Apple seen in 'no rush' to release iPad 3 as competitors struggle

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I realize this is just a rumor but if I were Apple I'd wait too. More time to widen the gap by incorporating new concepts and better hardware as technology accelerates making these things available.

Bingo.

Keep the 3 ready to ramp into production but still add new goodies if/when possible in the production chain. The next "iPad killer" announcement could be mooted with a quick announcement of the iPad 3. Apple would drink their milkshake.

An analyst had a good comment after RIM's dismal earnings call "There isn't a tablet market, there is an iPad market."
  • Reply 22 of 95
    I said it before. Apple will surely keep both the iPad and iPhone on at least a 18-24 month refresh cycle.

They will have to many customers, and way to many phones and pads to produce to keep it a yearly cycle.

They really don't have any competition that could catch up to them as far as what counts. MONEY.

Sure Android, Microsoft, etc.. will continue to make great efforts. But no way can they innovate like Apple. They will continue to struggle.

It is not a matter of chips and 4G, LTE, or most of the things the rest of these guys will figure out.

'Moving Puck'. They are still trying to figure out iPad 2. Apple is now working on iPad 4. Scary for this imitators.

The one that has sort of figured it out is Jeff Bezos. How great an idea was it for him to get

just one version off Android (all needed) and develop a Pad that will enhance his companies selling fortunes. Add to that the ability to see movies, listen to music. Everything is for sale.

He is the only one so far that has a vision rhat will work, not compete with Apple.

It was a liberating feeling, when S. Jobs stated "We have to let go of this Apple, Microsoft argument. Microsoft won a long time ago.".

That freed up Apple to concentrate on the one and only, most important thing. Do the best possible product possible.

Now look at the techno landscape.

S. Jobs mantra probably was, "It's my way or the highway."

J. Bezos' probably is, "where there is a will, there is a way."

Right now Bezos is probably the defacto top CEO as far as all the tech kings. Kudos to him.

But. As such even Amazon is no competition for Apple.

That will be the case for at least 5 years or more.

That deserves at least a pat on the back.
  • Reply 23 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camper View Post

When Microsoft's Internet Explorer was the overwhelming market leader, Microsoft sat on its laurels and didn't improve IE for a long while. IE and its users suffered.

Is Apple going to let the iPad atrophy just because it has no competition, or will Apple continue to provide improvements to its customers?

It's going to take a while before it atrophies. it's Apple, they stick to their schedule. Right now they are maximizing profit by increasing efficiencies of scale. That profit will then go into R+D to fund iPad 5 or whichever one they are working on now.
  • Reply 24 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Microsoft has already said Windows 8 tablets will be Arm and that current software will not run on Windows 8 tablets..

So many inaccuracies in so few words...
  • Reply 25 of 95
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

...and this is why competition is so important. Without it, any company would do what Apple's doing: the bare minimum to keep raking it in.

Yeah, it's appalling that Apple has only revolutionized the portable MP3 player, cell phone and tablet markets in the last few years and led the way in encouraging Intel to try to create competition in the 'ultra book' market. Too bad Apple never does anything unless someone else does it first....
  • Reply 26 of 95
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

An "amazon tablet" can hardly be considered "Android" when it lacks the Android Marketplace and tight integration of Google's services. That's the risk google took with open-sourcing android.

The whole idea behind android is to keep the door open to consumers so Google can deliver search results. They gave away the OS on smartphones and it worked - 50% marketshare. But it's not working on tablets. What happens when Windows 8 and iOS become the two major tablet platforms, and Apple suddenly switches the default search engine to Bing or Yahoo, and starts providing their own Maps service? Trouble in Mountain View.

If Windows 8 takes off, you really think Apple would make Bing it's default search and maps provider? That's like free advertising for your competitor's products and services. That and I doubt MS would ever pay Apple (like Google does) to be the default service provider on iOS. And all that is aside from the user experience qualms Apple has, namely that Bing sucks and is particularly atrocious outside the US. If they default to Bing outside the US, just watch the dissatisfaction as users start complaining about how the search engine and maps suck on the iPhone. Google maps is now good enough for Bentley and Audi to use in their cars. Is Bing anywhere close?

As for Amazon not being Android, that remains to be seen. We'll see if it's a fork like what Baidu is doing or its just an Amazon skin without Google apps. If it's the latter, it'll very much remain Android and I strongly suspect that Google will quickly make all their apps available in the Amazon App Store. And don't forget, with Android, you can install apps from outside your native app store if you choose to.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    Quote:

When Microsoft's Internet Explorer was the overwhelming market leader, Microsoft sat on its laurels and didn't improve IE for a long while. IE and its users suffered.

Three characters for you: DOJ

Now of course this all changed in June.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    Quote:

Is Apple going to let the iPad atrophy just because it has no competition, or will Apple continue to provide improvements to its customers?

Actually, Apple has done a fine job at moving the shrinking PMP market to their iPod touch, now the top selling iPod model.

Apple sells approximately 2 iPod touches for every three iPhones. The demographic of the iPod touch is 13-24 year olds, whereas the iPhone is 25-49. As Steve mentioned, the iPod touch is training wheels for the iPhone and these kids with iPod touches will eventually graduate from school, get jobs, and switch to the iPhone.

PMP manufacturers like iRiver and Sansa really have nowhere to go as when their users switch to smartphones.
  • Reply 29 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yeah, it's appalling that Apple has only revolutionized the portable MP3 player, cell phone and tablet markets in the last few years and led the way in encouraging Intel to try to create competition in the 'ultra book' market. Too bad Apple never does anything unless someone else does it first....

Hey. I didn't say that. Apple is a phenomenally innovative company. However, I strongly suspect that like all companies they would pick higher profits over increased iterative product innovation if given the opportunity. I really do believe that the iPhone 4 would really have been the iPhone 5 if Apple didn't have Android breathing down its neck.

Just look at the leaps from iPhone to iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS. None of them compare to the leap to iPhone 4 from the 3GS, imho. And I strongly suspect that has something to do with the iPhone facing a more competitive market.
  • Reply 30 of 95
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, they're in no rush to release the iPad 3. That means they'll release the iPad 2S sometime this fall. Maybe even at the same time as the iPhone 4S! I'm so excited!

Now just wait until someone takes the bait?

Mysterious comment. I hope you're right.

But about what?
  • Reply 31 of 95
    Totally agree... I have the iPad 1 and 2. They're amazing. I would like to buy an Android tablet, but there is nothing out there that appeals to me yet. I was hoping Amazon would come out with something amazing, but that's not going to happen. Apple should hold off on the iPad 3 if the iPad 2 is still selling well. Still wish there was a 7 inch iPad. Will likely get the Galaxy Tab 7.7
  • Reply 32 of 95
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

So many inaccuracies in so few words...

Do you have a reference for that, and could you clarify what you mean, especially since Sinofsky appears to have confirmed that legacy apps won't run on ARM tablets and computers?
  • Reply 33 of 95
    Quote:

...and this is why competition is so important. Without it, any company would do what Apple's doing: the bare minimum to keep raking it in.

I see no evidence of Apple doing that. If that were the case, Apple would not have released the iPad 2 since it still hadn't faced any real competition in the tablet market (and still doesn't). I personally have no problem with an annual release cycle. Not every company needs to release a dozen model of products every 6-8 weeks.
  • Reply 34 of 95
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Hey. I didn't say that. Apple is a phenomenally innovative company. However, I strongly suspect that like all companies they would pick higher profits over increased iterative product innovation if given the opportunity. I really do believe that the iPhone 4 would really have been the iPhone 5 if Apple didn't have Android breathing down its neck.

Just look at the leaps from iPhone to iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS. None of them compare to the leap to iPhone 4 from the 3GS, imho. And I strongly suspect that has something to do with the iPhone facing a more competitive market.

I doubt anyone would disagree that competition drives the effort to attain excellence, but it is not necessarily all or nothing - there is a spectrum of responses to market forces, or lack of them. Apple did demonstrate continued innovation even while dominating the music player market. Could they have raised their game further if threatened? Probably yes.
  • Reply 35 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

I see no evidence of Apple doing that. If that were the case, Apple would not have released the iPad 2 since it still hadn't faced any real competition in the tablet market (and still doesn't). I personally have no problem with an annual release cycle. Not every company needs to release a dozen model of products every 6-8 weeks.

I should clarify my viewpoint. I don't think Apple should deviate from the annual release cycle. And I don't them not deviating from that cycle as being lazy.

What I am suggesting is that the iterations will be not be as huge if they don't face competitive pressures. After all, why put out a 10 inch retina display on your tablet if you know the competition can't come close to matching what's there now, and customers will keep buying whatever you put out?
  • Reply 36 of 95
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, they're in no rush to release the iPad 3. That means they'll release the iPad 2S sometime this fall. Maybe even at the same time as the iPhone 4S! I'm so excited!

Now just wait until someone takes the bait?

It took a few of us mods awhile to catch on to "white type" posts at a couple other sites.

You're a sneaky devil aren't you?
  • Reply 37 of 95
    With previewers of the Windows 8 tablet saying it is almost up to par with the iPad 1, why would they hurry?
  • Reply 38 of 95
    Quote:

I should clarify my viewpoint. I don't think Apple should deviate from the annual release cycle. And I don't them not deviating from that cycle as being lazy.

What I am suggesting is that the iterations will be not be as huge if they don't face competitive pressures. After all, why put out a 10 inch retina display on your tablet if you know the competition can't come close to matching what's there now, and customers will keep buying whatever you put out?

I disagree. If Apple could put out a retina display iPad that had the same (or most likely better is what it would shoot for) battery life, it would release it close to its release cycle regardless of competition for bragging rights alone.
  • Reply 39 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yes I hate FUD too. Talking of which, I'm wondering if between now and then MS might go back to their last prototype for ideas . You remember it, all the MS fans were so excited about it, you know the Courier? You should go back and read the posts on AI from that period. My god, it was going to be so wonderful. So building on that excitement again maybe they will have a dual screen with Mobile Windows on one and traditional Windows on the other and a fan you can select the direction, maybe even one for your face! Flash on one not on the other. Intel in one ARM in the other. They could market it as "The product for those who can't make up their minds from the company that can't either!"

They could call it: the split-personality or the two-faced or double-trouble.
  • Reply 40 of 95
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

The stuff Microsoft have been showing for Windows 8 on tablets is seriously impressive. They may of course fail to sell just as the also excellent Windows Phone has, but we shall see. Either way it will hopefully force Apple to finally innovate in the tablet space, instead of continuing to rely on an oversized iPod Touch.