Safari fonts corruption

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've installed Lion on both my MacBook Pros, and now I'm having font problems in Safari.

I'm getting screens of letter 'A' in boxes instead of the text.

On my older MBP (2009 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) the problem is really bad - all web pages fail to display properly. My newer 2011 2.2 i7 has the problem only on some pages.

How can I solve this conflict?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

I've installed Lion on both my MacBook Pros, and now I'm having font problems in Safari.

I'm getting screens of letter 'A' in boxes instead of the text.

On my older MBP (2009 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) the problem is really bad - all web pages fail to display properly. My newer 2011 2.2 i7 has the problem only on some pages.

How can I solve this conflict?

Have you tried opening Font Book and using File >> Restore Standard Fonts... ?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

Have you tried opening Font Book and using File >> Restore Standard Fonts... ?

tried that and got 'Your system already contains the standard system fonts and no others. No changes made.'

problem still there.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    At this point, a screenshot and, perhaps, a little more information may be helpful. Is this occurring on specific pages? on random pages? on all pages?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

At this point, a screenshot and, perhaps, a little more information may be helpful. Is this occurring on specific pages? on random pages? on all pages?

sure. It happens on only a few pages on my newer MBP. But on my older MPB it's everywhere - even the Google search page. Yet both machines are running the same OS version.

http://homepage.mac.com/jasonfj/ScreenShot.png
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Open FontBook and remove duplicate fonts.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    When I do, I get 'no duplicate fonts found'.

Tried validating Web fonts, and I see problems with some. Also, there's Ariel Black and Ariel Black.ttf (which has a problem alert) - could the .ttf file be the problem?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

When I do, I get 'no duplicate fonts found'.

Tried validating Web fonts, and I see problems with some. Also, there's Ariel Black and Ariel Black.ttf (which has a problem alert) - could the .ttf file be the problem?

That's exactly it. You need to get choose either one or the other. Although it's not an exact duplicate, they have duplicate names or IDs. Lion doesn't like that. Choose either the Truetype or the Type 1 version, but don't use both.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Well, have deleted all the duplicates and checked for corruptions. However, still no better.

When I copy and paste the corrupt font into TextEdit, it shows as Helvetica Neue Italic. I've checked the font in FontAgentPro and it appears to be ok.

• Reply 9 of 9

I have had success connecting to a couple of my local hotspots but not all.  At least that was a bit of an improvement.  I am home today so I will check to see whether I can connect to any of the other hotspots.  I have been down the shore for the past few days.  I was not been able to connect to the xfinitywifi hotspots but did connect with the optimum wifi network. The day before I left home I received a call from Comcast.  They seem to be aware of the problem.  I was told that the iPhone 5 is so new that they have issues with it but are working to correct the problem.air yeezy 2 pas cher

air yeezy 2 pas cher homme

air yeezy 2 pas cher femme