Report reaffirms Apple's forthcoming white iPod touch with few changes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A new report echoes previous details about Apple's forthcoming iPod touch refresh, suggesting the 2011 model will be largely unchanged with the exception of a new color option: white.

When it is announced in the coming weeks, the new iPod touch will be a "very minor change," MacRumors reported on Tuesday. In addition to a new white model, the hardware will reportedly receive an oleophobic coating on the display and a revised ambient light sensor.

The report reaffirms details shared by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo with AppleInsider in July, when it was first reported that a white iPod touch will launch this year but the hardware will remain largely the same as the device Apple released in 2010. The iPod now represents about 5 percent of Apple's revenue, and the majority of that comes from the iPod touch, which accounted for more than half of the 7.54 million iPods Apple sold last quarter.

Kuo also revealed last week that the new white iPod touch will use a different lamination process than is used for the iPhone. As a result, the new white iPod touch will look "a little different" than the white iPhone, he said.

Author Arnold Kim added on Tuesday that the new iPod touch models are expected to arrive the first week in October, and are likely to go on sale in the middle of the month. He also said that the iPod nano will receive a "minor revision."

The report also added that Apple is expected to release the Golden Master build of iOS 5 on Sept. 23, one day after the company will reset iCloud data for developers testing the pre-release software. That date also aligns with what Kuo told AppleInsider last week.

Apple's own beta software of iOS 5 has provided evidence that this year's iPod touch refresh will be minor, as the pre-release build includes references to an unreleased iPod identified as "4,2." That suggests that a new iPod touch will not be significantly different from the fourth-generation model released in 2010, as a major hardware update would presumably carry an "iPod 5,1" identifier.

Additional evidence of a white iPod touch has been seen in the form of leaked components from overseas suppliers. They have shown a white front panel, as well as a headphone jack that would fit the new model's color scheme.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report echoes previous details about Apple's forthcoming iPod touch refresh, suggesting the 2011 model will be largely unchanged with the exception of a new color option: white. ...

This should really say, "a new rumour from another blog based on an unknown source."
  • Reply 2 of 17
    The question is....will it see an A5?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Or a camera that takes a better photo than cameras that come in Cracker Jack boxes?

Or GPS?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I'm betting that the "product transition" mentioned by Tim Cook

would be the iPod Touch with phone capabilities calling it as iPhone 4+ or iPhone 4s.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    This disappoints me as I was hoping the rumors of a 3G iPod touch might be true. Just give them prepaid data plans like the 3G iPad has.

With the new iPods only being a minor upgrade, hopefully a price drop is in the works. I'd like to see the $229 model upgraded to 16gb and/or drop to $199. Maybe the 32gb and 64gb should get a $50 price drop to go to $249 and $349 respectively.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

would be the iPod Touch with phone capabilities calling it as iPhone 4+ or iPhone 4s.

I'm hoping. iPad style 3G + GPS.

Voice is a minor feature for most of the iPod touch universe, at least in the US. But internet access and location awareness are huge. VOIP could be enormously disruptive and I hope Apple does it eventually.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    So something that represents over 50% of Apples iPod sales only gets some white paint. I don't buy it.

At the very least I would expect improvements to make iOS 5 shine. That doesn't mean a new case or radical external changes, but it does mean more RAM, possibly a faster processor and other tweaks. More importantly they need a fat model. That is a unit with greater flash storage.

Now maybe wishing for all of those is a little much but I would expect that Apple would want the thing to run well with iOS5 and thus be guided by that in the next update.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

Or a camera that takes a better photo than cameras that come in Cracker Jack boxes?

Or GPS?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

This disappoints me as I was hoping the rumors of a 3G iPod touch might be true. Just give them prepaid data plans like the 3G iPad has.

Couldn't agree more. It will be disappointing if there isn't an iPod touch with something new: bigger screen, 3G, better camera, etc. They probably have to keep a model with the current features to keep a low-price option available. But hopefully there will be a "super" iPod touch, too.

Slightly off-note:

Quote:

The iPod now represents about 5 percent of Apple's revenue, and the majority of that comes from the iPod touch, which accounted for more than half of the 7.54 million iPods Apple sold last quarter.

I can't help but think that part of the reason is that the rest of the iPod line-up is so lackluster. The Classic hasn't been updated in years and the nano is essentially a crippled version of what is used to be. Hopefully they'll revert the nano back to something similar to the older models, just like they admitted their mis-steps with the buttonless shuffle and went back to the old design. I have only seen one of the new nanos in the wild since they were introduced, and I don't think it's entirely due to the popularity of the iPod touch. It's in part due to the other iPod's being poor options.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Come on, Apple...

An iPod with VoIP functionality built-in would rock. Tie it with a whole area code or 4 at the new datacenter and BOOM! You own.

Or... forget POTS-style telephone numbers. Use peoples' Apple ID as a contact method, much like how it is in iMessage for iOS5.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    "report reaffirms..."???

C'mon. My echo always agrees with me. I must be right.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Voice is a minor feature for most of the iPod touch universe, at least in the US. But internet access and location awareness are huge. VOIP could be enormously disruptive and I hope Apple does it eventually.

I don't see it as that disruptive. Not that many people are going to buy a Touch and use Skype...especially over 3G compared to those who would buy an iPhone. Most users would be kids, teens, college students, and those who cannot get a contract with the big carrierrs....

BUT....a 3G enabled iPod Touch would make a fantastic gateway device for future iPhone users. Get them hooked early and when they are old enough and make enough $$$...poof..instant iPhone owner.

Right now I am due for an upgrade on AT&T so I can walk away without an EFT. If there was a 3G iPod Touch, I would cancel my AT&T account (my line really as I am an extra phone on my wife's account) and just pay for a monthly data plan.

If Apple does as expected and just make YET ANOTHER minor change to the iPod Touch I will just keep buggering on with my 3 year old iPod Touch and old iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Nobody knows for sure what Apple will do. But i strongly feel this rumor is dead wrong. Just an option for a "white" ipod. Thats it? Gimme a break. I doubt it.

For one thing, the biggest complaint about the last ipod touch was the crappy camera. Apple knows this, and i think they will address it in this update. People are expecting it. Especially if the iphone 5 is suppose to get a new 8 mega pixel camera. The ipod touch update should at least get the iphone 4's 5 megapixel camera. At least thats my thought. More people are using the ipod for facetime, and as a camera. So it makes sense Apple will address this area.

Also with iOS 5 and more demanding apps, it's not unreasonable to expect the ipod touch to get the A5 chip.

Lastly, with the icloud coming and its emphasis on always being "connected", it's not too far fetched to think that a 3G ipod touch won't be offered as well.

The ipod touch hasn't had a major bump since the cameras were added, and they were crappy cameras at that! Cool at the time....but kinda lacking now. People are demanding

Better quality. And those cameras aren't cutting it anymore. So i think better cameras are a given. Thats my best bet. But the other two things, the A5 and 3G are a good possibility IMHO.

I guess we will find out in a few weeks if that rumor of the tear drop design actually being the ipod touch is true or not. But regardless, a larger screen is another possible change.

Should be interesting. More interesting than just a white ipod. :-)
  • Reply 13 of 17
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

And if not, why not on a machine that's rocking in the portable gaming world?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

Or GPS?

Really, when phone cams are really pretty good, why stick with such an inferior cam in an Apple labeled product (in the category that gave it a slingshot boost that hasn't stopped yet).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

Quote:

Ifffffy.. ...nice, but I'll be surprised.......

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

With the new iPods only being a minor upgrade, hopefully a price drop is in the works. I'd like to see the $229 model upgraded to 16gb and/or drop to $199. Maybe the 32gb and 64gb should get a $50 price drop to go to $249 and $349 respectively.

Suppose this could be a strategy and some compensation if the low-balling speculations are right.....
  • Reply 14 of 17
    The limited number of responses on this article might be an indication of the general lack of love for the iPod touch. A rumor of a rumor of a change to the box the iPhone comes in would probably generate 100's of posts.

You could read that as validation that the iPod touch needs a hefty upgrade to kick it in gear, or you could come to the opposite conclusion - why bother if no one cares?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

The limited number of responses on this article might be an indication of the general lack of love for the iPod touch. A rumor of a rumor of a change to the box the iPhone comes in would probably generate 100's of posts.

You could read that as validation that the iPod touch needs a hefty upgrade to kick it in gear, or you could come to the opposite conclusion - why bother if no one cares?

The current Touch being half of Apples iPod sales ought to say something about the importance of keeping it relevant.

As to the Touch and MP3's man of them aren't even being purchase for that. Instead i see a large number of them at corporations where people use them as "Day Timers" and address books. It is a cheaper alternative to the ultra high prices of owning an iPhone. The Touch as a modern PDA must be a significant portion of sales these days.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The current Touch being half of Apples iPod sales ought to say something about the importance of keeping it relevant.

As to the Touch and MP3's man of them aren't even being purchase for that. Instead i see a large number of them at corporations where people use them as "Day Timers" and address books. It is a cheaper alternative to the ultra high prices of owning an iPhone. The Touch as a modern PDA must be a significant portion of sales these days.

I cant see them adding 3G to the iPod Touch. Would it be nice, absolutely. I just cant see them add 3G + GPS to an already thin form factor (if they keep the same body).

A better camera is more likely. White will be an option too..

Expectations on low...need a replacement of my broken 3rd gen Touch...just waiting if I will get a 5th Gen or buy a 4th Gen on clearance.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    If you want a phone buy an iPhone. I want a portable media player not a stripped down iPhone.

Scrap the iPod Touch and replace it with the iPlay. Faster processor/graphics + 5-6" screen to bridge the gap between the iPhone and the iPad. Perfect for portable gamers. Could also double as a controller for playing games at home on your big screen TV via AppeTV.

Then rebrand the iPod Nano as the default iPod - thiner, lighter with more memory. Wear it however you like - watch, clip on, built into your clothing, etc for those who just want a portable music player.