Plethora of purported Apple 'iPhone 4S' parts surface

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As uncertainty remains as to whether Apple will launch an "iPhone 4S," an "iPhone 5" -- or both -- in the coming weeks, new parts claimed to be for an upgraded iPhone 4 model have appeared.

The new images were sent to AppleInsider by iRepair India, and are claimed to be of a soon-to-be-released "iPhone 4S" model. The parts were reportedly supplied from Shenzhen, China.

The person who sent the components actually referred to the handset as an "iPhone 4GS," referencing the name of Apple's iPhone 3GS, first released in 2009. The supplier claimed there will be "no iPhone 5 this year," suggesting a major hardware revamp in 2011 could be questionable.

The supplier indicated that sample parts of virtually all components of the so-called "iPhone 4S" are available for purchase, including the battery, camera, home button, dock connector assembly, and display glass.

The co-founder of iRepair India told AppleInsider that he has been servicing Apple's portable hardware for three years and has known this particular Chinese supplier for that duration. He said the information provided by the source is "credible enough" for him.

The source reportedly indicated they are "really, really" sure that the components are genuine, and represent an unreleased iPhone from Apple.

The pictures provided show a number of components claimed to be from a new, unreleased iPhone from Apple. They include a camera housing, home button, front glass pane, and other internal circuitry.

Just this weekend, a leaked photo showed an "iPhone 4s" in AT&T's inventory system, generating more speculation about Apple's next iPhone upgrade. There have been suggestions that Apple will release two iPhone models this year, with a new low-end model that could help Apple break in to the pre-paid mobile market.

Though some reports have claimed that Apple's fifth-generation iPhone will sport a design largely similar to the current iPhone 4, a number of third-party case manufacturers have designed housings to fit a radically redesigned handset with curved sides and a potentially larger screen. Last week, The New York Times reported that Apple is just weeks away from announcing a new iPhone 5 that will have a "fairly different" appearance from the current iPhone 4. That report made no mention of an iPhone 4S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Regardless of what is going to be, there can only be one upgrade a year so anybody who think 4S isn't radical enough it is just a year away to the next one (taking into account the rumours so effectively will be less). I, myself will be disappointed if the upgrade is small since Im using a 3GS.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I've said it before and I'll say it again now: if the best Apple can come up with after almost a year and a half is the same iPhone 4 with some upgraded components, they are going to have a ton of disappointed customers on their hands.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again now: if the best Apple can come up with after almost a year and a half is the same iPhone 4 with some upgraded components, they are going to have a ton of disappointed customers on their hands.

Wasn't the case with the 3GS. Hasn't been the case with any Apple product ever.

Millions don't care. Millions won't care. They'll buy it anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Regardless of what is going to be, there can only be one upgrade a year so anybody who think 4S isn't radical enough it is just a year away to the next one (taking into account the rumours so effectively will be less). I, myself will be disappointed if the upgrade is small since Im using a 3GS.

A year is too long to wait for the 5. As a 3GS user, the 4s still represents a pretty good upgrade. I just really want that 4" screen.

I'm to the point of thinking that Apple is intentionally leaking 4s stuff so that the 5 will be a huge surprise. Does it seem like Apple is not sending out a lot of C&D letters?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

I'm to the point of thinking that Apple is intentionally leaking 4s stuff so that the 5 will be a huge surprise. Does it seem like Apple is not sending out a lot of C&D letters?

It also seems that they haven't done that at all for at least three years, so it's not really an indicator of anything.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

For most people, the big thing about this years iPhone is going to be iOS 5, not the hardware upgrade. The iPhone 5 will not have LTE, that's for sure, so bumping the CPU speed and doubling the RAM would make the iPhone 5 great for almost anyone looking for an iPhone.

I honestly don't see what would be so bad about just upping the specs on the iPhone 4, it's exactly what all the other manufacturers do all year round. What kind of brilliant unexpected features that would be useful to anyone do you expect from the iPhone 5? The iPhone 4 already does almost everything, and it's still one of the best looking phones around.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wasn't the case with the 3GS. Hasn't been the case with any Apple product ever.

Millions don't care. Millions won't care. They'll buy it anyway.

My wife and I each have an iPhone 3GS, and depending on what Apple unveils this year will determine if we'll be sticking with the iPhone or not. The reviews for the Epic Touch 4G Lightning look positive.

Back when the iPhone 3GS was released, Apple was still the smart phone leader for all to copy. The environment has shifted considerably since then. Apple is now playing catchup with iOS 4, and especially, 5. Android phones have long supported larger touch screens and dual-core processors, and they already support 3D, speech to text and widgets.

Apple's insistence on releasing one major OS and hardware update a year is seriously letting the competition blow past them with continual updates.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

For most people, the big thing about this years iPhone is going to be iOS 5, not the hardware upgrade. The iPhone 5 will not have LTE, that's for sure, so bumping the CPU speed and doubling the RAM would make the iPhone 5 great for almost anyone looking for an iPhone.

I honestly don't see what would be so bad about just upping the specs on the iPhone 4, it's exactly what all the other manufacturers do all year round. What kind of brilliant unexpected features that would be useful to anyone do you expect from the iPhone 5? The iPhone 4 already does almost everything, and it's still one of the best looking phones around.

That right there is why iFans expect more. Apple isn't "like every other manufacturer" and we don't want the company to start down that path. We expect more from Apple than we do from the imitators.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

The environment has shifted considerably since then.

Which is why everyone continues to simply copy Apple.

Quote:

Android? ?larger touch screens? ?3D?

Who gives a frick? I don't want a 4" phone. I don't want 3D gimmicks. And are you really claiming that iOS doesn't support larger touch screens? It's 2011. The iPad's out, you see.

Quote:

Apple's insistence on releasing one major OS and hardware update a year is seriously letting the competition blow past them with continual updates.

Funny, then, that a two year old iPhone sells better than anyone else's device.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again now: the vast majority of Apple customers don't pay attention to things like tech rumor blogs.

They're consumers and will by whatever is on the store shelf, not worry about release dates, specs, blah blah blah. Which is why Apple sold a record setting 20 million iPhones last quarter despite a looming new model.

Heck, the number two selling smartphone in the United States is the iPhone 3GS, which is what, a twenty-six month old design?

Let's face it, if the fifth-generation iPhone is an incremental update over the iPhone 4, only tens of thousands of customers will be disappointed. They will probably sell 25 million of them in the holiday quarter. The number of "disappointed customers" will amount to 0.01%, which is why the iPhone towers over the competition in customer satisfaction surveys.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Keep in mind, though, that the company with the best tech on the market isn't the winner. The company that's making the most profit wins, and right now the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS are the top two smartphones on the market.

Us tech geeks may wail that the iPhone isn't being updated frequently enough or that it doesn't have the latest, greatest features, but the market as a whole is rewarding Apple for their strategy. It's hard to argue that Apple should change course when Apple is still selling the hell out of a phone that's over two years old.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Nice legs... It may or may not be well known but ethnic Chinese do have very little body hair. I'm half-ethnic Chinese and have brown skin, so some people think I wax my chest when they see me at the beach . Yes, too much information, but then again, there's too little iPhone5 information so maybe it balances out... Or not.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

That right there is why iFans expect more. Apple isn't "like every other manufacturer" and we don't want the company to start down that path. We expect more from Apple than we do from the imitators.

Agreed... Up to now, with literally every iteration of the iPhone, Apple has surprised me with some feature or property that I didn't see coming. With the 2G it was the iPhone itself, with the 3G it was the app store, with the 3GS it was the enourmous speed bump, and with the 4 it was the retina screen and the general design. So most likely the 5 will again have one unexpected killer feature or something else about it that makes will surprise me, I'm just not sure what it will be.

That said, if they only do a speed bump, the iPhone 5 will still be a fantastic phone. Probably I won't upgrade from my 3GS though, but that's just because the 3GS itself is such a great device. Apple actually did a little too well, seeing that I wouldn't be bothered too much using my 3GS for three full years
  • Reply 14 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Bla-di-bla-di-bla.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

That said, if they only do a speed bump, the iPhone 5 will still be a fantastic phone. Probably I won't upgrade from my 3GS though, but that's just because the 3GS itself is such a great device. Apple actually did a little too well, seeing that I wouldn't be bothered too much using my 3GS for three full years

That's how I feel about my iPhone4. It's only been one year since I got it, and I could hold on to it for another year. But with Apple, you never know. iPhone5 could be Steve's last product he is/was deeply involved in.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again now: if after almost a year and a half of selling the iPhone 4, (the singularly most popular and sucessful phone design of all time), they now change to a larger, flat 'mini-iPad' shaped device, they are going to have a ton of disappointed customers on their hands.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again now: the vast majority of Apple customers don't pay attention to things like tech rumor blogs.

They're consumers and will by whatever is on the store shelf, not worry about release dates, specs, blah blah blah. Which is why Apple sold a record setting 20 million iPhones last quarter despite a looming new model.

Heck, the number two selling smartphone in the United States is the iPhone 3GS, which is what, a twenty-six month old design?

Let's face it, if the fifth-generation iPhone is an incremental update over the iPhone 4, only tens of thousands of customers will be disappointed. They will probably sell 25 million of them in the holiday quarter. The number of "disappointed customers" will amount to 0.01%, which is why the iPhone towers over the competition in customer satisfaction surveys.

I keep hearing that blurb, but I'd like to see the breakdown of that. I'm willing to bet good money that most of those 20 million weren't sold in the states or countries that are expected to get the new phone right away. I'm betting most of those sales are in countries where the phone either just hit or it is still more than months from actually getting the new phone.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again now: if after almost a year and a half of selling the iPhone 4, (the singularly most popular and sucessful phone design of all time), they now change to a larger, flat 'mini-iPad' shaped device, they are going to have a ton of disappointed customers on their hands.

Based on the rumors, will there be much difference between the 5 and the 4s, aside from the screen size?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

I keep hearing that blurb, but I'd like to see the breakdown of that. I'm willing to bet good money that most of those 20 million weren't sold in the states or countries that are expected to get the new phone right away. I'm betting most of those sales are in countries where the phone either just hit or it is still more than months from actually getting the new phone.

iPhone 4 Still The Top Selling Smartphone In US
  • Reply 20 of 32
    If I were trying to protect my sources, I would've blurred out that QR code! I doubt it's really an issue, but Apple could probably use that to track down which plant, which line, etc. the leak came from.