Leaked photo shows white 'iPhone 4s' entry in AT&T inventory system

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A leaked photo allegedly from AT&T's internal inventory system shows a new entry for a "iPhone 4s White" as the launch of Apple's next-generation iPhone nears.

Engadget received the screenshot of the carrier's internal system from a tipster, with the listing for the "iPhone 4s" beneath other iPhone models, such as the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4. The listing appears to be incomplete, however, as it does not list the storage capacity.

Also worth noting is the fact that the "s" is left uncapitalized, unlike the "G" in the "iPhone 3G 8GB Black" listing. While it's possible that the entry is simply a mistake, the photo is fueling speculation that Apple will release an iPhone 4S next month, possibly alongside the so-called iPhone 5.

The "iPhone 4S" moniker has been used by the media to refer to a rumored modest upgrade to Apple's existing iPhone 4 handset, similar to the difference between the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS. In recent months, publications have taken to referring to Apple's upcoming fifth-generation smartphone as the "iPhone 5," and the rumored incremental revamp of the iPhone 4 as the "iPhone 4S."

Numerous reports have suggested that Apple will release two distinct versions of the iPhone in an attempt to break into the pre-paid market. Earlier this year, a bevy of reports from major media outlets claimed that Apple was hard at work on a cheaper iPhone, with some even suggesting that the new device would actually be smaller in size.

Meanwhile, reports on the iPhone 5 have emerged alongside separate rumors of the "iPhone 4S." According to one recent report, Apple will announce the new iPhone 5, which Apple engineers reportedly said will be "fairly different" from the iPhone 4, in "just weeks." The device is expected to feature the A5 processor and an 8-megapixel camera.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told AppleInsider earlier this week that Apple is set to build 30 million next-generation iPhones with an improved antenna design by the end this year. Kuo pointed to a mid-October launch for the device, as he expects Apple to release the golden master of iOS 5 to assemblers during the week of Sept. 23.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I am a pale face man. That means that I will enjoy this new phone. Lol.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    If the person making the entry into the system had actual information, why not list GB?
  • Reply 3 of 59
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    no way apple releases a pre-paid iphone. apple is only in the premium market.

next thing you know they will sell apple stuff at wal mart and target
  • Reply 4 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grandplan View Post

If the person making the entry into the system had actual information, why not list GB?

Maybe it's only a placeholder for the future 'low cost' version of the iPhone 4, and they're not sure what its internal memory will be.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    It really looks like a fake. The product description is completely different than the others.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

You mean like iPads, iPhones and iPods and iPod touch?

Oh, wait, they already do this.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

It really looks like a fake. The product description is completely different than the others.

"Completely" different?

It's exactly the same except for the size.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Or eastern Texas?
  • Reply 9 of 59
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    A new iPhone 4ss is coming out. It will be sold with the new 2012 Chevy Camaro 2ss.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    What is interesting to me is that this listing appears to be for Apple only. Perhaps the 5 remaining on page 2 are:

iPhone 4s Black

iPhone 5 16GB White

iPhone 5 16GB Black

iPhone 5 32GB White

iPhone 5 32GB Black

• Reply 11 of 59
    Quote:

Presumably this is a wind-up, right?

I have a PAYG iPhone 3G that I've had for three years...
  • Reply 12 of 59
    "What is interesting to me is that this listing appears to be for Apple only. Perhaps the 5 remaining on page 2 are:

iPhone 4s Black

iPhone 5 16GB White

iPhone 5 16GB Black

iPhone 5 32GB White

iPhone 5 32GB Black"

No, because "iPhone 4s Black" would be listed before "iPhone 4s White" (alphabetically and based on the logic of the other listings shown)
  • Reply 13 of 59
    I dunno. Smells fake. There may be such a product coming, but that doesn't mean the screenshot is genuine.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

"Completely" different?

It's exactly the same except for the size.

It is an inventory system...

There is only one 3GS on market but they list the gb for it.

Unless omg,the 4s has no on board storage! This is the biggest scoop ever

Or maybe it is fake or a place holder.. Awwww

---

Anyone still thinking apple isn't going to make a prepaid or cheaper model is either being sarcastic or hasn't paid attention to apple's moves in the portable music player market.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grandplan View Post

Why list the GB if there's only one model available?
  • Reply 16 of 59
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    any pre-paid iphone will be non-retina and most likely pre-A4 CPU. all the prepaid phones are crappy because to sell unlimited data you have to sell a phone that can barely use any data
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrooksT View Post

Why list the GB if there's only one model available?

Pretty astute. You are right. There wouldn't be different memory versions for 4S.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigzaj View Post

What is interesting to me is that this listing appears to be for Apple only. Perhaps the 5 remaining on page 2 are:

iPhone 4s Black

iPhone 5 16GB White

iPhone 5 16GB Black

iPhone 5 32GB White

iPhone 5 32GB Black

You bring up a good point - why not show a screenshot showing "iPhone 5" entries? Unless the person who took the shot was not the same as the person bringing up this screen.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also worth noting is the fact that the "s" is left uncapitalized, unlike the "G" in the "iPhone 3G 8GB Black" listing.

indeed. never trust lower case letters or anything that is not in helvetica 12.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigzaj View Post

iPhone 4s Black

iPhone 5 16GB White

iPhone 5 16GB Black

iPhone 5 32GB White

iPhone 5 32GB Black

Check the screen again. It is showing page 2. Items 11-16. The correct question would be, 'What are the 10 items on page 1?'

Anyway, it certainly seems like a prank I would pull if worked in inventory at AT&T. Mind you I would have used a capital S and a capacity.