Samsung said to be plotting legal action against Apple's iPhone 5 in Europe

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Going beyond its home country of South Korea, Samsung may be be looking to ban the sale of Apple's still-unannounced iPhone 5 in Europe as well, according to a new report.

Citing a source familiar with the matter, Reuters reported on Tuesday that Samsung may seek an injunction against Apple's anticipated fifth-generation iPhone. That person apparently declined to say where Samsung would take legal action, but Maeil Business Newspaper reported that the lawsuit is expected to be filed in Europe.

The latest information comes soon after it was separately reported that Samsung is looking to ban Apple's fifth-generation iPhone after the product arrives in Korea. An anonymous senior executive at the company allegedly said that the company would take Apple to court, raising accusations of patent violations in its home country.

The reports would suggest that Samsung is plotting a global offensive to counter the release of Apple's so-called "iPhone 5," which is expected to be announced and released in the coming weeks. Samsung previously filed a legal request in the U.S. to see Apple's next iPhone, a move that the judge overseeing the case denied.

Rumors of even more legal spats across the globe come as the growing dispute between Apple and Samsung becomes even more complex. Last week, a former Samsung manager admitted to leaking information on the unreleased iPad while working for the company in 2009.

Apple's issues with Samsung are believed to have pushed the iPhone maker away from Samsung, which is a major supplier of components in Apple's portable devices. Specifically, Apple is expected to have its future processors set to power next-generation iPhone and iPad models built by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., not Samsung.

The legal patent war between the two rivals began in April when Apple sued Samsung, accusing the company of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad. Apple's legal action has led to a handful of victories, including a ban on sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Made me think of this with the plotting tag line:

Wonder if Apple could just buy Samsung at this point. Rumor indicates that hey need a TV manufacture, I do like their flat panels.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    This article further suggests that despite all efforts by Apple to get them to stop, Samsung will do and say anything to keep running it's aggressive copycat scam on Apple's non-tech savvy customers - a carefully crafted point-of-sale deception that tricks the shopper into believing that Samsung's imitations are equal to and better than Apple's products.

The scam begins with the rip-off with Samsung "slavishly copying" the look and feel of an iPhone or iPad. On demo, if both devices are turned off, side-by-side, except for minor differences, they look the same and a non-tech savvy shopper is easily confused. If a potential Apple customer visits on Samsung's website, http://www.samsung.com/us/#mobile-home, well, the Tab sure looks an awful lot like an iPad doesn't it, despite the strategically placed clock & weather tiles, cleverly leaving the 2 bottom rows of icons visible - icons Samsung "slavishly" copied from iOS - which makes the Tab look almost... almost look... almost feel...almost look and feel like an iPad!

Oops, I was wrong. There's nothing clever about the leaving the 2 bottom rows of icons visible.

Once the shopper is confused, the lies begin.

The slogan on the Galaxy Tab web page: "It's time for a better tablet, it's time to Tab" is a well phrased boldface lie.

Then, Samsung takes the Galaxy Tab's "superior weakness" ("better gaming and web surfing with Adobe Flash player") and reverse spins it to the non-tech savvy consumer as an important and needed bit of software that performs better and delivers a "superior experience" on the Tab, more so than on the non-Flash iPad. Those of you who have used a Tab know this is a boldface lie too.

Incredibly, in the same copy block, on the same line, is the another boldface lie: "And better multitasking with Android 3.1." Are you kidding me, Android 3.1 is less buggy than iOS? Only a non-tech savvy consumer could be tricked by this skillful lie, and that person is Samsung's mark - the non-tech savvy shopper who falls for the lies.

Even the packaging has been slavishly copied so that the mark is unaware he's been tricked until he gets home.

By copying the look and feel of Apple's products, Samsung tricks unsuspecting non-tech savvy shoppers who want an Apple device. into buying a Samsung imitation, which is of lower quality, and is minus the iOS & iTunes & App Store experience that the customer is shopping for in the first place.

That's the Samsung rip-off.

• Reply 3 of 37
    Samsung: We block Apple!

Apple: ROFLMAO

Judge: ROFLMAO

Fandroids: What's so funny?!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Apple has contractually locked up Samsung production, which allows Apple to maintain control of the supply of Samsung tablet screens, and thus for Apple to prevent competitors from bringing out hardware at cheaper prices.

This is a battle for supply control in addition IP disputes. I think Samsung is purposefully pursuing IP infringement to get Apple to cancel their contract with Samsung so Samsung can build their own devices and supply Apple's competitors.

Stakes are high for Apple in particular.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Made me think of this with the plotting tag line:

Wonder if Apple could just buy Samsung at this point. Rumor indicates that hey need a TV manufacture, I do like their flat panels.

I wonder what patent in the iPhone 5 they think they can go after that is not in the iPhone 4 unless they are hoping that Apple will make millions of iPhone 5's that they then can't get off their hands if they were able to get an injunction. Seems like a long shot though else you think they would have moved to stop the iPhone 4 already.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Next HeadLine: Apple deprives South Korea of the iPhone 5. Undoubtedly the gray market would supply the country just fine at premium prices.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Samsung barks a lot but they don't bite.

We hear about Apple's suits after they've been filed, but Samsung cant keep it's mouth shut.

So now Apple gets to be super ready for them.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Wouldn't surprise me if Samsung will try and ban the iPhone 6, iPhone 7, iPad 3, iPad 3S, iPhone 7G next month!
  • Reply 9 of 37
    So, if we're to believe Samsung's argument Steve Jobs furiously used to demand of his constituents at Apple's secret board meetings, "HOW ARE WE GOING TO COPY SAMSUNG!?! WE JUST CAN'T COMPETE WITH THEIR INNOVATION!"

They really expect anyone to buy this crap, or take them seriously ...?
  • Reply 10 of 37
    how can you sue someone for a future product that hasn't even been released yet? the only thing apple has remotely said of the iphone 5 is it's name.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    There is no way I'm going to buy any Samsung products in the future. I was considering one of their LCD TVs, but I just can't do it. I hope this whole thing blows up in their face
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

I wonder what patent in the iPhone 5 they think they can go after that is not in the iPhone 4 unless they are hoping that Apple will make millions of iPhone 5's that they then can't get off their hands if they were able to get an injunction. Seems like a long shot though else you think they would have moved to stop the iPhone 4 already.

Who says it has to be something new. They claim patent violations in the iPhone 4. All they need is to see that the same whatever is going to be in the iPhone 5
  • Reply 13 of 37
    I hope the best for Samsung. I hope they become the next Zenith.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hewsthat View Post

how can you sue someone for a future product that hasn't even been released yet? the only thing apple has remotely said of the iphone 5 is it's name.

After having read a few articles on the subject I guess Samsung's train of thoughts essentially is that as long as the iPhone5 will feature telecommunications functions it will infringe on a number of Samsung's wireless communications patents, no matter any other features.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hewsthat View Post

Apple filed legal action against Samsung over a product not yet released, altho Samsung had announced it. Of course there's very little doubt that a new iPhone will be announced by next month either.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple filed legal action against Samsung over a product not yet released, altho Samsung had announced it. Of course there's very little doubt that a new iPhone will be announced by next month either.

Yes, but Apple's product has not been shown at trade shows; not even the release of a spec sheet. Its very existence is not even acknowledged. That being the case, just what is it they are suing for? Be interesting to read the description of just what this thing no one has seen so can't judge or measure is doing that infringes.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Yes, but Apple's product has not been shown at trade shows; not even the release of a spec sheet. Its very existence is not even acknowledged. That being the case, just what is it they are suing for? Be interesting to read the description of just what this thing no one has seen so can't judge or measure is doing that infringes.

They haven't filed any action against the iPhone5. Who knows if any of this is true to begin with? Suppose we all just need to wait till at least next month to see what if anything is in the cards and why.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

They haven't filed any action against the iPhone5. Who knows if any of this is true to begin with? Suppose we all just need to wait till at least next month to see what if anything is in the cards and why.

Fair enough.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    If Samsung's legal documentation is stated specifically to be against the iPhone 5, emphasis on 'five', Apple just needs to rename it as the iPhone 5SiS. Which will be Apple's iPhone 5 Suck It Samsung!

Problem solved!

/

/

/
  • Reply 20 of 37
    What are the chances that Apple will hold their media event and announce that the next generation iPhone is in stores and on sale immediately after the event. Anyone think they could sell 2 million units before Samsung files the injunction papers?