NYT: Apple 'just weeks away' from announcing 'fairly different' iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrooksT View Post

Wow. Awesome parody of the tinfoil hat types. Almost thought you were serious for a second. Nice work!

He is.
  • Reply 22 of 70
  • Reply 23 of 70
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

If the new iPhone doesn't have a larger screen, who would be disappointed?

I think I would -

As long as the pixel density doesn't decrease. I'd prefer the iP4 screen over a larger screen, if that was the trade off.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kennybouy View Post

Get a load of this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzsBw...feature=relmfu

I'll say that whoever made this is really talented. As for the phone design, even if something that thin were possible, I wouldn't want it. It would feel like holding a sharp pane of glass. You could probably just as easily shave with it.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Yea, Global Warming scam artist Al Gore probably wants NFC/RFID to enable carbon taxes payable to his company. Why Apple has this snake oil salesman on its board is beyond me.

NO NFC/RFID SPYCHIPS!

iPhone:

I don't yet have one, but I want one. The iPhone 4 has many plusses, but I expect it to go sour or sweet in the next iteration. Bigger is possibly better for people who don't use anything but cars. I think Americans will love a bigger device, and possibly Koreans as I see a lot of large devices on the train.

However, I don't see the same lure of large devices in Japan, Canada, or Europe. I don't know South America, Africa, or South Asia, or Australia for that matter. But, as soon as a device cannot fit comfortably in a pair of non-baggy jeans, it is off the buy list for me, not matter that it is easier to text.

I want small, powerful, and graceful, and the new breed of Android devices that car-driving people prefer, is way, way too big.

unrelated mishmash from an internet people with a chip on his shoulder: Not sure how your pertains at all to the iPhone 5. If you wanted to ruffle Foxconn's feathers, or Apple's on the design, or its partners, all power to you, friend, but where does Al Gore and carbon taxes, and American politics even blend into this article.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    "just weeks away" means "more than 13 days, at least". Forget about a september announcement/early october lauch
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

"just weeks away" means "more than 13 days, at least". Forget about a september announcement/early october lauch

First, 15 + 13 = 28, which is still inside September…

Second, they know absolutely nothing about when it actually is. They come here, read what we say, and write stories and get paid for it.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Disinformation. The iPhone 4S will have faster processor, more memory. That is all.

yes, iPhone 4S will be what you think it is. Of course iPhone 5 will be altogether different!
  • Reply 29 of 70
    My month:

Retired my iPhone 3GS.

Bought an iPhone 4 16GB online. Loved it.

Needed Gall Bladder surgery. Sold iPhone 4.

Bought new 32GB iPhone with contract renewal.

Regained sanity and took phone back for refund.

Now waiting until the iPhone 5 comes out.

If the iPhone 5 isn't fantastic, I will just bring my 3GS out of retirement for another year.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kennybouy View Post

Get a load of this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzsBw...feature=relmfu

Wow... Now that was a really great mock up video. However, I would be terrified to hold a device that thin. It looked completely fragile, and I'd be afraid to put the thing in my pocket. Personally, I don't think the phone needs to be much thinner at all, but I liked everything else about the mock up.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Can I have a job reporting the obvious at the NYT?
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

iPhone:

I don't yet have one, but I want one. The iPhone 4 has many plusses, but I expect it to go sour or sweet in the next iteration. Bigger is possibly better for people who don't use anything but cars. I think Americans will love a bigger device, and possibly Koreans as I see a lot of large devices on the train.

However, I don't see the same lure of large devices in Japan, Canada, or Europe. I don't know South America, Africa, or South Asia, or Australia for that matter. But, as soon as a device cannot fit comfortably in a pair of non-baggy jeans, it is off the buy list for me, not matter that it is easier to text.

I want small, powerful, and graceful, and the new breed of Android devices that car-driving people prefer, is way, way too big.

unrelated mishmash from an internet people with a chip on his shoulder: Not sure how your pertains at all to the iPhone 5. If you wanted to ruffle Foxconn's feathers, or Apple's on the design, or its partners, all power to you, friend, but where does Al Gore and carbon taxes, and American politics even blend into this article.

About the same as linking driving cars to liking big phones and certain nationalities.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

First, 15 + 13 = 28, which is still inside September…

Yeah, technically tou're right, but can't quite see a 28 announcement AND it being released in the first half of October.

Quote:

Second, they know absolutely nothing about when it actually is. They come here, read what we say, and write stories and get paid for it.

I should have added "IF true, it sucks".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Incorrect. There's a lot of wasted screen real estate space on the current iPhone 4's form factor. They could make the screen slightly larger without increasing the phone size.

That is arguable. There's also a lot of "wasted real estate" in most books' pages and in almost every website designed after 1991 But it actually serves a purpose, I believe.

My two concerns about the (rumored) "new design" of the iPhone:

1) Decreased PPI - OR - Pixel incompatibility with existing apps.

2) Loss of symmetry in landscape mode.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Heis sources within Apple

Typo parade continues -- What are Heis sources? Oh, his sources.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    if the purported features of the upcoming iPhone are to believed, i may actually upgrade from a 3GS much sooner than expected (i.e., my contract expires in June 2012 at which point i plan to make the upgrade).
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

If the new iPhone doesn't have a larger screen, who would be disappointed?

I think I would -

I would be very disappointed. The rumored slight increase to 3.7 inches would also be a let down.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Why does Apple have soooo much cash in the bank?

Because Jobs has created a system of advertising based on rumour. Millions and millions worth of publicity every week based on rumours. How many, if any, of these romours are started at Apple is something we will never know. Regardless, the secrecy of new products makes people speculate. And speculation leads to rumour and rumour re apple leads to publicity. All this builds to massive media attention leadingup to, including and following the release of a product.

OK, big sales also contribute but the brilliant marketing strategy of not really marketing is a huge money saver and drives apple penetration with new products.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Why does Apple have soooo much cash in the bank?

Because Jobs has created a system of advertising based on rumour. Millions and millions worth of publicity every week based on rumours. How many, if any, of these romours are started at Apple is something we will never know. Regardless, the secrecy of new products makes people speculate. And speculation leads to rumour and rumour re apple leads to publicity. All this builds to massive media attention leadingup to, including and following the release of a product.

OK, big sales also contribute but the brilliant marketing strategy of not really marketing is a huge money saver and drives apple penetration with new products.

Here's a tin foil hat, mate. --> ._|-|_

Apple dont want this stuff released, because it can impact sales. In fact the sales of the 3GS dropped off the cliff when the iPhone 4 was announced. So they would be unhappy that a non-technical main stream outfit has reported this, as it might now impact sales.

As for Apple having so much cash - it is because they sell lots of stuff.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

First, 15 + 13 = 28, which is still inside September?

I am pretty sure that is exactly not how the New York Times works. Some technical blogs, maybe. When a "paper of record" like the NYT prints something it

1) Has a source within the company, or organisation.

2) Is convinced of the bonafides of that source.

With some exceptions, of course ( Mr Blair). The NYT is careful about it's rep as a source of information, not as a link farm.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Of course the iPhone 5 will look 'fairly different' from the iPhone 4. Does anybody think that Apple took all this extra time to merely release the same looking phone?