Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    sell their patents

buy nintendo

develop games for ios
  • Reply 22 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    There were too many right decisions made with the iPad that other manufacturers haven't made: form factor, price, build quality, software distribution, core OS features and design, hardware architecture.

Apple pretty much nailed every single one and if a competitor so much as slips up on any one point, like picking a bad screen size, having poor battery life, having a sluggish UI, having a cooling fan, being too expensive, having a bad OS or developer APIs - it's game over.

The funniest part I find is how everyone has gotten so used to PC manufacturers being cheaper than Apple that they disapprove of tablets when they are more expensive than iPads and Apple's competitors can do nothing about it.

iOS devices just seem like someone has sat in a room for over 25 years and thought of every wrong way to handle personal computing and discarded them, then combined it with vast experience in manufacturing and hardware design. Nobody has ever really been able to do that before and everyone seems to have followed a fairly common rulebook. This time, Apple has defined this entire direction and the phrase I saw posted on the forum a while ago is very true: talent is hitting a target no one else can hit, genius is hitting a target no one else can see.

Now that Apple has defined this direction for personal computing, their competitors are trying to hit a target Apple built and are falling short.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Actually, I was mildly shocked they sold half the amount of phones Apple did. I thought the disparity would be much greater. Until they can ship a tablet that is not BB dependent the Playbook is DOA. Even then it would only be a niche player in the tablet space for the foreseeable future.

I was shocked that Apple sold almost as many iPads as RIM sold Blackberry phones !!!
  • Reply 24 of 47
    A couple of days ago, AI et al were commenting on IDC's funny projections and someone predicted RIM has 6 quarters before bankruptcy?
  • Reply 25 of 47
    First Nortel, now it looks like RIM is going down (not for the same reasons mind you).

While the fall of Nortel was due to greed and "cooking the books", it looks like RIM is not evolving fast enough. QNX is their last gasp.

my guess is we will see their BBM / BBE being licensed cross platform on iOS and Android soon.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    I really didn't believe Steve Jobs when he came on the conference call months ago and said, "We've passed RIM, and we don't see them catching up". I thought it was just some ballsy RDF-speak typical of Steve. Yet again Steve is proven correct. Some people may not be happy with Steve, but you can imagine for Steve, it must be hella annoying to go decades having to prove people wrong all the time, over and over again. Sure, he's been proven wrong himself, but for the most part, the "big things" (Lion, MacBook Air, iOS, iPad, Flash, RIM predictions) have gone Steve's way.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

A couple of days ago, AI et al were commenting on IDC's funny projections and someone predicted RIM has 6 quarters before bankruptcy?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

Another Canadian tech giant to fall?

First Nortel, now it looks like RIM is going down (not for the same reasons mind you).

While the fall of Nortel was due to greed and "cooking the books", it looks like RIM is not evolving fast enough. QNX is their last gasp.

my guess is we will see their BBM / BBE being licensed cross platform on iOS and Android soon.

I think the Canadian government is already looking in their coffers deciding how much to throw at RIM to try and keep it alive. I've said many times before if it was an American company it would be carved up like a turkey by now, leaving just entrails behind.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The funniest part I find is how everyone has gotten so used to PC manufacturers being cheaper than Apple that they disapprove of tablets when they are more expensive than iPads and Apple's competitors can do nothing about it.

Karma's a bitch, ain't it?
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

sell their patents

buy nintendo

develop games for ios

MARIO KAAAAAAAAART for iOS PLEEEEASEEEE!!!!

More seriously though, releasing all the new and old Zelda, Mario, Pokemans and what not for iOS will probably make more profit for Nintendo than the 3DS. Just waiting for the day when Nintendo realises their game IP is worth way more than portable handheld consoles. I can hold out... hopefully Nintendo won't wait too long.

They have some pretty decent titles and some of the best titles for kids too. Plus which 20, 30 or 40-something iOS owner doesn't have a soft spot for anything Nintendo. The brand value of Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and Donkey Kong surely by now far exceeds any plastic gaming device... even if it has "3D".
  • Reply 30 of 47
    RIM died over a year ago. What we are hearing now is the thud, as the body hits the floor.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

while it shipped just 10.6 million smartphones only 200,000 PlayBook tablets.

In contrast, Apple sold 20.34 million iPhones and 9.25 million iPads its its most recent quarter, although the two company's fiscal quarters cover slightly different periods.

Three typos in a short post:

should be "10.6 million smartphones and only 200,000 PlayBook tablets"

its its

plural possessive should be companies'

Really, is anyone home??
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Looking like some employees might lose their RIMjobs
  • Reply 33 of 47
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There were too many right decisions made with the iPad that other manufacturers haven't made: form factor, price, build quality, software distribution, core OS features and design, hardware architecture.

Apple pretty much nailed every single one and if a competitor so much as slips up on any one point, like picking a bad screen size, having poor battery life, having a sluggish UI, having a cooling fan, being too expensive, having a bad OS or developer APIs - it's game over.

iOS devices just seem like someone has sat in a room for over 25 years and thought of every wrong way to handle personal computing and discarded them, then combined it with vast experience in manufacturing and hardware design. Nobody has ever really been able to do that before and everyone seems to have followed a fairly common rulebook. This time, Apple has defined this entire direction and the phrase I saw posted on the forum a while ago is very true: talent is hitting a target no one else can hit, genius is hitting a target no one else can see.

Now that Apple has defined this direction for personal computing, their competitors are trying to hit a target Apple built and are falling short.

I think one of the key successes to the iPad that you hint at but don't state explicitly is having an already large, highly compatible software library available on day 1. There may not have been that many iPad apps at the beginning, but there were a megaton of iPhone apps and they were all compatible. Having that huge, free, useful software library available from the getgo is something nobody else has been able to do.

Some of them are doing this completely wrong, like the Playbook, where there is almost no ecosystem in the beginning. People will naturally wonder when shelling out $500, what do I use it for?

Android kinda had this, but they didn't have the compatibility, depth or usefulness of the App Store. They're the closest ones to having some kind of ecosystem, but it just doesn't compare.

All of those things are important that you mention, but its really all about the apps. The device is nothing without apps. iOS has more apps than anyone knows what to do with. This is the only kind of choice I think that is relevant to consumers, having the immense app library on tap makes the iPad far more functional than any of its competitors, despite whatever hardware or ports they may put into theirs, or what they might price it at, etc etc.

The only way anyone can possibly beat Apple at this point is to beat their ecosystem. I just don't see that happening. And with MS firmly establishing that Win8 tablets won't have backwards compatiblity with Windows apps, that there won't be any ecosystem or library to draw from, I think that was the last possiblity of someone actually creating competition for Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    I can't believe RIM had the nerve to charge the same price for the Playbook as the iPad...

No wonder no one bought it...

• Reply 35 of 47
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think the Canadian government is already looking in their coffers deciding how much to throw at RIM to try and keep it alive. I've said many times before if it was an American company it would be carved up like a turkey by now, leaving just entrails behind.

Do you mean like GM, Chrysler and many of the major US financial institutions?

philip
  • Reply 36 of 47
    PlayBook has nothing, absolutely nothing going for it to even warrant it a good deal at $99. They cannot even pull an HP let alone an Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    RIM can subtract another 1K plus Blackberry phones, as my company is going to the iPhone in 2012. The typical Blackberry is way too limited to do much of anything. The screen is tiny, the browser sucks, and if you want to develop any in-house applications, the Blackberry just doesn't do well with drop down menus. Blackberry phones also freeze ALL the time. Very annoying. It really is a dead platform that RIM waited entirely too long to update. I wonder how many of these Blackberry's 'sold' were just refurb requests from companies where someone's current BB had bit the dust. That happens to us a lot as well.

And to invest in a tablet platform that is based on this outdated technology is just idiotic. Goodbye RIM. Was a good run in the 90's.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Do you mean like GM, Chrysler and many of the major US financial institutions?

philip

Touché...
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I can't believe RIM had the nerve to charge the same price for the Playbook as the iPad...

No wonder no one bought it...

Especially with that horrible Yellow screen...
  • Reply 40 of 47
    But... but... The iPhone is insecure! Hard to manage! Hard to deploy! Prone to glass cracking... and... and... it's insecure, right?!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

RIM can subtract another 1K plus Blackberry phones, as my company is going to the iPhone in 2012. The typical Blackberry is way too limited to do much of anything. The screen is tiny, the browser sucks, and if you want to develop any in-house applications, the Blackberry just doesn't do well with drop down menus. Blackberry phones also freeze ALL the time. Very annoying. It really is a dead platform that RIM waited entirely too long to update. I wonder how many of these Blackberry's 'sold' were just refurb requests from companies where someone's current BB had bit the dust. That happens to us a lot as well.

And to invest in a tablet platform that is based on this outdated technology is just idiotic. Goodbye RIM. Was a good run in the 90's.