Motorola to take another stab at Apple's iPad with new 7-inch tablet

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

7" tablets are sooooo small (and the iPad isn't really that big in the first place...)

I misread - ignore me. :x

But yes, the 7" tablets are catastrophically small in comparison. You're loosing, what, 50% real-estate there?
  • Reply 62 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

But yes, the 7" tablets are catastrophically small in comparison. You're loosing, what, 50% real-estate there?

It's all in what you want to use it for. Real estate for what need? The 7" on the right is simply more appealing to my needs than another nearly full sized screen (ignoring the model, of course). It's less than a workhorse size, more than a phone.

Naturally (as I alluded to before) the lack of marketability makes sense for a high quality version. If it costs nearly as much to make as a 10" one it's not going to sell for $175 less, and there goes the buying incentive anyway, so it's not a market of who would want one, it's who would make any money on one.

Apple's competition is not going to be in comparable hardware, though. It''ll be in if anyone can put out a decent tablet at a loss and make it up tenfold with 3rd party content partnerships. If Random House or Conde Nast subsidizes a Nook style tablet that browses well and hooks into their content it could do well, while tapping into a different niche than Apple is. Where they've missed the boat so far is in thinking that participating with B & N would be enough of a draw, instead of aggressively getting them into users' hands.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    Quote:

Props on "catastrophically small" wording!

• Reply 64 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Did you now know that Microsoft has been selling tablet versions of Windows with handwriting recognition since the early 1990s? They've been at it longer than EVERYONE.

You mean like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_(platform)

The MessagePad line was early 90's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MessagePad
  • Reply 65 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

It's all in what you want to use it for. Real estate for what need? The 7" on the right is simply more appealing to my needs than another nearly full sized screen (ignoring the model, of course). It's less than a workhorse size, more than a phone.

Naturally (as I alluded to before) the lack of marketability makes sense for a high quality version. If it costs nearly as much to make as a 10" one it's not going to sell for $175 less, and there goes the buying incentive anyway, so it's not a market of who would want one, it's who would make any money on one.

Apple's competition is not going to be in comparable hardware, though. It''ll be in if anyone can put out a decent tablet at a loss and make it up tenfold with 3rd party content partnerships. If Random House or Conde Nast subsidizes a Nook style tablet that browses well and hooks into their content it could do well, while tapping into a different niche than Apple is. Where they've missed the boat so far is in thinking that participating with B & N would be enough of a draw, instead of aggressively getting them into users' hands.

Yes I agree its all about what the end user wants - you wouldn't buy a Xeon MacPro to play Farm Vill (good sweet mike I hate that game SO much) all day. The blackberry pulls off the 7" form factor very, very well. I almost bought one in place of my iPad 2. Though at the end of the day I got the iPad2 since its much more comfortable to do more of the tasks I want on the larger screen and, IMHO, I think a lot of these tasks are much easier and much more comfortable to do on a larger screen anyway. Answering an email? Bigger keyboard that doesn't hog the screen. Reading a paper? Can fit more on the screen at once. So on and so forth.

I'm particularly fond of a newspaper app I use daily. The Metro. (you pinch and zoom to read, obviously)

Even with the pinch and zoom, I can't imagine an App like this on a 7".
  • Reply 66 of 67
    Quote:

Even with the pinch and zoom, I can't imagine an App like this on a 7".

Can't argue with that : ) But I can't remember the last time I read the news online formatted like that, so literally like a newspaper. Big picture is that it's wrong for the job and I wouldn't get a 7" if I wanted to read newspapers or do gaming. But I think as a commuter's diversion, a smaller tablet has appeal. As it is what I view on the #2 train (The Onion Network, youtube finds) works well enough on my iPodTouch. A 10" tablet, though lots of people pull them out, is too unwieldy during rush hour.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Can't argue with that : ) But I can't remember the last time I read the news online formatted like that, so literally like a newspaper. Big picture is that it's wrong for the job and I wouldn't get a 7" if I wanted to read newspapers or do gaming. But I think as a commuter's diversion, a smaller tablet has appeal. As it is what I view on the #2 train (The Onion Network, youtube finds) works well enough on my iPodTouch. A 10" tablet, though lots of people pull them out, is too unwieldy during rush hour.

Can't argue with crowded trains. I use my iPad on the Metro every morning and if I'm standing up it can be a problem. Though it would be a problem with a 7" as well if you let go of the hand rail to tweak the tablet, only to have the driver get trigger happy with the breaks.

I guess that's where devices like the kindle or an iPod touch come in handy - they can be operated with one hand.