobi MDM 6600 chipset, the one that's being used in the Verizon iPhone 4 and will be used for iPhone 5, does have some LTE capability, all of us would like to see both a 4G LTE nationwide network on every carrier and a 4G LTE iPhone that runs on it {both voice and data wise}.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Apple won't include LTE in the next iPhone for 3 reasons.

1) Battery draining issues still not resolved

2) LTE still not fully deployed enough to warrant it.

3) Most important reason is not including LTE now will give you a far greater reason to get an LTE enabled iPhone 6 next year if that is important to you.

Apple has consistently done that with other features on previous iPhone models, the iPad and their Mac line. They always seem to leave one thing off we think they should add. The first iPad could have easily included a front and rear facing camera for example. The first iPhone could have included 3G. They always add just enough new stuff to get you to buy, but leave one thing out to get you to upgrade next year. Classic Apple strategy.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Probably true, but you could always, as suggested, buy the iPad with only wifi and buy a

mobile hot spot---

Works fine for me
  • Reply 18 of 19
    how can LTE be developing much faster than the availability of faster internet in my neighborhood? I hate my cities decisions...
  • Reply 19 of 19
    LTE is expensive---at this time it's not going to replace cable internet for speed and price, but it is

relatively fast, not as fast as a good cable modem but much faster than EDGE or 3G---

It is a adjunct to cable, not a substitute--it works great when traveling if it is available, but as I said

it is expensive relative to cable internet.