LaCie begins shipping first sub-$1000 Thunderbolt hard drives

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suzerain View Post

I just wanted to say, not about Lacie specifically, but in general: I'm really disappointed by the speed to market of these Thunderbolt drives. I wonder what the huge technical hurdle is with testing or whatever? I expected that by now we'd have many thunderbolt options to choose from, but there are only a couple.

No competition yet.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Fast as hell? That's funny - my first thought was that it sounds pretty slow (the Lacie drive, not Thunderbolt). "boasting read speeds of up to 190 MB/s" Hmmm. just checked, I get 199 MB/sec on my Air. Oh yeah, that's consumer - an SSD, admittedly, but nonetheless. Now the 900 MB/sec raid SSD drives on Thunderbolt, those sound fast.

That's a silly argument. You're comparing conventional hard drives to SSD. Being able to get SSD performance from conventional drives IS impressive. How much would a 1 TB SSD cost you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

3) It appears the drive in question isn't the new 2.5" 1TB @ 5400RPM HDD with a 9.5mm thicknes, but the older drives @ 5200RPM with a 12.5mm thickness.

I'm wondering about the entire 2.5" drive choice. They're using a substantially slower and more expensive drive in order to save a small amount of space? it would be one thing if it were inside a laptop, but it's an external device. Seems to me that the logical choice would be to use 3.5" 7200 rpm drives across the board and have a completely separate device for SSDs. Better yet, use a hybrid hard disk for additional performance gains.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    if you wanted a setup for RAID 1 on this device then the pegasus is a better deal. the pegasus has 4 1 terabyte drives. if you do a RAID 5 then you get 3 terabyte usable space. if you do RAID 1 on the lacie you get 1 terabyte usable space.

500 dollars for 1 terabyte.

1,000 gets 3 terabyte.

so unless you are only interested in RAID 0 i wouldn't waste my money on the lacie.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    What a total rip off. The cost of the parts is no where near this retail price. It is pure supply and demand gouging. I expect to see this price halved soon as more companies hit the market.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What a total rip off. The cost of the parts is no where near this retail price. It is pure supply and demand gouging. I expect to see this price halved soon as more companies hit the market.

Then don't buy one.

It is, however, foolish to value something on the basis of the cost of the components. Are you aware the the value of the chemicals in the human body is less than $5? Is that the way YOU want to be valued?
  • Reply 66 of 70
    This drive is bus powered right?? Don't need to used the included power brick?
  • Reply 67 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's basically a lie to say he "attacked" AI.

How is insinuating that a company or writer is taking kick-backs to promote someone's product in a supposed news item ? which is highly unethical behavior ? NOT an attack?
  • Reply 68 of 70
    I guess that's fine, although a hefty price tag. Great if yyou need the storage space and speed for professionals (its like having an extra hard drive inside the computer without any speed lost).

For anyone who does not need an extra 4TB worth of memory, you can get a single 120GB SSD at 500+MB Read/Write for under $200! That's without raid.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I wouldn't say that their stuff is bad. I've had a number of their products over the years and haven't had any problems with them. My daughter has been using a LaCie drive for her Time machine back-up in college for almost two years without a problem. Next year I'll be replacing it. But I always do that with drive based products after three years, at the longest

Perhaps if you're using other people's used products, then you might expect to have more problems. I don't get used products from friends or elsewhere. At least, not products such as hard drives.

I had a LaCie big disk drive fail just out of warranty. Called their tech support - I was SOL. LaCie can go to and take their cheap-ass drives with them.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inslider View Post

I had a LaCie big disk drive fail just out of warranty. Called their tech support - I was SOL. LaCie can go to and take their cheap-ass drives with them.

I can speak for my own experience. Others can speak for theirs.

If their products were as bad as some people here were saying, they'd have been out of business years ago.