Apple offers first peek at new Hong Kong retail store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Customers passing by in Hong Kong's IFC Mall can now take a peek into the glass front doors of Apple's new retail store, set to open this Saturday.

The store sports Apple's trademark minimalistic style, with products displayed on wooden tables. A glass staircase with an illuminated Apple logo leading customers up to the second floor serves as the centerpiece of the retail space.

On Wednesday, people could be seen gathering in front of the store to take a peek at the inside of Apple's soon-to-open retail outlet. Earlier this week, the entrance was blocked by a metal grate, but now the lights are on inside the store as Apple gears up for Saturday's grand opening.

The store is said by one AppleInsider reader who visited to be about 40 to 50 meters wide and two stories. To get to the new Apple Store, customers can go to Exit A from Hong Kong Station, and use the escalator to go to the second floor of the IFC Mall.

The store has been under wraps for months as construction on the site took place leading up to this week's opening. The site is located inside the high-profile International Finance Center in Hong Kong.

The IFC is a waterfront commercial development in the city's Central District. It includes an onsite mall, where the Apple Store is located, that is a four-story shopping center with more than 200 stores found within.

Reports have suggested that Apple spent more than $20 million on construction alone for the project. The shop is expected to employ more than 300 people, and serve an estimate 40,000 customers each day.

Also set to open this Friday is a new store in Shanghai's Nanjing East. It will be Apple's third store in Shanghai, joining two in Beijing.

The new Shanghai store will be Apple's largest retail location yet in China, and is part of Apple's aggressive strategy to expand its retail presence in the nation of over 1 billion as it becomes a major part of the company's business. Apple opened its first store in China in 2008, prior to the Olympic games.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Looking at these photos and others from the other site, this looks like one of the most gorgeous stores they've made. While maybe not as iconic as the 5th Ave cube store or the Shanghai cylinder, I think this rivals the new London store and (at least the renderings of) the Grand Central Station store in terms of beauty.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Sexy. I wished the Apple Stores around my area looked more like this.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    "The new Shanghai store will be Apple's largest retail location yet in China, and is part of Apple's aggressive strategy to expand its retail presence in the nation of over 1 billion as it becomes a major part of the company's business"

China is over one billion by the population of the United States. 300 million. Yes this is a good market to be in.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the high-profile INternational Finance Center in Hong Kong.

Typos continue at the normal pace.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The title of this story is link bait.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    A glass staircase in Hong Kong is a big FAIL.

In no time, one can expect a group of random men start gathering at the bottom of the staircase peeking up. It will soon making headlines on newspapers and magazines as a "trap" for young women with skirt...

Sigh... that's the Hong Kong I know, and that's their culture. It's not New York.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Customers passing by in Hong Kong's IFC Mall can now take a peek into the glass front doors of Apple's new retail store, set to open this Saturday.

The store sports Apple's trademark minimalistic style, with products displayed on wooden tables. A glass staircase with an illuminated Apple logo leading customers up to the second floor serves as the centerpiece of the retail space.

On Wednesday, people could be seen gathering in front of the store to take a peek at the inside of Apple's soon-to-open retail outlet. Earlier this week, the entrance was blocked by a metal grate, but now the lights are on inside the store as Apple gears up for Saturday's grand opening.

The store is said by one AppleInsider reader who visited to be about 40 to 50 meters wide and two stories. To get to the new Apple Store, customers can go to Exit A from Hong Kong Station, and use the escalator to go to the second floor of the IFC Mall.

The store has been under wraps for months as construction on the site took place leading up to this week's opening. The site is located inside the high-profile International Finance Center in Hong Kong.

The IFC is a waterfront commercial development in the city's Central District. It includes an onsite mall, where the Apple Store is located, that is a four-story shopping center with more than 200 stores found within.

Reports have suggested that Apple spent more than $20 million on construction alone for the project. The shop is expected to employ more than 300 people, and serve an estimate 40,000 customers each day.

Also set to open this Friday is a new store in Shanghai's Nanjing East. It will be Apple's third store in Shanghai, joining two in Beijing.

The new Shanghai store will be Apple's largest retail location yet in China, and is part of Apple's aggressive strategy to expand its retail presence in the nation of over 1 billion as it becomes a major part of the company's business. Apple opened its first store in China in 2008, prior to the Olympic games.

Anyone have an update on Grand Central Station. I would think based on drawings and need to maintain architectural look and feel, should be open by mid November.

I can imagine the amount of business they would do for the last minute Christmas eve shoppers, assuming store has inventory left at that point.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lerico View Post

In no time, one can expect a group of random men start gathering at the bottom of the staircase peeking up. It will soon making headlines on newspapers and magazines as a "trap" for young women with skirt...

Sigh... that's the Hong Kong I know, and that's their culture. It's not New York.

I might be naive, but what the hell are you implying here? That's ridiculous.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Agree with you!!! It's going to be an issue I feel, Even though the steps seem like frosted glass the gaps between them are dangerous.

Will be there on Saturday to check it out! (The store that is..not the stairs)
  • Reply 10 of 19
    They weren't kidding when they said they'd be re rolling out many new stores per week for the rest of the quarter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maguro View Post

Typos continue at the normal pace.

It you again post only a simply typo without adding anything to the topic at hand I'll report for you attempting to jack the thread.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

I might be naive, but what the hell are you implying here? That's ridiculous.

I'm not naive, so I'll help you out here. It seems to me that he or she is implying that a lot of Asian men are perverts. In Japan, perverts groping women on trains was such a big problem that they now have women only subway cars.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'll report for you attempting to jack the thread.

Won't work. I've been doing it for a while now and still nothing. It's the only thing he ever posts, if you look at his history.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not naive, so I'll help you out here. It seems to me that he or she is implying that a lot of Asian men are perverts. In Japan, perverts groping women on trains was such a big problem that they now have women only subway cars.

That and also the other problem is the media. It will only take one pervert or one sensitive person to make a complain, and it will be on the front page of a magazine. They love those kind of headlines in order to sell their newspaper/magazine. The magazine will have full photo or computer generated illustration and list out the best 'viewpoint'...

My bet is it within 2 months, Apple will have to remove those seats below the staircase and frost the whole thing.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

The shop is expected to employ more than 300 people, and serve an estimate 40,000 customers each day.

Is this a typo?! 40,000 customers each day?!

Let's assume long-ish open hours, say 8am-midnight (it is HK, after all). 40,000 / 16 = 2,500 customers per hour, or 42 per minute. Is it even conceivable that almost 1 person every second can come through those doors 16 solid hours/day??
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

You are wrong, The Hong Kong culture that I know is not like that.

New York is worse. You don't understand New York culture.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

That and also the other problem is the media. It will only take one pervert or one sensitive person to make a complain, and it will be on the front page of a magazine. They love those kind of headlines in order to sell their newspaper/magazine. The magazine will have full photo or computer generated illustration and list out the best 'viewpoint'...

My bet is it within 2 months, Apple will have to remove those seats below the staircase and frost the whole thing.

Apple should deal with that particular problematic Fruit daily newspaper for making such a big deal.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Sexy. I wished the Apple Stores around my area looked more like this.

It is a little scary some of the flashiest Apple Stores are now being built in China.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Is anyone there now? I will be there around 1:30 PM this afternoon, but I've heard they're only going to let 25 people (!) in the store at a time. I don't think I'll get in today.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    It's really getting ridiculous how Apple, now the big dog on the block, so to speak, has become overwhelmed with lawsuits from every company out there. It gives Microsoft a break in being be targeted for a change.Gates should send Jobs a thank you card. IMO