College Football 2002

Comments

• Reply 421 of 492
    Technically Brad Banks is first in passing efficiency as Dinwiddie must not have had enough games or attempts or something to qualify. The official stats can be found here:

<a href="http://www.ncaa.org/stats/division1 football/national rankings/IA_playerpasseff.html&quot; target="_blank">http://www.ncaa.org/stats/division1 football/national rankings/IA_playerpasseff.html&lt;/a&gt;

Passing efficiency is the best stat for QBs but I agree with groverat's implied point that it might be that reliable in determining who the best QBs are.

Carson Palmer and Jason Gesser might be better than Banks. Pickett? Naw.

No one in the Big 12 is better (Hodge/Hybl/Simms/Lord). Kingsbury is a systemized stat monkey and Wallace throws way too many picks.

Byron Leftwich might be better, I never watch Marshall so that is hard to say.

No one in the Big East is better. Dorsey is way overrated simply because the rest of the team is stacked. Randall Fitzgerald and St. Pierre all suck.

Zack Mills might be comparable though I think that is a stretch.

I don't believe it for a second but some people might say Philip Rivers. McBrien is nothing special and Rix blows.

David Greene is a nice QB when his idiotic coach isnt pulling him so that Shockley can run around and then throw INTs. Grossman has been entirely mediocre this year. Clausen was good last year but has been hurt this year.

I can buy Palmer, Gesser, and Leftwich as better than Banks. Greene and Mills close behind but I think that about covers it. Just my opinion of course, I'm sure others have different opinions which are equally if not more valid than mine.

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: ColanderOfDeath ]</p>
  • Reply 422 of 492
    poor bama...

Fran couldn't do any worse than RC...
  • Reply 423 of 492
    I'm not sure that Bob Stoops would agree with that.
  • Reply 424 of 492
    I heard that the so-called "big east" rule, something about not being eligible for a BCS bowl unless you've been in the top 15 or 20 or something for a certain amount of weeks, will be applied to the ACC because of Florida State this year.
  • Reply 425 of 492
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Franny screwed his players over, sad sad. Talked them into staying in the sinking ship all while preparing his life boat. Now he won't even face them to tell them he's stabbed them in the back.

Perfect fit for Aggy.

I sure hope he took some alchemy classes at 'Bama, because he's got a huge pile of shit to turn into gold before the potbangers start calling for his head. How much more rosy is a crap team losing its few good players than a legendary program facing the end of its probation? Maybe 'Bama will get slapped some more, but I don't see the use.
  • Reply 426 of 492
    Hokie, the Big East rule says that if a conference's champions over a four year span have a mean BCS ranking of 12 or lower, or perhaps lower than 12, then the BCS may reconsider their inclusion as a BCS conference with an automatic bid. Not sure what the ACC's average is but since FSU was #1 in 99 in the BCS and #2 in 00 I kind of doubt that the four year average could be below 12. Beyond that, they have no intention of ever actually kicked out a conference. ACC still gets at least decent TV ratings which is what really matters, not how good the teams are. Unless we go to superconferences that Big East rule will never be invoked.

Alabama has a new NCAA investigation open and an old one that has been reopened. Rumor is that the facts are making it very hard for the NCAA to do anything other than give them the Mustang treatment for one year although many people think they will never use the Death Penalty again. But it is gonna get worse before it gets better for them regardless, they will definitely get an extension onto that bowl ban and more scholarship cuts. The scholarship cuts really hurt a program. I don't blame Franchione for leaving under the circumstances. However if it true that he won't be going back to address his team then he has no balls and deserves to be anally ravaged by Bevo.
  • Reply 427 of 492
    Florida State does NOT belong in any BCS game!
  • Reply 428 of 492
    I agree, that's beyond sad.

I think maybe 5 or 6 teams in the BigXII could've won the ACC this year.
  • Reply 429 of 492
    Or the Big Televen

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: ShawnPatrickJoyce ]</p>
  • Reply 430 of 492
    Or 3 or 4 Big Televen teams.
  • Reply 431 of 492
    Hey CoD, thanks for the clarification. I really am not proficient on BCS rules... (as you probably figured out)
  • Reply 432 of 492
    Well, it's all over but the shoutin'.

Fiesta: Miami - Ohio State

Rose: WSU - Iowa

Orange: OU - FSU

Sugar: Georgia - USC

Two Big 10/1, two Pac 10, 1 BigXII, 1 SEC. The BCS doesn't work.

The Orange is supposed to take Iowa instead of OU (which puts OU in the Rose), but I can't imagine there not being a Big 10/1 team in the Rose.
  • Reply 433 of 492
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Well, it's all over but the shoutin'.

Rose: WSU - Iowa

Orange: OU - FSU

Sugar: Georgia - USC

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can't say it's bad news, but I was hoping against hope to see an Iowa-Ohio State game. Just because it would be a good game, and it would settle a few questions.

Ah well. It'll be something for people here to argue over their beers for the next few decades.
  • Reply 434 of 492
    Oklahoma being in the Rose Bowl when Iowa is available and deserving is just wrong. I don't even care about Iowa but as a Big Ten fan I want to vomit. Every single year so far the BCS has ****ed something up and gotten away with it.
  • Reply 435 of 492
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>

The Orange is supposed to take Iowa instead of OU (which puts OU in the Rose), but I can't imagine there not being a Big 10/1 team in the Rose.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The real pairings...

Rose: WSU - OU

Orange: Iowa - USC

Sugar: Georgia - FSU
  • Reply 436 of 492
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Iowa...you guys just got jobbed. USC is playing perhaps the best football in the country. Being a Univ of Washington fan I can attest to how good USC's Defense is and the offense ain't too shabby. I think Iowa had a much better chance of beating the Washington State Coogers. It will be a good game though...I think this pairs up the two best teams in each conference. No disrespect to OSU but they don't really have an offense that stands out.

The poor Coogers now how to play Oklahoma. One of the Best Defenses out there. Those poor hicks.

FSU? WTF. I hope Georgia stomps them into the ground.

Miami vs OSU...y'all are about to see what speed does. Miami by 21 at least. OSU's Defense is tough but NOBODY in the Big10 has anywhere near the total Team Speed of Miami.
  • Reply 437 of 492
    We shall see.
  • Reply 438 of 492
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    What's funny about his is that the Orange Bowl will be the real Rose Bowl, with Pac-10 and Big 10 champions. Since the Rose Bowl gets better ratings than the other bowls, it will be interesting to see if the ratings go to the Orange. Will anybody in the country be watching Washingto St. - Oklahoma? Who cares about that game?
  • Reply 439 of 492
    [quote]Originally posted by norfa:

<strong>Will anybody in the country be watching Washingto St. - Oklahoma? Who cares about that game?</strong><hr></blockquote>

i will. would have prefered a game against miami, but oh well.

[quote]Originally posted by norfa:

<strong>Miami vs OSU...y'all are about to see what speed does. Miami by 21 at least. OSU's Defense is tough but NOBODY in the Big10 has anywhere near the total Team Speed of Miami.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i think osu has a very good chance of beating miami. the canes have looked very suspect when playing teams with halfway decent defenses, where osu's will be by far the best they will haved faced. the real question is wheather the buckeye "o" can take advantage of miami's mediocre "d". if they can put points on the board, they will win. it been said before, but "great defenses win championships".
  • Reply 440 of 492
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]"great defenses win championships" <hr></blockquote>

But very good defenses teamed with great offenses win championships more.

I say Miami wins easily.

I also like OU in the Rose, which I'll watch, although it won't seem the same,

USC in the Orange (I agree that Wazzou may have been a better matchup for Iowa )

and FSU in the Sugar.

But what about the REAL big game?

Cyclones bust Broncos in Crucial.com Blue Field Humanitarian Bowl!!!

Coach McCarney granted free memory upgrades for life!

Jeff

[ 12-08-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>