Apple continues 'unstoppable' winning streak in customer satisfaction

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Apple's score of 87 is a part of "the personal computer business" as well, thus helping to "raise" the average to 78.

You're right, of course. My bad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I just wished the Genius Bar employees were more knowledgeable about their own products and services. From my experience, anything outside of basic troubleshooting steps stump them.

I love that my 2009 MacBook Pro has an issue charbroiling power cables and their response is just to give me a new cable -- or a discount on a cable. That's nice, but how about actually fixing the problem? I'll upgrade my MacBook Pro next year anyways, but the issue is annoying as well when the laptop can no longer charge and I have to fight with the Apple Store employees to replace the cable yet again.

I purchased the MacBook Pro a week after Mac OS X Snow Leopard was released; however, the box only included Mac OS X Leopard. I returned to the store the next day and they had the attitude of "how come you didn't return to the store immediately?" Umm... because I purchased the Mac during the evening and I didn't open the box as soon as I walked out of the store. I ate dinner with family, did some shopping and then went home. They had the attitude like I was trying to scam for a free disc. After a week of arguing with them, they admitted they sold me an opened box MacBook Pro for full price and the previous owner returned the Mac the exact same day I purchased it so they probably didn't verify all the contents were there. Hell, if I knew it was used, I wouldn't have bought it.

A few years ago, I had an iMac whose Mac partition would get hosed from trying to install any Microsoft Windows or Linux flavor via Bootcamp. Their response was just to talk to Microsoft about the issue. Umm... okay. The exact same Microsoft Windows discs work fine now with later revisions of Bootcamp.

From personal experience:

- Dell customer support is atrocious. They deliberately dicked me around about a dead laptop until the warranty expired and then played the "it's outside the warranty" card. I'll never buy from Dell again.

- Asus has gone to extreme measures to keep me happy. I had a Blu-ray Burner that was not properly reading dics, so they sent me a new one and told me to keep the old one.

- Apple been in the middle for me. It's nice talking to real human, but their tech support knowledge seems limited.

Which simply points out that anecdotal evidence is useless. When a large number of people are surveyed, Apple consistently comes out on top - by a large margin. They're not perfect, nor did they ever claim to be. There will always be some cases where they drop the ball. But ON AVERAGE, Apple wins - year after year after year.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who the fuck wants a Dell?

According to the best stats I could find, more than twice the number of people who want a Mac.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/13/...u-s-pc-market/
  • Reply 43 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Your first statement is factually incorrect. Your second statement is a sales pitch intended to gain customers.

Do you know the name and address of his business?
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Someone needs to learn some math skills. If HP was the best of the lot at 78, how could the average be 78 - unless everyone else was also 78? Since Dell and Acer were lower, the average couldn't be 78.

[Deleted, after reading Newbee's comment]
  • Reply 45 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The ACSI numbers com from interviews

After a nearly typo-free weekend...
  • Reply 46 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

According to the best stats I could find, more than twice the number of people who want a Mac.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/13/...u-s-pc-market/

You're conflating corporate and personal purchases.

Frankly, most people (note I did not say 'all') that can afford a Mac for their personal purchase would not go near a Dell.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    I'm so glad I'm not a moron when it comes to computers.

Not saying everyone who buys a Mac is a moron, and I use the word moron figuratively, but I've NEVER had to deal with customer support for anything PC related.

Cars on the other hand, I'm right there with the moronic masses
  • Reply 48 of 68
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Someone needs to learn some math skills. If HP was the best of the lot at 78, how could the average be 78 - unless everyone else was also 78? Since Dell and Acer were lower, the average couldn't be 78.

Indeed they do. Apple is part of the Personal Computer Industry...

[Somebody beat me to it ]
  • Reply 49 of 68
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Not saying everyone who buys a Mac is a moron, and I use the word moron figuratively, but I've NEVER had to deal with customer support for anything PC related.

The motherboard in your laptop might die on a machine under warranty. You would buy your own and rebuild it yourself? Stick a yet in there somewhere and it will be fine.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    Quote:

Wow!

Quote:

There, fixed it.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow!

yeah that's right, genius, leave out the rest of the comment, that doesn't make you look idiotic
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The motherboard in your laptop might die on a machine under warranty. You would buy your own and rebuild it yourself? Stick a yet in there somewhere and it will be fine.

Actually, yes. Ebay of all places, go figure. I can disassemble a laptop and put it back together just fine. I've had to do this before for a friend, and I admit, the part I had issues with was over the phone with an Indian MS customer service rep, trying to explain all we did was switch the motherboard, nothing changed (it was saying the OS had to be re-registered and the key was used too much.)

So I guess technically, I HAVE had to deal with pc customer support, through Microsoft, but they have the os setup so that you can't just go around installing it on as many machines as you want.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    Quote:

yeah that's right, genius, leave out the rest of the comment, that doesn't make you look idiotic

See above.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    Quote:

See above.

Did that really change anything.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    Quote:

See above.

I mean, do you understand what I'm saying? That wasn't meant to be an insult to anyone, I'm just glad that out of all the things in life I'm a moron with, computers ISN'T one of them
  • Reply 56 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Yes. See where I said I'm a moron with things like cars? See where I explained I wasn't using moron as an insult to everyone who buys a Mac?

Right over your head (or horns rather. Trolls have horns, right? jk)
  • Reply 57 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I mean, do you understand what I'm saying? That wasn't meant to be an insult to anyone, I'm just glad that out of all the things in life I'm a moron with, computers ISN'T one of them

I see what you're saying but I would say that being willing to buy a motherboard on Ebay to fix a laptop puts you more into the "enthusiast" category rather than merely "non-moronic."

I imagine that there are lots of people who are very well versed in the ins and outs of their computer, software and hardware, people who might even be able to do component swaps, if pressed, but don't, because they feel it is a waste of their time.

It's an old point of contention between Mac and PC users-- the notion that because one might chose a platform not only less capable of being tinkered with, but less likely to need tinkering, that that is a sign of ignorance regarding all things computer.

Whereas I would say that the vast majority of PC and Mac users alike are completely clueless as to the inner workings of their machines (I mean surely those millions of office drones aren't prepared to field strip their aging Dells) and of the ones aren't Mac users just can find better uses for their time.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Quote:

Yes. See where I said I'm a moron with things like cars? See where I explained I wasn't using moron as an insult to everyone who buys a Mac?

Right over your head (or horns rather. Trolls have horns, right? jk)

Your post wasn't a reply to anyone. Therefore the first sentence, to me, wasn't an insult to anyone. It stood on its own to say that you weren't a moron when it came to understanding computers. I saw no reference to other Mac users... or anyone for that matter. So, no, adding the rest of the post didn't change anything... anantksundaram was just congratulating you on your superb abilities.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Quote:

Hmm... I've built my first PC about 1991, and I've built dozens of them for myself and friends over the years. In addition to that, I worked for one of the many failed PC clone assemblers for a year, so I'm built literally hundreds of PCs. I worked with Windows as a desktop guy in a corporate environment since Windows NT 3.5. I moved over to Unix in 1998, and worked on the top of the line HP Superdome systems for over 5 years. I've done some networking stuff, web development, tons of scripting in a few different languages. I'm just giving you my abbreviated resume to hopefully illustrate that I'm not one of the "moronic masses"...

I bought my first Mac Pro about 3.5 years ago, yeah it took me a LOT longer than most to get completely fed up with M$. In that time I've had a hard drive fail, and a video card fail twice (although the first and second failures were actually a misdiagnosed logic board issue), and then a failed logic board. Suffice to say, I've had to deal with Apple customer support a handful of times.

So does having to deal with Apple customer support to go thru the warranty process make me a moron? Trust me, without advanced Apple diagnostic software/hardware nobody would have caught the logic board failure.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Your guess is as good as mine.