Netflix spins off its DVD-by-mail service as Qwikster

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Exactly. Further, Starz original content like Spartacus and Camelot were quite good.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

You are glad to see 8% of the content you pay for disappear with nothing announced to replace it?

• Reply 122 of 127
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    You know how Apple would have death with this. Keep the old product. Come out with a new product. When the old product is no longer profitable, kill it.

I kept Netflix after the increase. However, I ditched streaming. I watched all the good content, and Netflix hasn't been replacing it. Netflix essentially pushed me into a plan that costs me less and it more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Doesnt matter WHAT they name it....in a couple of years mailing DVDs will be as rare as the corner video store. If Netflix doesn't switch gears now and shift to a predominantly streaming model....they will go out of business. Simple as that. They are just preparing for the inevitable. Could they have marketed it better? Sure. But the stock took a hit because wall street felt by switching the emphasis to a streaming business model, that their expensive DVD warehouses would collect dust and hurt them financially. Not because some people cancelled their subscriptions. They have millions of subscribers, and as The streaming business grows, more people will make the switch. Overtime they will close their warehouses, and their stock price will go back up. Personally i dont care, since i am not an investor. Lol

• Reply 123 of 127
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Netflix streaming blows. I'd say realistically that 80% of their selection is just complete low-rated garbage.

Netflix would kick ass if they had what was available on the DVD rental side available on the instant streaming side.

The ironic thing is piracy is the concern/reason for not having that content available on the streaming side, and yet ripping a DVD is easier than ripping a live stream.

The reason why Netflix doesn't have all that content available for streaming is because either the content owners don't want it streamed or because the price the content owners want for streaming via Netflix is more than Netflix wants to pay. This is not Netlfix thinking, "we don't want to stream this because of X".
  • Reply 124 of 127
    Don't forget that you will also need to manage two separate queues.

Add me into that count of 1,000,00 subscribers lost due to this move.

While it is only 1/25 of their total subscriber base, it is still $10,000,000/month income lost.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Wow! how stupid. They have this great brand name. Technology would allow them to integrate the services like they are currently doing. But now they want us to go to two different websites and have two different logins. This makes no sense!

• Reply 125 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

The reason why Netflix doesn't have all that content available for streaming is because either the content owners don't want it streamed or because the price the content owners want for streaming via Netflix is more than Netflix wants to pay. This is not Netlfix thinking, "we don't want to stream this because of X".

The content owners don't want it streamed because of a fear of piracy. The reasoning is all there as I said.

As far as streaming vs DVD, you can go to a red box and rent a bluray for literally half, sometimes even less, than what it costs to rent a video stream from places like youtube, so it makes no sense for to say the cost difference is the reasoning.

Think of it this way: How often do you rent a DVD from one of those kiosk things? Like MAYBE twice a month? That describes me. Netflix is 8 bucks a month, and offers a steady income stream to Netflix, so in the end, yes, I would be paying more for a streaming service than I would to go actually rent the film, and I know I know, sitting at home, you could watch all kinds of movies and really get your money's worth in comparison. If that's the case, in the very LEAST Netflix should move to an "online kiosk" business model and allow anything on DVD be rented for an upfront cost.

I dunno, it just all seems silly.
  • Reply 126 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Terrible ?trendy? new name

Trendy 10 years ago.
  • Reply 127 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

I've never had handbrake fail on a disc that wasn't damaged, but if you have, just use makemkv. It's free for DVD but costs for BluRay, I think.

So you can get Handbrake to work on Disney movies?