Plethora of purported Apple 'iPhone 4S' parts surface

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    So with rumors running rampant & we're none the wiser, what do we know. Well, we know the following:

1. iOS 5 is coming this autumn (fall).

2. iCloud is coming this autumn.

3. No new iPods have been released, announced, or even rumored (Touch, Nano, etc...)

4. No new iPhone models have been released (but plenty of rumors).

5. October is month usually reserved for earnings, though in Oct. 2007, Apple did release Mac OS X Leopard.

6. As of today (09/19), no Apple event has been announced.

7. Rumors for August & September release of new iPhone were false, including reports about AT&T staff training and so on and so forth.

What we can speculate:

1. If Apple is going to release a new iPhone and/or iPods, it is going to happen in the next 5 weeks (minus 1 week for earnings) or wait until 2012. A November release is very unlikely considering the sheer amount of items slated for release, then with the first software update coming the next month.

2. Is the health of Steve Jobs affecting this in any way? (Remember it was 6 months prior that he was reported visiting a cancer clinic).

3. All the speculation, while interesting & helps to pass the time, is pointless. Apple already knows what it is going and not going to do. We just wish Apple would get on with it!
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kurtmac View Post

Rumors for… …September release of new iPhone were false…

You can't possibly know that yet. No one can.

Quote:

it is going to have happen in the next 5 weeks

Nothing "has" to happen at any time. We only believe things happen when they usually do because of certain trends and preexisting notions.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can't possibly know that yet. No one can.

Nothing "has" to happen at any time. We only believe things happen when they usually do because of certain trends and preexisting notions.

Apologies, but the September 23 rumor for a new iPhone is not going to happen (today is Sept, 19), considering that Apple will host an event either when or before it is released (to demo the new hardware). You must factor in the arrangements for the event, including travel time for those not in California (7 days min. which puts us to Sept. 26 with then only a few days left in the month).

Also, I was speculating, if you had not noticed that. I do not pretend to know what is going to happen, merely speculating to what is likely or not.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Agreed... Up to now, with literally every iteration of the iPhone, Apple has surprised me with some feature or property that I didn't see coming. With the 2G it was the iPhone itself, with the 3G it was the app store, with the 3GS it was the enourmous speed bump, and with the 4 it was the retina screen and the general design. So most likely the 5 will again have one unexpected killer feature or something else about it that makes will surprise me, I'm just not sure what it will be.

That said, if they only do a speed bump, the iPhone 5 will still be a fantastic phone. Probably I won't upgrade from my 3GS though, but that's just because the 3GS itself is such a great device. Apple actually did a little too well, seeing that I wouldn't be bothered too much using my 3GS for three full years

I have had the 3GS since day one to replace my 1st gen. Video was the feature I had to have because I was having a baby at the time. FaceTime was not some thing I really wanted till the user base was larger so I didn't mind not up grading when the 4 came out. Now though after draining the battery at least once a day for two+ years it is showing signs that the battery is pretty much worn out. From a full charge in the morning it's down to 20% or less by the middle of the day. The worse part is that if you do anything battery intensive (like try to take a picture) while the phone is low it will often do a hard crash and need a complete restart. So I am really looking forward to a new phone. Once I do have a new phone I might try to swap out the battery or just put it on a dock next to the couch to use as a apple tv remote. I wish Apple would put out a home theater receiver to replace my stupid Sony (what a terrible UI)
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Apologies, but the September 23 rumor for a new iPhone is not going to happen (today is Sept, 19), considering that Apple will host an event either when or before it is released (to demo the new hardware). You must factor in the arrangements for the event, including travel time for those not in California (7 days min. which puts us to Sept. 26 with then only a few days left in the month).

You can't say anything until it has already happened. The month isn't over yet.

Similarly, you can't say that there won't be an iPad 2.5 in 2011 because 2011 isn't over yet.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

My wife and I each have an iPhone 3GS, and depending on what Apple unveils this year will determine if we'll be sticking with the iPhone or not. The reviews for the Epic Touch 4G Lightning look positive.

Back when the iPhone 3GS was released, Apple was still the smart phone leader for all to copy. The environment has shifted considerably since then. Apple is now playing catchup with iOS 4, and especially, 5. Android phones have long supported larger touch screens and dual-core processors, and they already support 3D, speech to text and widgets.

Apple's insistence on releasing one major OS and hardware update a year is seriously letting the competition blow past them with continual updates.

Which as others have pointed out explains why the iPhone 4 and 3GS are the two top selling phones, and which, as I haven't seen pointed out in this thread, Apple has actually gained a few relative points of share recently over Android (mostly as RIM has gone into crash and burn mode and Symbian decays).

Add Sprint and likely T-Mobile plus that big CDMA company in China with even a minor upgrade and both of those trends will continue.

My two cents:

-The "delay" (if delay it is as "departure from [a three year old] tradition]) - is more related to getting all the software and cloud parts working right rather than from any issues with the hardware, which I think could have been delivered months ago - unless they were waiting on a particular radio chip for a power-sipping, SKU-slicing-in-half world phone. All your stuff everywhere with barely having to think of it is the big Kahuna that will give Apple a huge leg up on both MS and Google in the next phases of the endless digital revolution. And is an area where they've already failed multiple times to break beyond a niche with poor launches, overpriced services, etc. And I think they have an eye trained on Amazon as well, with the only other real software/merchandising ecosystem.

-Two new phones, yes, neither 4G.

-3.7-3.9" screen (any bigger and no claim of "retina") on the main upgrade - with zero-1mm increase in chassis width, and no overall increase in volume. Most people, and especially most women I know don't want to carry around a nerdy Godzilla phone.

-No iPad Pro or 2.5 or etc. this year - which I realize is talk that's died down. Mentioned again here because I feel iOS 5 will be a major enough upgrade itself for this line (and another argument for those who think the phones themselves won't change much hardware-wise).

-Despite the total blackout, some changes to the iPod line - hopefully ones which will re-invigorate its reason for being since the phones and pads have removed much of what made it so revolutionary. Touches are great gaming machines - perhaps some enhancements along this line??

But I don't buy the 5" or so model with or without 3G - as it would either not have a "retina display" or a very costly screen to fully double the pixels - and would effectively be a small iPad. Just doesn't play from either angle.

-A 3G Skype capable touch with a better camera though? Pros and cons. A 128 Touch to eclipse the Classic? Don't follow memory chip prices enough to know if that's feasible. No one seems to think the phone's going to 64 GB, which may answer that question.

-Fewer pod models? Apple's never been afraid to consolidate for whatever reasons.

-Dark Horse pick: a refresh of Apple TV with access to the store and apps on the home screen.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

My wife and I each have an iPhone 3GS, and depending on what Apple unveils this year will determine if we'll be sticking with the iPhone or not. The reviews for the Epic Touch 4G Lightning look positive.

Back when the iPhone 3GS was released, Apple was still the smart phone leader for all to copy. The environment has shifted considerably since then. Apple is now playing catchup with iOS 4, and especially, 5. Android phones have long supported larger touch screens and dual-core processors, and they already support 3D, speech to text and widgets.

Apple's insistence on releasing one major OS and hardware update a year is seriously letting the competition blow past them with continual updates.

You'll have to excuse me while I call bullcrap on your comment. Even the original iPhone is better than ANY Android phone because of one simple fact: it runs iOS. If all you care about is arbitrary hardware specs, then you should go get the Lightning today because the iPhone will NEVER be about winning the king-of-the-spec-mountain competition. How could a fractionally larger screen and a different looking enclosure be THAT important to you? If you can't appreciate the merit of iOS and everything the iPhone stands for, then the faster you switch to Android the better. Considering Apple now has a 25 BILLION dollar cushion over second place Exxon as the WEALTHIEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD, you won't be missed.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

Also, I was speculating, if you had not noticed that. I do not pretend to know what is going to happen, merely speculating to what is likely or not.

This is something I've been thinking about as well. I think Apple will give the press some time before the announcement, but it's only going to be 3-4 days tops. As long as they host the event in a major city, they don't really need to allow people from all over the country to attend. Hell, if they even just recorded the event themselves and allowed the various news outlets and blogs to use the footage, it would still be a monumentally popular launch because there's SO much pent up demand for the iPhone 5. As far as I'm concerned, I'd much rather be able to watch a live stream of the announcement instead of having all the various blogs invited. I can't tell you how sick I am of searching for bootleg streams of Apple events just so I can watch like everyone else.

I hope they give maybe 2 days heads up, allow whoever to come that can make it, and post a public link for anyone else to watch.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

If I were trying to protect my sources, I would've blurred out that QR code! I doubt it's really an issue, but Apple could probably use that to track down which plant, which line, etc. the leak came from.

Anyone with a QR code reader.... what does it say?
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

If I were trying to protect my sources, I would've blurred out that QR code! I doubt it's really an issue, but Apple could probably use that to track down which plant, which line, etc. the leak came from.

I tried to scan the code to see what info was on it but can't get a read!
  • Reply 31 of 32
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Back when the iPhone 3GS was released, Apple was still the smart phone leader for all to copy.

They still are.

Quote:

The environment has shifted considerably since then.

Not really.

Quote:

Apple is now playing catchup with iOS 4, and especially, 5.

That is silly.

Quote:

Android phones have long supported larger touch screens and dual-core processors, and they already support 3D, speech to text and widgets.

Apple has the best touch screen in the business. That is a fact. No one really cares about dual core processors. Ditto on the other gimmicks, like 3D.

Quote:

You must be smoking crack. The iPhone still delivers a superior experience, especially with the screen quality and resolution. Many phones have technically better specs, but none delivers quite the experience the iPhone and iOS do, especially when the App Store is factored in.