NYT: Apple 'just weeks away' from announcing 'fairly different' iPhone 5

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    The device in the photo appears to be more like the iPod touch. The only difference appears to be the stereo speakers on the bottom, the headphone jack moved to the top and what may be a flash near the camera. All the other buttons look identical as does the size and bevel of the edges. Lack of a mute switch also leads me to believe this is an iPod touch 5G.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    My money has been on a fairly substantial case redesign all along. Reasons being:

1) Antenna-gate. OK, maybe it was blown out of proportion, but not getting an unqualified thumbs up from Consumer Reports, and having to publicly offer free bumpers to everyone must have been humiliating.

2) Papermaster. The iPhone 4 was developed and released during the brief tenure of Mark Papermaster. Papermaster and Jobs apparently didn't get along. Papermaster's gone, I bet his phone will be gone too.

3) Glass back. Having a glass back makes the iPhone 4 almost twice as susceptible to breakage when dropped.

4) Harmonization with the product line. Apple likes their products to all have a similar aesthetic. Right now, that means curved aluminum.

So, my best guess is the iPhone 5 will look a lot like a mini iPad 2.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

My money has been on a fairly substantial case redesign all along. Reasons being:

1) Antenna-gate. OK, maybe it was blown out of proportion, but not getting an unqualified thumbs up from Consumer Reports, and having to publicly offer free bumpers to everyone must have been humiliating.

2) Papermaster. The iPhone 4 was developed and released during the brief tenure of Mark Papermaster. Papermaster and Jobs apparently didn't get along. Papermaster's gone, I bet his phone will be gone too.

3) Glass back. Having a glass back makes the iPhone 4 almost twice as susceptible to breakage when dropped.

4) Harmonization with the product line. Apple likes their products to all have a similar aesthetic. Right now, that means curved aluminum.

Hmm.. interesting points. Plausible.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kennybouy View Post

Get a load of this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzsBw...feature=relmfu

Nice work Kenny!

I see you are a Wellingtonian - are you working at Weta?
  • Reply 65 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Quite possibly. I made a mockup of what that could look like:

I still think a capacitive home button will be better and it would be lozenge-shaped, not a rounded rectangle like Samsung.

You would tap to enable the screen and slide to unlock as normal or if you know what you are doing already, just slide the home button.

Slide left when active, always takes you home. Double-tap the capacitive button to get to the app switcher, slide right or hold to get to voice control.

Slightly larger screen but the same aspect ratio and the same resolution.

I'd like them to put the cell phone parts and antenna on the outside as part of a sled and make it very thin but the carriers might not be too happy with that as they can't lock you in. They could have branded sleds though so you could see at a glance walking down the street how many people had a working signal with which carrier.

This means that Apple doesn't even have to test prototype iPhones in the wild because the carriers can test their sleds at any time - all year round in fact - and offer upgraded sleds when they have new network features like LTE or 4G. When you sell your iPhone on, just sell the device and the next person gets a sled from their carrier of choice.

Given that the 32GB iPod Touch is $299, I'd expect they could put in the better camera for $399. If they separated the parts, that price for an unlocked device is pretty good and they could charge for the sleds e.g $50.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    After having every version of the iphone well nearly except for the version 4 i can say i think there best in most ways just hate itunes and not being able to copy and paste files

But the new phone needs a new bigger screen, better battery life, speaker and signal and reception and im sold...
  • Reply 67 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

Just after the launch of the iPhone 4 I wrote a blog about its drawbacks in a design sense here:

http://wp.me/p2LWx-4l

One of my criticisms - which I also sent as an Apple Feedback comment - was that it had lost the curves of the previous models, meaning it no longer felt good to the touch. The iPod touch of course looks and feels absolutely beautiful and does have curved sides and feels great in the hand.

Maybe Apple listened? Maybe the new iP5 when it comes out will have curvy edges and feel great in the hand as well as look good to the eye? I certainly hope so.

Your input was crucial to Apple since obviously they couldn't sell the iPhone4 because of the shortcomings you noted.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarkid View Post

just hate itunes and not being able to copy and paste files

What do these words mean?

Quote:

needs a new bigger screen

No, it doesn't.

Quote:

better battery life

Not necessarily, though it's always welcome.

Quote:

signal and reception

Get out of town. That's the problem of the carriers.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Yea, Global Warming scam artist Al Gore probably wants NFC/RFID to enable carbon taxes payable to his company. Why Apple has this snake oil salesman on its board is beyond me.

NO NFC/RFID SPYCHIPS!

The ability to string letters and words together doesn't mean they make sense, nor does it make them true. If you're out to spy on people, NFC/RFID is a very poor way to do it. Understand the technologies you write about before making rabid comments against it.

While we're at it, wearing your politics on your armband is not a good way to get a useful discussion going.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I still think a capacitive home button will be better and it would be lozenge-shaped, not a rounded rectangle like Samsung.

Also, I'd expect it to not even be separate. It would really just be an indentation in the glass. Right now, Apple has to leave a large enough separation at the bottom of the home button so that the glass has some integrity but has to leave the same gap at the top for symmetry and then the same total space at the speaker again for symmetry.

If the glass is only indented and not cut, they can make the bottom and top bezels as small as they want.