Intel's Ivy Bridge support for 4K resolution could pave way for "Retina" Macs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, I'm sure you know more about the performance of Intel's next generation of chips than they do.

They have already let out some info on Ivy Bridge, by intels expectation we can expect 30 to 60 percent better performance. Now if you need to drive 4X as many pixels then how do you get anything but a regression in video performance.

It isn't like this is guess work.

Quote:

That might be a valid argument - if Intel only sold one type of chip and if Intel chips were never used in systems with dedicated GPUs.

The thread is about Ivy Bridge not dedicated GPU's.

Quote:

Intel, OTOH, has differentiated the market and offers some chips with integrated graphics for low end systems and high end chips for more demanding needs. It's just really hard to see how improving their low end chip is a negative - just because it hasn't become a high end chip.

This is certainly the case, Intel has more chip variants than it really needs. However the problem isn't with high end hardware it is with low end hardware where reliance upon the integrated GPU exists. The question becomes this would an AIR or AIR like system benefit from a Retina like display if the overall performance of the video system declines?

I'm of mixed feelings on this one. They might be able to maintain 2D quality and performance but I'm pretty convinced that 3D will suffer unless Intel is holding back on us. The reason of course is all the extra pixels that need to be driven. It would be great to have an AIR with such a screen if it maintained current 2D performance, I'm just reluctant to believe that Ivy Bridge is capable in this context.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

They have already let out some info on Ivy Bridge, by intels expectation we can expect 30 to 60 percent better performance. Now if you need to drive 4X as many pixels then how do you get anything but a regression in video performance.

This appears to be relative specifically to gpu performance. Have they announced updated specs on cpus? Regarding the retina like displays, I don't think we'll see displays with that tight a pitch just yet, but perhaps LG will make more headway with ips panels on the laptop end. Right now very few have this option.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I don't see why Apple are so against Blu-ray.

Because it is a bag of hurt.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I'd hope to see the implementation of a popular HD disc based format before seeing super high res screens

Mega res vids take up mega room. I don't see why Apple are so against Blu-ray.

Just allow us to connect a USB (or thunderbolt) BD Rom drive and buy a bit of software. All you have to do is update OSX to allow it to happen. It's not like the Macs don't have the processing power.

Come to think of it, why is there no Blu-ray player software from 3rd parties?

There is a player by Macgo. Look up "Mac Blu-Ray Player" in your favorite search engine and you should find it. They offer a trial, so it's not like you lose anything trying it.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I wonder what the "wow factor" of the next iPad is going to be? I don't think the resolution + speed bump from iPad 2 will be enough for me to pick one up, but I'm sure Apple has something that will simply make buying the next iPad irresistable. I really wonder what it will be?

"Retina display" resolution would be a HUGE bonus on the iPad !! (IMO)

I (and a lot of others) use the iPad primarily for watching movies and reading (whether a book, an email, or a web-page)... And the extra resolution would be a huge benefit for that ... especially for text/reading.

The same argument could apply to laptop/desktop screens. A resolution that allows text to render more cleanly makes it ever-so-much more comfortable for folks who spend a lot of time reading off those monitors.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Intel quietly revealed last week that its next-generation Ivy Bridge processors will support the 4K display resolution, with up to 4096 x 4096 pixels per monitor, potentially paving the way for Apple to introduce high-resolution "Retina Display" Macs.

The world's largest chipmaker announced the news during a technical session at its Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco last week, as noted by VR-Zone. Ivy Bridge chips will rival competing discrete GPUs by including support for the 4K resolution when they arrive next year.

The company also highlighted a Multi Format Codec (MFX) engine that is capable of playing multiple 4K videos at once. The codec is also capable of handling video processing for 4K QuadHD video, a standard that YouTube began supporting last year.

A set of performance enhancements, with special attention to graphics, should give Ivy Bridge as much as a 60 percent performance boost over the current generation of Sandy Bridge chips, according to Intel.

Intel also revealed last week that Ivy Bridge chips will include support for Apple's OpenCL standard, which should give a performance boost to next-generation MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro models when they arrive in 2012.

If Apple were to introduce a 4K resolution display with the 16:9 ratio currently used in its Thunderbolt Display, iMac and MacBook Air products, the resulting resolution would be 4096 x 2304. A 27-inch display with 4K resolution would sport a pixel density of 174 pixels per inch. Assuming a working distance of 24 inches and 20/20 vision for the calculations, a 4K 27-inch iMac or Thunderbolt display would count as a "Retina Display."

Apple first began using the "Retina Display" marketing term with the iPhone 4 last year. Then CEO Steve Jobs touted the 326ppi display as being beyond the capabilities of the human retina when used at a distance of 12 or more inches from the eyes.

In September 2010, the company released a Retina Display iPod touch. Rumors have also swirled that Apple will follow suit with a high-resolution version of the third-generation iPad, doubling the resolution of the tablet to 2048 x 1536.

Of course, Macs that take full advantage of the 4K resolution capabilities built into future generations of Intel's chips would take some time to arrive, as Apple will need to resolve price and production constraints before releasing a Retina Display desktop or notebook. But, 3200 x 2000 desktop wallpapers were discovered in a Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion earlier this year and appear to telegraph a future resolution bump for Apple's line of Mac computers.

Also of note, Apple added 4K support to its Final Cut Pro video editing program when it released version X in June. However, Final Cut Pro X has caused a controversy, as some users have complained that the application is no longer "pro" software.

I'm sure this has been said but the Vertical is not 4K.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:

This is certainly the case, Intel has more chip variants than it really needs. However the problem isn't with high end hardware it is with low end hardware where reliance upon the integrated GPU exists. The question becomes this would an AIR or AIR like system benefit from a Retina like display if the overall performance of the video system declines?

I'm of mixed feelings on this one. They might be able to maintain 2D quality and performance but I'm pretty convinced that 3D will suffer unless Intel is holding back on us. The reason of course is all the extra pixels that need to be driven. It would be great to have an AIR with such a screen if it maintained current 2D performance, I'm just reluctant to believe that Ivy Bridge is capable in this context.

Which AMD's accelerated processing units do, strong Graphics, and weaker CPU (vs intel and same price) i can make a sub $400 dollar desktop with APU (with linux) that can play SC2 medium-high.....

the large problem with this is that AMD does graphics better, cheaper...

do wish there 4k videos would come soon though
  • Reply 48 of 54
    I was actually hoping that the Mini would get the APU treatment. considering how the Mini is used I thought it would have been a good fit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

Which AMD's accelerated processing units do, strong Graphics, and weaker CPU (vs intel and same price) i can make a sub $400 dollar desktop with APU (with linux) that can play SC2 medium-high.....

I'm wondering what series APU you are using? Not being a gamer I'm also wondering what is SC2? The interesting thing here is that I expect AMD to rev the GPU half of these chips faster than Intel ever could.

Quote:

the large problem with this is that AMD does graphics better, cheaper...

The only problem there is that Apple doesn't use AMD tech. If you have seen my other posts you will know this bothers me a bit.

Quote:

do wish there 4k videos would come soon though

Not me. I'm not at all pleased with the idea of buying a bunch of movies all over again. Not that many old movies would benefit that much from 4k, it is just that current content blown up that much may not fare well. However when the tech does come the first 4k variant that I'd go out and buy would be a copy of Blade Runner. That movie has a visual quality that really could benefit from 4k.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm sure this has been said but the Vertical is not 4K.

I don't remember anyone pointing that out. What is it then? I assumed that 4k x 4k is the available working area for OpenCL, not the actual intended monitor size. Think of it this way, if a 4k monitor is used in portrait mode, they're going to need that 4k vertical capability. This is just conjecture on my part though. The chance that someone's going to make a 4k square display is very low.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't remember anyone pointing that out. What is it then? I assumed that 4k x 4k is the available working area for OpenCL, not the actual intended monitor size. Think of it this way, if a 4k monitor is used in portrait mode, they're going to need that 4k vertical capability. This is just conjecture on my part though. The chance that someone's going to make a 4k square display is very low.

I think you have it exactly right.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:

I was actually hoping that the Mini would get the APU treatment. considering how the Mini is used I thought it would have been a good fit.

I'm wondering what series APU you are using? Not being a gamer I'm also wondering what is SC2? The interesting thing here is that I expect AMD to rev the GPU half of these chips faster than Intel ever could.

The only problem there is that Apple doesn't use AMD tech. If you have seen my other posts you will know this bothers me a bit.

Not me. I'm not at all pleased with the idea of buying a bunch of movies all over again. Not that many old movies would benefit that much from 4k, it is just that current content blown up that much may not fare well. However when the tech does come the first 4k variant that I'd go out and buy would be a copy of Blade Runner. That movie has a visual quality that really could benefit from 4k.

APU: A8-3850 (140)

RAM: 4GB @1600-1866 (40-60)

power supply: 350+ watt (30-60)

motherboard: supports APU's (70-100)

case: you might alraady have one (0-40)

using the maximum prices, this is $400.

SC2 is starcraft 2.

and you wouldn't have to buy older movies, unless you wanted the rez bump, you would just have higher rez new movies (provided you paided $5k+ for a TV...)
  • Reply 52 of 54
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Once monitors reach retina resolution, is there any point going any higher? Perhaps someone will invent an improvement to our eyes and we will be back at square one

Large screen projection systems. Try to see past the single Mac sitting in your living room.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:

I don't see why Apple are so against Blu-ray.

OS-level DRM. No one tells Apple what they put in their code.

Quote:

Just allow us to connect a USB (or thunderbolt) BD Rom drive and buy a bit of software.

YOU CAN DO THIS NOW. It already works to playback Blu-ray discs straight from the disc in OS X.

I really don't see why anyone's complaining. You've been able to do this for years.

Quote:

Come to think of it, why is there no Blu-ray player software from 3rd parties?

MakeMKV+VLC lets you do it. Pretty sure that's the combination. I haven't done it for years, and I only did it to prove it could be done.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

and you wouldn't have to buy older movies, unless you wanted the rez bump, you would just have higher rez new movies (provided you paided $5k+ for a TV...)

There is a handful of older movies I would upgrade to to get the resolution bump. Especially if 4K large screens quickly become economical. Some movies you do WATCH due to the visual qualities of the flick.