Back-to-school Mac sales outpace PCs even without white MacBook, free iPod touch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    I hope students don't get screwed over too badly without a disc drive (probably buying MacBook Air's nowadays), now that the MacBook is gone. I think the Air is the future, no optical, but I just hope that doesn't surprise any students if they need to run disc software for some classes (I did). The whole external disc drive is OK, but who wants that laying around? Anyway, very happy that Apple is doing great with the students, once again. I think it was a great idea getting rid of the MacBook and just sticking with Air and Pro notebooks. I'm looking forward to MacBook Pro's getting redesigned liked the Air's look, with the bevel look, and possibly less the SuperDrive standard, and having it custom order/optional for the SuperDrive. Then Apple could custom order Pro notebooks with dual SSD/HDD. I know you can buy a kit and do it yourself, but really, once Apple adopts it, thats the way to go.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

I hope students don't get screwed over too badly without a disc drive (probably buying MacBook Air's nowadays), now that the MacBook is gone. I think the Air is the future, no optical, but I just hope that doesn't surprise any students if they need to run disc software for some classes (I did). The whole external disc drive is OK, but who wants that laying around? Anyway, very happy that Apple is doing great with the students, once again. I think it was a great idea getting rid of the MacBook and just sticking with Air and Pro notebooks. I'm looking forward to MacBook Pro's getting redesigned liked the Air's look, with the bevel look, and possibly less the SuperDrive standard, and having it custom order/optional for the SuperDrive. Then Apple could custom order Pro notebooks with dual SSD/HDD. I know you can buy a kit and do it yourself, but really, once Apple adopts it, thats the way to go.

It's easy to share a CD/DVD drive over the wifi network anyways so I doubt it's going to be much of an issue for students that have wifi access and friends with computers with DVD drives.

DVD content is so passé nowadays. Give it to me if it's research stuff that doesn't need to clog my drive but for delivering small content it's somewhat of a waste.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Apple grew much faster than the Windows notebook market did," he said.

The headline is misleading...Sure Apples rate of growth is faster than that of Windows but Windows is still 90 percent of the market so to say that mac sales outpace PC sales just based on the rate of changte is kindof misleading.

</reality check> I'm thirsty, where can an Apple fan get some Koolaid?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Too bad the low end Mac laptop can no longer be upgraded. Yes, yes, you can replace the internal storage, but the permanent limit on the RAM just makes me shake my head.

While the old white Macbook might be passe...at least you could upgrade it to 8GB of RAM.

what would you expect from the company that wont let you swap the damn battery on a cell phone?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

The headline is misleading...Sure Apples rate of growth is faster than that of Windows but Windows is still 90 percent of the market so to say that mac sales outpace PC sales just based on the rate of changte is kindof misleading.

I've never really believed that 90% of the market is Windows. Where do these stats come from and how are they tabulated?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I've never really believed that 90% of the market is Windows. Where do these stats come from and how are they tabulated?

Particularly since it isn't in the U.S. (13% Mac), Switzerland (15% Mac), and several other countries that represent most computer sales.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Particularly since it isn't in the U.S. (13% Mac), Switzerland (15% Mac), and several other countries that represent most computer sales.

I've always wondered how they account for sales of motherboards and other white box product. The assumption could be that Windows is the default OS but plenty of people are happy running Linux and other OS on standard Intel hardware.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

It's not misleading because Apple has almost a 12% marketshare in the US these days. How did that happen? Well, it was down to 2.8% 6 or 7 years ago, but those market leading sales increases you're dismissing was responsible for bringing it up to the present level. If they continue, then we will see about 13% by 2012, and possibly 14% by the beginning of 2013. That's how it works.

And it's Apple's sales growth that's being spoken of.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The Pro is certainly not the best value in the lineup, until it has an SSD! That performance can be felt by anyone.

An 11? Air with extra RAM and/or storage (depending on your needs) plus a cheap 22? or so external display is an awesome value. Knowing you can probably add a hardcore gaming GPU via Thunderbolt some day is the icing on the cake! (For me.)
  • Reply 30 of 31
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

The Pro is certainly not the best value in the lineup, until it has an SSD! That performance can be felt by anyone.

An 11? Air with extra RAM and/or storage (depending on your needs) plus a cheap 22? or so external display is an awesome value. Knowing you can probably add a hardcore gaming GPU via Thunderbolt some day is the icing on the cake! (For me.)

You can add an SSD to any MBP. Plus lid open resume time on my 2011MBP is so fast I don't see the black screen at all. As the lid lifts the screen is already on and ready to use (well about 90% of the time, sometimes there is a delay for reasons I don't quite understand).
  • Reply 31 of 31
    I wonder if this will shut all the Mac haters up?