NYT: Apple 'just weeks away' from announcing 'fairly different' iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I would be very disappointed. The rumored slight increase to 3.7 inches would also be a let down.

Agreed. 4" should be the absolute minimum these days, but those 4.5" Android screens sure look pretty.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Agreed. 4" should be the absolute minimum these days, but those 4.5" Android screens sure look pretty.

I want a phone to carry in my pocket, not a tablet to carry in a separate bag, something with a 4.5 inch screen will be too unwieldy.

I don't believe people wish to return to the big bulky mobile phone sizes of the early 90s.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

These look Pretty damn similar to iPod touch 4th gen.

Bingo.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Disinformation. The iPhone 4S will have faster processor, more memory. That is all.

And the signature.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Yea, Global Warming scam artist Al Gore probably wants NFC/RFID to enable carbon taxes payable to his company. Why Apple has this snake oil salesman on its board is beyond me.

NO NFC/RFID SPYCHIPS!

Tin foil hat.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

Just after the launch of the iPhone 4 I wrote a blog about its drawbacks in a design sense here:

http://wp.me/p2LWx-4l

One of my criticisms - which I also sent as an Apple Feedback comment - was that it had lost the curves of the previous models, meaning it no longer felt good to the touch. The iPod touch of course looks and feels absolutely beautiful and does have curved sides and feels great in the hand.

Maybe Apple listened? Maybe the new iP5 when it comes out will have curvy edges and feel great in the hand as well as look good to the eye? I certainly hope so.

I have an iPhone 4 and my son has an iPod Touch 4th gen with the curved surfaces - and I find the iPhone 4 design far superior in ease of use - the curved surfaces on the iPod only make it harder to push the buttons and plug in the connector since they are on a curved surface.

Those pics seem to me to be far more likely to be an iPod Touch 5 - not an iPhone 5.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Of course the iPhone 5 will look 'fairly different' from the iPhone 4. Does anybody think that Apple took all this extra time to merely release the same looking phone?

That would be funny. "We know you've waited a really long time for this one and we thank you for your patience. So here it is, iPhone 4S."
  • Reply 48 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    There's some interesting claims in an article at 9to5Mac this morning. Suggestions that the iPhone 5 is experiencing production issues, there are two phones being announced and Apple is jumping into the pre-paid market with both feet.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/15/new-yo...re/#more-93120
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dirty Smuggler View Post

That would be funny. "We know you've waited a really long time for this one and we thank you for your patience. So here it is, iPhone 4S."

delay does not necessarily indicate major case redesign - many factors from internals to software to LTE to CDMA + GSM etc could mean that many development efforts need to come together and be co-released even with not a single external change to the appearance.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    this design mock-up: http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/15/apple-...ggest-carrier/ seems more likely to me than a rounded redesign.

then again - why make it so much thinner? is the current design really so bad - and if you could make it so thin why not use the extra space for more battery and leave it the same overall form factor.

I prefer the square sides - especially if you want to stand it on one edge for hand free video call for example - make it too thin and it would not stand up on edge very well.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Been waiting for this since the 3GS version.

Just release the damn phone already!

/p
  • Reply 52 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The NYT is careful about it's rep as a source of information?

"Verizon iPhone in January 2008!"

"Verizon iPhone in June 2008!"

"Verizon iPhone in Fall 2008!"

"Verizon iPhone in June 2009!"

"Verizon iPhone in January 2010!"

"Verizon iPhone in Spring 2010!"

The only joke here is them having any "reputation".
  • Reply 53 of 70
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

big sales of compelling products people actually want

fixed it for you

The rest of your comment is just wishful thinking of haters or competitors who don't want to give credit to Apple for doing hard work and getting rewarded for it in the marketplace.

You can spew your tired drivel all you want - it's still not going to make a difference
  • Reply 54 of 70
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kennybouy View Post

Get a load of this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzsBw...feature=relmfu

That was very well done. And that's probably where we are eventually headed (although, except perhaps for the thinness, there would be severe engineering constraints on implementing the other features - like projecting a keyboard is one thing, but being able to respond to key-presses from a projected image is quite another). But I do like the way these guys think - Apple should hire them.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Verizon iPhone in January 2008!"

"Verizon iPhone in June 2008!"

"Verizon iPhone in Fall 2008!"

"Verizon iPhone in June 2009!"

"Verizon iPhone in January 2010!"

"Verizon iPhone in Spring 2010!"

The only joke here is them having any "reputation".

You got any links. The search for verizon phone nyt shows them being accurate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/09/te...y/09phone.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/te...y/12phone.html

thats all I get, and references to it.

have you a link to the 2008 references?
  • Reply 56 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

My month:

Retired my iPhone 3GS.

Bought an iPhone 4 16GB online. Loved it.

Needed Gall Bladder surgery. Sold iPhone 4.

Bought new 32GB iPhone with contract renewal.

Regained sanity and took phone back for refund.

Now waiting until the iPhone 5 comes out.

If the iPhone 5 isn't fantastic, I will just bring my 3GS out of retirement for another year.

Wow, you really should have waited for the iGallBladder that Apple is rumored to release soon.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I want a phone to carry in my pocket, not a tablet to carry in a separate bag, something with a 4.5 inch screen will be too unwieldy.

I don't believe people wish to return to the big bulky mobile phone sizes of the early 90s.

Agreed. I truly hope the next iphone is no bigger, physically, than the iphone4. There quasi-tablet android phones are absurd.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    The desire for bigger screen size (but NOT bigger phone size):

Originally Posted by thrang

Quote:

If the new iPhone doesn't have a larger screen, who would be disappointed?

I think I would -

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Me too. Same size case with a little more screen territory would be just fine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I would be very disappointed.

Me 2,193,466........

Quote:

Yea, Global Warming scam artist Al Gore probably wants NFC/RFID to enable carbon taxes payable to his company. Why Apple has this snake oil salesman on its board is beyond me.

NO NFC/RFID SPYCHIPS!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

iPhone:

I don't yet have one, but I want one. The iPhone 4 has many plusses, but I expect it to go sour or sweet in the next iteration. Bigger is possibly better for people who don't use anything but cars. I think Americans will love a bigger device, and possibly Koreans as I see a lot of large devices on the train.

However, I don't see the same lure of large devices in Japan, Canada, or Europe. I don't know South America, Africa, or South Asia, or Australia for that matter. But, as soon as a device cannot fit comfortably in a pair of non-baggy jeans, it is off the buy list for me, not matter that it is easier to text.

I want small, powerful, and graceful, and the new breed of Android devices that car-driving people prefer, is way, way too big.

unrelated mishmash from an internet people with a chip on his shoulder: Not sure how your pertains at all to the iPhone 5. If you wanted to ruffle Foxconn's feathers, or Apple's on the design, or its partners, all power to you, friend, but where does Al Gore and carbon taxes, and American politics even blend into this article.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

About the same as linking driving cars to liking big phones and certain nationalities.

Summarized cars/phone size/Gore connection: If you're always in a car, you can have fewer of your gadgets on your body or in something you're carrying around all the time, so bulkier and more numerous gadgets are less of an issue. (Same thing for hefty nerds who only wear baggy clothes and - if they have the scratch - Scottie Vests.)

As for Al Gore, how can he still be around? His world ended 10 years ago. He promised.

Meanwhile, I saw my first 4.3 or +" screen phone in the wild recently. It looked ridic to me - a Godzilla phone - and certainly something only a Nerd could love as his (and I can't see many gals choosing this) phone. While it had lots of chops, I thot less of the owner.

Using all the real estate in the current phone factor width would suit me fine - and keep the distaff contingent.

If Apple wants to build that 4.5-5" 3G iPod touch as a product for a different demo they believe is in the multi-millions, build away. But not for my phone.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

***NEWS ALERT***

This just in: GeneralÃ*ssimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Also just in: Apple will be releasing an iPhone 5.

thank you
  • Reply 60 of 70
    Quote:

NO NFC/RFID SPYCHIPS!

Srsly, take a pill. Like a tranquilizer. So ready to defend hearth and home, you're just wishing for a reason to grab a gun and be a real man. Be careful what you wish for.