RIM ships 10.6 million BlackBerry phones, just 200,000 PlayBooks

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Research in Motion reported disappointing earnings for its most recent quarter, announcing that profits has slipped 47 percent while it shipped just 10.6 million smartphones only 200,000 PlayBook tablets.

The Canadian smartphone maker was expected to ship 11 to 12 million BlackBerry phones and between 400,000 and 600,000 PlayBooks, putting its actual figures into dismal territory.

RIM also spent much of its cash, ending the quarter with just $1.4 billion after entering it with $2.9 billion. The company contributed $780 million toward the purchase of Nortel patents, acting in the consortium that included also Apple, Microsoft and Sony.

In contrast, Apple sold 20.34 million iPhones and 9.25 million iPads its its most recent quarter, although the two company's fiscal quarters cover slightly different periods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Playbook ...

cancel it. You've lost RIM
  • Reply 2 of 47
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    What a disaster. However, instead of replacing the clueless two running the company we will see more layoffs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Playbook ...

cancel it. You've lost RIM

Agreed. They have wasted time developing this POS. They should have spent that time on BB OS.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    I smell another $99 liquidation sale for the blackJunk playbroke !
  • Reply 4 of 47
    If they shipped 200,000, then I wonder how many they actually sold. We saw this with Samsung too. Posting of shipping numbers, but leaving out all the ones not sold or even returned.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpeedShift View Post

Big difference is the playbook needs a BB for critical functionality. I was interested in a $99 TouchPad but not so much a $99 Playbook.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    How about a new Acronym for RIM ?

I was thinking RIP...
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:

We can only hope. I missed the HP fire sale.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beeDevil View Post

If they shipped 200,000, then I wonder how many they actually sold. We saw this with Samsung too. Posting of shipping numbers, but leaving out all the ones not sold or even returned.

Playbooks on their own were recalled here although they continued to sell (slowly) as part of a bundle with a 9780 Bold.

RIM's executives must be insane to release a product which doesn't support it's strongest selling point i.e. BIS and BES email integration.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Without a Blackberry to link it to it's a doorstop.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What a disaster. However, instead of replacing the clueless two running the company we will see more layoffs.

Agreed. They have wasted time developing this POS. They should have spent that time on BB OS.

Gotta agree with your whole post. Everyday I see RIM devs and they tend to just look so dejected these days. They used to have sort of a swagger, now they all look like condemned prisoners. The co-CEOs need to step down, especially Balsillaie.

Why they felt the need to burn resources on a tablet instead of investing that same amount into shoring up and advancing BB I'll never understand. They need to go back and watch that video of Jobs soon after his return to Apple. The one where be emphasizes the importance of being able to say 'no'. RIM doesn't seem to know how to say no.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

its its most recent quarter

Classic AI !!

If HP taught us anything, I would imagine that no matter what RIM has committed to buying 600k units. So if a firesale did occur, they would sell the part of the 200k that is in stock, and later the other 400k being built.

I was lucky enough to get one Touchpad for $150, and in a week or two I'll try to get another from hp.com, once it goes on sale a second time. If RIM sold a playbook for $99 I'm not sure I'd buy it. 7" is awfully small !!!

And before you guys burn me for buying HP... I own a 15" macbook pro, I have an iphone 4, will get iphone 5 next month and I can program in objective-c.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Even using my wildest imagination, I see end of the tunnel for RIM. Perhaps it can extend its longevity by becoming a service oriented/software company (providing enterprise mobile services and applications for other mobile devices) while phasing out Blackberry phones in markets where demand is shrinking rapidly.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] profits has slipped 47 percent [...]

oh no! has they? has they really?

that's some good work, ai. keep up the quality.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beeDevil View Post

All companies report sales as "shipments" since they earn revenue there. Sell-through are sales by the retailer. ST is only important when it's out of balance because it will affect future sales (shipments) RIM can't sell anymore to retailers until they can sell to consumers. My take RIM didn't ship any meaningful amount to initial launch partners. That 200K shipments were all into new markets.

RIMM Shipped 500K in 5 weeks of Q1 and only 200K in 13 weeks of Q2.

RIMM said price cuts are coming to help sell through. If it doesn't pick up, shipments could go to zero.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    In a related story, the price slashing has already begun:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnet.com

RIM Co-Chief Executive Mike Lazaridis said the company would start up several programs to drive PlayBook sales, including an incentive program for businesses, as well as rebates and deals to deals for existing BlackBerry customers. Lazaridis didn't spell out how much of a discount the company would be offering.

The good news is that when RIM upgrades the PlayBook 2.0 software next month it'll actually come with built-in e-mail, calendar and contact software.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-201...rry-playbooks/
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Another one bites the dust. Hey hey!

200,000? I think apple still sells that many iPads in a day, if not more?

The egos of the RIM CEOs will drive that company down the tubes.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    RIM's board has to push the panic button immediately. the two CEO's will be out by end of October.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Actually, I was mildly shocked they sold half the amount of phones Apple did. I thought the disparity would be much greater. Until they can ship a tablet that is not BB dependent the Playbook is DOA. Even then it would only be a niche player in the tablet space for the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedshift View Post

i smell another $99 liquidation sale for the blackjunk playbroke !

$49.99
  • Reply 20 of 47
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    With that tiny screen I don't think the playbook will sell for $99. Maybe $49.99 as Island Hermit suggests.

The question now is who will buy RIM? All they have left is IP. Everything else they own is dead or dying.