Purported iPhone 5 pics with A5 chip appear to actually be iPhone 4S

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A series of photos depicting new iPhone logic board and related components have been advertised as belonging to iPhone 5, but actually appear to be "iPhone 4S," a redesigned, faster iPhone 4 model expected to target lower-end markets.

A report by Mike Webb of MacPost notes that additional photos of the purported iPhone 5 internals have appeared that depict "the other side" of the picture, showing an external case virtually identical to today's iPhone 4.

Flipped over, the logic board of the same device appears to include an A5 chip (like that used in the iPad 2), but also a new rear camera ribbon cable with a right angle, appearing identical to parts previously identified as being destined for iPhone 5.

Together, the pictures suggest that Apple's rumored iPhone 4S will be a faster version of the iPhone 4, incorporating an A5 chip and other component changes that should enable Apple to continue selling the model as its entry level iPhone as it also introduces a new iPhone 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    9to5 debunked this image.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_peripheral View Post

9to5 debunked this image.

Debunked that it was an iPhone 5? Or that it was an iPhone 4S? Or that it was an actual photograph of an upcoming Apple product?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    why the obsession? just wait till it comes out... it's like spoiling the end of a movie.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Debunked that it was an iPhone 5? Or that it was an iPhone 4S? Or that it was an actual photograph of an upcoming Apple product?

The latter.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The latter.

Thank you.

<end of thread>
  • Reply 6 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCenHou View Post

why the obsession? just wait till it comes out... it's like spoiling the end of a movie.

The narrator is Tyler Durden.

Rosebud is his sled.

Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Norman Bates dresses up as mother.

They we on Earth the whole time.

Verbal is Keyser Söze.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Aloha AppleInsider forums. First post here, but I wanted to just make an observation on all this iphone 4s vs. iphone 5 rumors.

From a business standpoint, what would compel apple to ship an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, while also shipping an iphone 5 with the same?

If the iphone 4s model is supposed to be a "budget" handset, I really can't see them putting anything other than an A4 processor in it. It would really handicap the flagship if the budget phone ships with the same processor.

The really bad news is that if there really is an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, I doubt we're seeing an iphone 5 until next year.

I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG ON THIS. It's like betting on Mayweather, and hoping Ortiz wins. Haha.

What do you folks think?
  • Reply 8 of 37
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Can you say iPhone? Nice try.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poiboy005 View Post

Aloha AppleInsider forums. First post here, but I wanted to just make an observation on all this iphone 4s vs. iphone 5 rumors.

From a business standpoint, what would compel apple to ship an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, while also shipping an iphone 5 with the same?

If the iphone 4s model is supposed to be a "budget" handset, I really can't see them putting anything other than an A4 processor in it. It would really handicap the flagship if the budget phone ships with the same processor.

The really bad news is that if there really is an iphone 4s with an A5 processor, I doubt we're seeing an iphone 5 until next year.

I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG ON THIS. It's like betting on Mayweather, and hoping Ortiz wins. Haha.

What do you folks think?

There are reasons for moving to better and newer components for cheaper devices. Economics of scale. I don't think that will happen, but that scenario should be considered, especially with mass produced electronics.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    I think it is pretty clear that Apple is going to offer 2 models.

Apple needs a cheaper model to enter China and make a strong push in India which account for almost 1/2 of the worlds population.

There will be a iPhone 4s and iPhone 5.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    1) iPhone 4 with 8GB as entry-level iPhone for $49 subsidized. Maybe cheaper materials to lower cost.

2) iPhone 5 with A5. Slightly different design, more RAM memory and faster to get people to upgrade.

3) iPhone 3GS with A4 as a pre-paid phone. Can run iOS5.

That's what I think.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Same SoC != same speed though, I hope someone benchmarks it to see if the CPU or GPU aren't crippled in some way or how much throttling kicks in.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    How the hell am I meant to fit that in my pocket!!! ...

Or

Nice external antenna array ..
  • Reply 14 of 37
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poiboy005 View Post

What do you folks think?

They can manufacture 1 processor for all of the iPhones and iPads. This makes it cheaper. Ship a cheaper handset with the 3.5" screen and 8gb flash and the premium iPhone with the larger screen and more flash. By using the one CPU they can use lower grade units in the cheaper phone by under clocking them (the same way chip manufacturers work with modern CPUs) or using just a single core.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    It's a 4Gs....No! It's an iphone 5! No! It's an iphone 4Gs! No!....

Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop the insanity!

LOL. Seriously. Every day it goes back and forth like this. Enough already. Sheesh.

We will all find out in a few weeks what it is for sure. Until then no more articles about this ok?

But of course it will continue. You can't stop the iphone madness.

I just saw the movie Contagion, and it's alot like that. Lol.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Rosebud is his sled.

Verbal is Keyser Söze.

Damn you Solipsism - six movies ruined!
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:

Rosebud is his sled.

Verbal is Keyser Söze.

Side note:

I think you meant to say...

They were on Earth the whole time

In reference to Planet of the Apes?
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Apple needs a cheaper model to enter China and make a strong push in India which account for almost 1/2 of the worlds population.

A "cheaper phone" is completely meaningless when the plans still require data.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

iPhone 3GS with A4 as a pre-paid phone.

Absolute insanity.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen, modified

The other two things I said plus continuing to sell the iPhone 3GS as a pre-paid phone.

I LOVE THIS IDEA.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Same SoC != same speed though, I hope someone benchmarks it to see if the CPU or GPU aren't crippled in some way or how much throttling kicks in.

Apple has been doing this forever already. The first iPhone was 600MHz downclocked to 412. The first iPod touch was 600MHz downclocked to 400 until 1.1.4 brought it up to 412.

The 3G (and maybe S?) was (/were?) downclocked as well.

FRIGGING LION, DOWNCLOCKED IS ONE WORD.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

Rosebud is his sled.

Verbal is Keyser Söze.

The ship sinks
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A "cheaper phone" is completely meaningless when the plans still require data.

One would think so, yes. But look at the "success" RIM and the Android makers have had with their BOGO deals.