Apple working to allow users to merge multiple Apple IDs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    Summarizing the real multiple account issue.

When iTunes first started, it used your email address as your apple ID. Later when loyal apple customers signed up and paid for mobile me, that account created a mac.com email, later changed without issue to me.com email, that was associated with an entirely new apple iD.

If you tried to switch your original email on your original iTunes account to your new mobile me email, you would get the message that the mobile me email is associated with an existing apple ID.

Their are a number of issues with this and I'll highlight one, but what makes it sad that apple has been dragging their feet on this issue is that original itunes and mobile me subscribers are among the most loyal apple customers.

Example issue: I originally sign up for iTunes with a comcast.net email. My apple ID is [email protected]. I later would like to change this to my mobile me email because I'm moving to an area that doesn't have comcast and I also would like all my iOS features to make use of the one mobile me email.

You can't change to the mobile me email. Apple won't let You. You can't keep it as is because comcast will eventually turn off your access to the email. So you are left with having to make a new email somewhere just to receive info on your iTunes account. This is sad. For all mobile me users and early iTunes adopters it should be fixed. Immediately.

One possible fix is iTunes match. If for 25 dollars it allows you to sync with apple everything you have on your machine, music, movies, apps etc,... Then this might be the solution. That is to say, all your content purchased with the original apple ID can be matched in the account associated with your mobile me email address.

Regards

MOLLY
  • Reply 22 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

SCREW THEM. Apple just needs to DO IT.

One iTunes Store. One world. Haven't any of these idiots heard of The Long Tail? It's digital. You don't have to worry about making crap available in a small market. Anyone anywhere should be able to buy anything anywhere.

Isn't anime kind of a big deal even in the U.S.? The Japanese Store would do well to release their stuff overseas.

No, Anime sucks and Americans thoroughly hate it. Even just seeing the word makes me queasy.

I do agree with having a "world store" though.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EnglishMolly View Post

Summarizing the real multiple account issue.

Regards

MOLLY

that's a nice little summary of at least primary causes Molly. I think iCloud is actually what is spurring them to finally address it. Looks like it will be, although the solution for all cases will take a while- a merge of multiple accounts into the free iCloud registration would cover most of them.

this is great news, even if it takes a while to get all of it fixed...

ken
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

No, Anime sucks and Americans thoroughly hate it. Even just seeing the word makes me queasy.

I love how you think your personal preferences have any weight beyond your individual personal preference.

Quote:

I do agree with having a "world store" though.

Of course you do; if implemented, it would be the best idea since the iTunes Store itself.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Quote:

I love how you think your personal preferences have any weight beyond your individual personal preference.

Of course you do; if implemented, it would be the best idea since the iTunes Store itself.

Thanks for loving it. Although I must confess, your love is based on fiction as I was only making a joke. Saying that all Americans agree on any issue is absurd.

Why did I do it? Well, jokes are fun and lighten the mood, and sometimes make people laugh or smile. And it was fun getting little jab in against anime, which I do coincidentally dislike to some degree.

Lighten up a bit, you'll enjoy it more.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:

SCREW THEM. Apple just needs to DO IT.

One iTunes Store. One world.

I mean, how stupid can these people be?

Not as stupid as some apparently.

It's more complicated than bitching in a forum.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

... Wouldn't it be sweet if they just turned everybody's account into a "world account" and did away with all of the individual country stores. If only the record companies and Hollywood studios would allow it.

Ironically, it's the easiest fix for the excessively large amount of content pirating currently going on also.

The fact that a hit TV show or movie can be unavailable (legally) world-wide, for years after it's release in the country of origin is one of the main drivers of piracy. No one wants to wait years to watch the cool new shows or to see a movie.

Unfortunately those in charge of the media companies are older folks with a mainly American focus. It's one of the failings of American business in general that they truly don't see the fact that there is a world of stuff out there besides that which is produced in the USA. I know a great deal of the shows and movies I watch are downloaded "illegally" because it simply isn't available any other way and isn't for sale in the iTunes store in my country.

The media execs mainly see the world as demanding *American* content, and being willing to wait for it, when in fact there is a ton of other content out there, and (surprise!) no one really wants to wait for the American stuff anymore either. Needless to say it's this kind of xenophobic, last century thinking that's turning people off to the whole industry.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    My purchases were all made with a plain Apple ID. Apple requires an e-mail Apple ID for iCloud. Therefore, Apple has to merge IDs.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    I just hate it when companies require an ID to be an email address. Especially if when creating an ID, you're not sure if you want to do business with a company for a long time. So you may give them your spam email address that you really don't check too often, or you may give them your "real' email address, but then realize that you don't want to do business with them anymore.....etc.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

merging different country accounts would be sweet.

Amen to that
  • Reply 31 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrobr View Post

Can't happen too soon!

I know.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Instead of doing this, how about investing some time and effort into developing better security for the accounts than a simple password?

Google has Apple beat here, as does Facebook. Both offer two step authentication, something Apple badly needs if it wants to be taken seriously in the online space.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    The point of the article for me wasn't the specifics, rather that Tim was doing nicely at the helm. Good to hear.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The first three are the same. You can manage them ...

yada, yada, yada

Today, you must use ... etc etc

cvaldes

Yes, thanks for info - even though I sorta already knew it

Also, thanks to others for info, solutions, etc

Convoluted and confusing as they are

THE Point in all this ?

Simple and Elegant ?

Not even close

Which is what Apple has always done

And should be doing with this 'situation'

As it is now ?

Just some half-ass Microsuck way of doing things

And not The Tao (The Path) to Change the World?

• Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

Not as stupid as some apparently.

It's more complicated than bitching in a forum.

lol, keep thinking that.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Not sure why people seem to be saying that MobileMe is causing multiple account problems...

I created an Apple ID using my .Mac email address. I've used it ever since, and even though it was upgraded to MobileMe - I continue to use my .Mac email address with no problem. Purchasing in iTunes, Mac App Store, product registrations, etc. all work fine using my @mac.com address.

For me it seems that @mac.com and @me.com are the same thing to Apple - Same email and ID. (they both show up in my Mail, Calendar, etc.) Even if I sign into iTunes using my @me.com address, it automatically defaults to my @mac.com address - so one account, not two.

Anyways, merging ID's is still probably a good idea if it can be implemented safely (don't want to lose your own data, or have someone else combine your data with theirs).
  • Reply 37 of 59
    We have the opposite issue -- my wife and I have separate Mobile Me accounts, but use only my Apple ID for app/media purchases.

The thing is, we want our synching under iCloud to stay separate while continuing to use the same Apple ID -- I don't want her photostream & vice/versa, we have totally different bookmarks, etc. Will we be able to have separate iCloud accounts while still using the same Apple ID for Apps/media?
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

We have the opposite issue -- my wife and I have separate Mobile Me accounts, but use only my Apple ID for app/media purchases.

The thing is, we want our synching under iCloud to stay separate while continuing to use the same Apple ID -- I don't want her photostream & vice/versa, we have totally different bookmarks, etc. Will we be able to have separate iCloud accounts while still using the same Apple ID for Apps/media?

To this I have to reply that Apple continues to move AWAY from being "family friendly". From the start of the AppleTV (and how only one person could sync their media - the rest had to stream) to iPads not having multiple "logins" - it's clear that Apple's focus is on having each person have their own device, account, etc. There's just no easy way to share apps between spouses, kids, etc. unless you share EVERYTHING (including photos and an email address).

iCloud will be no different. To each their own.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YodaMac View Post

To this I have to reply that Apple continues to move AWAY from being "family friendly". From the start of the AppleTV (and how only one person could sync their media - the rest had to stream) to iPads not having multiple "logins" - it's clear that Apple's focus is on having each person have their own device, account, etc. There's just no easy way to share apps between spouses, kids, etc. unless you share EVERYTHING (including photos and an email address).

iCloud will be no different. To each their own.

Actually that is quite false -- right now, our sharing is set up exactly the way we want it -- we share apps under a single Apple ID (so we only have to pay for them once) but have everything synched separately under separate MobileMe accounts.

Losing that is a huge problem with iCloud as I currently understand it.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

Actually that is quite false -- right now, our sharing is set up exactly the way we want it -- we share apps under a single Apple ID (so we only have to pay for them once) but have everything synched separately under separate MobileMe accounts.

Losing that is a huge problem with iCloud as I currently understand it.

I guess that's my point - You're having to use 3 Apple ID's to do what you want.

And iCloud is moving further towards everyone having their own account for syncing their own stuff. Sharing with your own devices and yourself - not sharing with others. Unless they add some future "family iCloud folder" or something that you could assign to, say, apps.